Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jan 4, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #9,421 of 12,086
would still pick my purpleheart anyday

Yeah, I don't mean that at all as a disparagement of the purpleheart. They're made to be fun and euphonic, which is very different from "fidelity"

The purpleheart are great at what they do, they just do something different than neutrality and extreme resolution.

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #9,424 of 12,086
  I get plenty neutrality from my lowly Stax or AKG's. Nice to get a warm punchy sound from the TX00's or Meze's now and again :)

100% Agreed! My Stax are for neutral-ish high fidelity. My Purplehearts are for when I want a more bass-heavy signature for fun......not that the Stax aren't fun to begin with :)

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #9,425 of 12,086
  same, added the angled brainwavz pads and WOW. For 25 bucks it was such a great upgrade. 

How'd they impact the sound? I just got my Purplehearts last week- they're a lot of fun (l listen to lots of EDM) but ofc I'd like to make them better 
biggrin.gif

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #9,426 of 12,086
How'd they impact the sound? I just got my Purplehearts last week- they're a lot of fun (l listen to lots of EDM) but ofc I'd like to make them better :D

So here's the deal, it terms of clarity and soundstage, significant improvements! I was surprised when I still felt the bass bump too! It made the Purplehearts even more versatile than I could have hoped for, it can still be a bit bright though, but an EQ can take care of that. One warning is that if you want the narrow sound stage and the vocals and beats always right in your ears, the purplehearts lose a bit of that, and you'll notice the difference when you push the headphones against your ears and squish the memory foam a bit. It's just because the drivers are farther away from your head.

It's pretty tough to put the pads on, but honestly once I did, the comfort and quality of the sound made me so happy. It was totally worth the effort and money! highhllyyyy recommend

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #9,427 of 12,086
One warning is that if you want the narrow sound stage and the vocals and beats always right in your ears, the purplehearts lose a bit of that...

Argh, that figures. Male vocals are usually problematic for me on v-shaped signatures due to a scoop in the 400-800hz range on many of my headphones; perhaps an EQ bump in that region would help compensate and allow me to use the pads with an added benefit of larger stage/clarity (which would be a definite improvement). Still, for 25-30 bucks it seems like a no-brainer to experiment, at least.

Jan 6, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #9,429 of 12,086
I'm selling my purplehearts and someone inquired as to why I prefer the ebonies and mahoganies over them. I posted something similar in the past regarding the PHs and Mahoganies, but I thought I'd add this since I also included the ebonies in my response:

"A number of people have inquired, but no one has pulled the trigger yet. The reason I prefer the ebonies takes a little explanation. I bought all 3 variants (obviously) after I fell in love with the mahoganies and I couldn't resist checking out the so-called improvements. The differences among the three are very subtle. The purplehearts have a very small amount of increased treble energy to my ears. I can't even really notice it in quick A-B comparisons, but where I start to notice it is over long listening sessions, I would start to feel treble fatigue on particularly treble hot tracks. But, keep in mind that I feel like I'm treble sensitive. Also, because the peak of the bass curve is a little higher up the frequency response, I started to notice the mids being ever so slightly recessed compared to the mahoganies. Again, all of this is pretty subtle, but owning all three and needing to get rid of one, it became obvious that the PHs are just a little to "fun" for my tastes.

Comparing the Mahoganies and the Ebonies is even more nuanced. I think the ebonies are just a little more refined everywhere. The bass seems to extend just a little better, and the treble has lost just a tiny bit of edge. Again, barely noticeable if at all in short A-B comparisons, it seems to come out more over listening lengths of at least a track or two that is particularly treble hot. I used to listen to the mahoganies with EQ, I don't listen to the ebonies with EQ. If I ever only owned one of any three of these, I would have loved any one of them, the PHs included."

Jan 6, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #9,431 of 12,086
I'm selling my purplehearts and someone inquired as to why I prefer the ebonies and mahoganies over them. I posted something similar in the past regarding the PHs and Mahoganies, but I thought I'd add this since I also included the ebonies in my response:

"A number of people have inquired, but no one has pulled the trigger yet. The reason I prefer the ebonies takes a little explanation. I bought all 3 variants (obviously) after I fell in love with the mahoganies and I couldn't resist checking out the so-called improvements. The differences among the three are very subtle. The purplehearts have a very small amount of increased treble energy to my ears. I can't even really notice it in quick A-B comparisons, but where I start to notice it is over long listening sessions, I would start to feel treble fatigue on particularly treble hot tracks. But, keep in mind that I feel like I'm treble sensitive. Also, because the peak of the bass curve is a little higher up the frequency response, I started to notice the mids being ever so slightly recessed compared to the mahoganies. Again, all of this is pretty subtle, but owning all three and needing to get rid of one, it became obvious that the PHs are just a little to "fun" for my tastes.

Comparing the Mahoganies and the Ebonies is even more nuanced. I think the ebonies are just a little more refined everywhere. The bass seems to extend just a little better, and the treble has lost just a tiny bit of edge. Again, barely noticeable if at all in short A-B comparisons, it seems to come out more over listening lengths of at least a track or two that is particularly treble hot. I used to listen to the mahoganies with EQ, I don't listen to the ebonies with EQ. If I ever only owned one of any three of these, I would have loved any one of them, the PHs included."

Good description. I think this captures the amount of difference very well. It's subtle but very certainly there. I also fee the same way you feel about the three as well. I also get why some people prefer the purpleheart.

Based on your stated tastes, I'd highly recommend doing the Lawton damping treatment, either just buying from Lawton or doing a home version. I just bought from them because I didn't feel like doing the painstaking measurement and cutting myself, and was fine paying Lawton to do it. But if you've got the time and cutting skills, it's easy enough to do yourself.

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #9,435 of 12,086
I'm just too scared to do anything like that, though I realllly would love a mod like this.

I didn't have to drill the frame... but everything else had to be modified. O'well. Live and learn I guess. Still sounds great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back