Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 23, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #9,361 of 12,087
  Think you are spot on there, my EL8 is the open version and from the first generation so it might explain why I like it since it doesn't sound like the newer Dec 2015 version that I heard a few months ago.  Also, its still the only headphone that I've heard any type of burn-in on, it went from dark/warm to warm/neutral over a period of 200-250 hours, the change was quite drastic and my GF and a few other friends also commented on it.  Its also one of the few headphones that sound better on SS amps versus tubes to me, I actually prefer the headphone output of my UD-301 over my friends Liquid Glass, go figure.

The TH-X00 has just a touch of distortion in the bass and mids to me, could be from the hard ear pads which don't seem to seal well compared to the larger opening and deeper ear pads of the TH-600.  It could also be the wood cups causing some resonance which could be causing the distortion.  I noticed the slight distortion with some classical tracks that I have in my play list that I use when I want to compare headphones but with pop, rock and classic rock it hard to pick up the slight distortion.  I can't remember if I put some dynamat on the cups of my TH-600 when I did the removable cable for them so that might also be a reason.

Hope you are having a great x-mas season,
beerchug.gif

You feel the 2015 version of the EL-8O is better than the 2016? I have recently sold mine, so I can't try them on the Deckard that I picked up. Sad really. I'd like to have heard it on a better amp than the Vali 2, as I feel the LCD-2f has definitely increased sonically and enjoyability going from the Schiit stack to the Deckard. I actually haven't tried the TH-X00 PH on it, but will be doing that soon. Still scouring this thread for the part numbers so that I can make a removable cable (as I'm going to be building cables on vacation next week).

Dec 23, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #9,362 of 12,087
  You feel the 2015 version of the EL-8O is better than the 2016? I have recently sold mine, so I can't try them on the Deckard that I picked up. Sad really. I'd like to have heard it on a better amp than the Vali 2, as I feel the LCD-2f has definitely increased sonically and enjoyability going from the Schiit stack to the Deckard. I actually haven't tried the TH-X00 PH on it, but will be doing that soon. Still scouring this thread for the part numbers so that I can make a removable cable (as I'm going to be building cables on vacation next week).

I think the EL8 that I have is better than the newer Dec 2015 version but since there was much discussion on the differences when they first came out its hard to say, might have lucked out with a golden one.

What connectors will you be using on the TH-X00 PH?  The SMC that is recommend is from: https://vetco.net/products/smc-female-chassis-mount-connector

Dec 23, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #9,363 of 12,087

I knew someone would say this, and I'm telling you: NO.

This is not difference in the wood itself. There's a reason I asked about people with clear coat experience, since I have that.

This is someone putting too much lacquer on, creating a hazy, milky surface finish that is on top of the wood grain itself.

You may try to explain this away just by looking at a photo, but I'm telling you, it's quite easy to tell when you have the cups in front of you.

I sold them recently because I wasn't listening to them much, but I noticed a similar slight milkiness that developed on my mahoganies from the initial drop. The lacquer was bright and clear when they first arrived.

There are lots of temperature swings in my office where I was keeping them. Could that have contributed? 

Dec 23, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #9,364 of 12,087
  I think the EL8 that I have is better than the newer Dec 2015 version but since there was much discussion on the differences when they first came out its hard to say, might have lucked out with a golden one.

What connectors will you be using on the TH-X00 PH?  The SMC that is recommend is from: https://vetco.net/products/smc-female-chassis-mount-connector

Thanks! Those will be the ones that I use then.

Dec 23, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #9,365 of 12,087

Thanks! Those will be the ones that I use then.

Some where back in the thread someone made a great tutorial on how to do the mod, might want to check out that post http://www.head-fi.org/t/788776/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00-review/7050#post_12680034

Dec 23, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #9,366 of 12,087
  Think you are spot on there, my EL8 is the open version and from the first generation so it might explain why I like it since it doesn't sound like the newer Dec 2015 version that I heard a few months ago.  Also, its still the only headphone that I've heard any type of burn-in on, it went from dark/warm to warm/neutral over a period of 200-250 hours, the change was quite drastic and my GF and a few other friends also commented on it.  Its also one of the few headphones that sound better on SS amps versus tubes to me, I actually prefer the headphone output of my UD-301 over my friends Liquid Glass, go figure.

The TH-X00 has just a touch of distortion in the bass and mids to me, could be from the hard ear pads which don't seem to seal well compared to the larger opening and deeper ear pads of the TH-600.  It could also be the wood cups causing some resonance which could be causing the distortion.  I noticed the slight distortion with some classical tracks that I have in my play list that I use when I want to compare headphones but with pop, rock and classic rock it hard to pick up the slight distortion.  I can't remember if I put some dynamat on the cups of my TH-600 when I did the removable cable for them so that might also be a reason.

Hope you are having a great x-mas season,
beerchug.gif

yeah, I think the THX00 is a very fit dependent headphone.  I get a great fit with the stock pads, and they're very comfortable to me, but I totally understand that's not the case for everybody.  A nother note is that it took quite a bit of playing around with rotating the pads to find precisely the right angle.  Getting just the right angle for the pads made a surprisingly large difference in sound quality and signature.  I also think the Lawton mod (which is more or less dynamat + a small piece of foam) cleaned up some ringing/distortion in the bass, as did the ebony cups.  I thought it was great as was stock, but definitely think the lawton+ebony improved it technically while keeping almost all of its strengths.  

(having sufficiently added value on topic, now veering off topic for those who are allergic, just read the above on topic and disregard)
Great holiday so far, as I'm done with work for the rest of the year.  Also my fiancee's present to me just got delivered ( https://kendalhyde.com/collections/briefs-leather-briefcases/products/classic-satchel-new-design ).  I know what it is, and it's here, but I can't open it until she gets home, haha.  I don't know if she's going to make me wait until christmas.  

Dec 23, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #9,368 of 12,087
  After swapping pads, I've noticed that the foam tuning ring on my X00s is slightly out of place on both sides. I've tried to rotate it to align with the screws, but I can't get it to work and I don't want to ruin anything. Anyone have experience with this? @fjrabon @Whitigir

what do you mean you can't get it to work?  Like the tuning ring won't move?  It seems they use a very light adhesive on them, but just pull on it gently and it will move.  It will then re-stick when you put it how you want it.  

Dec 23, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #9,370 of 12,087
Ok, so I ordered one of the metal hangers off of the fullcompass website (http://www.fullcompass.com/).  It came in and was a perfect fit.  However, when trying to remove the metal shaft that connects the hanger to the headband the screw broke off, leaving half of the screw inside the metal shaft.  So, I ordered these parts from fullcompass (Fostex 1420562475 Shaft for TH-900) and (Fostex 8204552288  M2X6 BD Screw for TH900).  Everything came in rather quickly.

When trying to put the headphones back together I realized the metal shaft for the TH-900 I got from fullcompass did NOT fit the metal hangers from the TH-X00/TH-600.  Luckily, I have a dremel power tool and, using the other metal shaft as a reference, I very carefully dremeled the metal off the TH-900 shaft on each side so it would fit into the hanger.  I put everything back together, let the glue cure for the pieces that connect the hanger to the earphone cup back and now my PurpleHearts are as good as new.

However, it was an entire pain in the butt to get everything done.  Taking apart and putting these headphones back together is definitely no easy task and can take a couple of hours if you are careful.

I have a small album of a few of the photos I took from the 'operation'.  You can view them here-> http://imgur.com/a/azrW6

Just wanted to say thank you again, SHAMuuu.  Everything worked out in the end and I can finally enjoy my Fostex again.  :)

Dec 24, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #9,371 of 12,087
Good news for people who ordered the Dekoni pads. Due to persistent and vocal feedback, they understood a lot of people didn't like the change in sounds and stated that in the near future, they would be trying to offer plastic attenuation ring inserts. Huzzah!

Dec 24, 2016 at 4:56 AM Post #9,372 of 12,087
How big of a different between mahogany and purpleheart? With purpleheart is currently being drop at massdrop is it worth getting another one?

I currently have the mahogany and emu teak the difference between them are not that big imho.

Dec 24, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #9,373 of 12,087
How big if a different between mahogany and purpleheart? With purpleheart is currently being drop at massdrop issue worth getting?

I currently have the mahogany and emu teak the difference between them are not that big imho.

Not speaking from experience, only parroting what others have expressed........the difference between the X00's apparently isn't very much.

Personally speaking now, I'm keeping my X00 PH and my next pair will be the E-MU Teak...and I'll experiment with different woods on the E-MU rather than buying multiple sets of headphones.

I'd venture to say that upgrading either the X00  or the E-MU with TH900 drivers, as someone did a few pages back, would be a more worthwhile investment. I have also had a positive experience installing the Lawton Tune-Up (minus the cup damping) on my Purplehearts.

Dec 24, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #9,374 of 12,087
How big of a different between mahogany and purpleheart? With purpleheart is currently being drop at massdrop is it worth getting another one?

I brought my Purpleheart headphones to a meet earlier this year where one of the members had the original Mahogany. While I found the difference to be much greater than I expected, the differences were still subtle. It was more that I was accustomed to my headphone such that the difference to me seemed more dramatic.

I certainly would not advise the purchase of Purpleheart if you are seeking a vastly different sound from you Mahogany. That said, I'm still interested in the Ebony 
wink_face.gif

Dec 24, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #9,375 of 12,087

Bought a pilot pad intended for ZMF Vibro MKll purpleheart instead it went above.:nerd:

Not advisable for large head!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back