Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 24, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #9,391 of 12,086

I had both and tested them for hours and hours and hours.  There is very little difference.  I ended up selling the mahogany because I intend to get the Ebonys when they come back to Massdrop next time.

X2. They are the same headphones, just the wood cup changed. It only changes the sound signature very slightly, hard to even discern the difference. This whole "gotta catch em all" thing is really stupid, only good if you want to spend your money for the same thing over and over again cause the cups look different. 

There's so many other headphones you can buy and try with different sound signature rather than buying the same thing 2-3 times.

I'm only talking about the X00 variants. The TH900 are in a different class and sound very different.

Dec 24, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #9,392 of 12,086

X2. They are the same headphones, just the wood cup changed. It only changes the sound signature very slightly, hard to even discern the difference. This whole "gotta catch em all" thing is really stupid, only good if you want to spend your money for the same thing over and over again cause the cups look different. 

There's so many other headphones you can buy and try with different sound signature rather than buying the same thing 2-3 times.

I'm only talking about the X00 variants. The TH900 are in a different class and sound very different.

wanted to add that even the TH-600 is different enough from the TH-X00 that I could see someone keeping both, but not for me, the TH-600 is clearly a better sounding headphone to me and the TH-900 is a little better than the TH-600 but not worth the price premium IMO.

Dec 25, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #9,393 of 12,086
Got my th-x00 mahogany a day or two back, still going through the burn-in. I also bought a idsd micro to go along with it for x-mas....so far: IDK what the hell I've been listening to the last 20 odd years, but if THIS is what music is supposed to be THAT wasn't it. It's like watching 4k for the first time after a lifetime of crappy pirated/streaming quality video at 240p.

I was going through my music collection, and put on some lindsey stirling FLACs I'd got a while back...I started crying. O.M.G, the emotions come through so well. And acoustic songs are just HEAVEN.

Dec 25, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #9,394 of 12,086
Got my th-x00 mahogany a day or two back, still going through the burn-in. I also bought a idsd micro to go along with it for x-mas....so far: IDK what the hell I've been listening to the last 20 odd years, but if THIS is what music is supposed to be THAT wasn't it. It's like watching 4k for the first time after a lifetime of crappy pirated/streaming quality video at 240p.

I was going through my music collection, and put on some lindsey stirling FLACs I'd got a while back...I started crying. O.M.G, the emotions come through so well. And acoustic songs are just HEAVEN.

Awesome, good for you, I'm right there with you. Just got mine a few days ago and can't believe I've been missing out for so long. Really impressed with how awesome real instruments sound now. A whole new world of music opened up for me. Live long and prosper! \\//

Dec 25, 2016 at 4:51 AM Post #9,395 of 12,086
Dec 25, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #9,396 of 12,086
I went this same route. Bought the ZMF Pilot Pad and Eikon pads and true to an earlier impression, the pads do retain most of the signature of the original pads with much improved comfort. I have the original, Alpha, TH600/900, Brainwavz (hybrid and angular), and D2000 pads, so soon I'd like to do some comparisons.

I wear a 7 5/8" hat and with the pilot pad on the PH,I have the adjusters fully extended and I get a perfect fit. The pilot pad feels like a pillow on your head and makes the headphone MUCH more comfortable, though it's not dramatically that uncomfortable in stock form.

Ahh, my hat size is the fairly standard 7 1/4. With the Pilot Pad, I'm using only 2-3 notches on the adjusters on each side.

The combination of Pilot Pad with the Omni Lambskin pads cradles my entire head in pillowy softness! :D My biggest complaint is the clamp is TOO loose.

Dec 26, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #9,398 of 12,086
Totally different sound, Foster sound more dynamic and more extent in highs as well.

Dec 27, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #9,400 of 12,086
so torn between the ebony's and the purplehearts.  uuggghhh

Dec 28, 2016 at 4:31 AM Post #9,402 of 12,086
Guys quick question, last few hours/days it's been a bit "sibilant" to the point where it's a bit annoying. It wasn't like that (or maybe it's my brain?). Has anyone experienced sudden onset sibilance with the mahogany th-x00? I'm kinda hoping it'll go away soon (and that I didn't do something to cause it?!). (Running it off of Macbook+Audirvana --> Ifi IDSD Micro).

Note: this MAY be me just getting used to the amount of bass on these headphones, since I come from AKG K271

Note 2: This headphones has ruined me for anything else. I went to a restaurant with live music a few hours ago and all i could think was "man thats good music, but the audio setup is so terrible, wish I had my heaphones!"

Dec 30, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #9,403 of 12,086
This has probably already been covered, but this thread is 627 pages long, and there's no way I'm going searching, ha ha.

Based off what I've read, the TH-X00 is based off the TH-610, not the TH-900, correct?

I'm a little confused because Mass Drop claims that the $449 and $499 prices (depending on the type of wood) are discounted by around 55%... Which would mean the non-discounted price would be roughly that of the TH-900, and much higher than the TH-610.

Marketing BS, right? They are basically a tuned TH-610 with more cup options, offered at essentially the same price as you can find a standard TH-610 for, correct?..

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #9,405 of 12,086
This has probably already been covered, but this thread is 627 pages long, and there's no way I'm going searching, ha ha.

Based off what I've read, the TH-X00 is based off the TH-610, not the TH-900, correct?

I'm a little confused because Mass Drop claims that the $449 and $499 prices (depending on the type of wood) are discounted by around 55%... Which would mean the non-discounted price would be roughly that of the TH-900, and much higher than the TH-610.

Marketing BS, right? They are basically a tuned TH-610 with more cup options, offered at essentially the same price as you can find a standard TH-610 for, correct?..

IIRC the TH-X00 series is based of the older TH-600 which is now the TH-610 (wood cups and removable cable).  Massdrop marketing to make it sound like a really great deal, which it is considering the TH-600 was usually sold at $600 with a MSRP of $900 I think.
Are the 610 based off 900?

No, they use different drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back