Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 15, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #9,241 of 12,086
Y
  Glad to see the Ebony edition has better coating. But I am still surprised by the lack of initial impressions from the sound. It is still early, but come folks... The sound difference is where the real discussion should be at IMO

Yeah, discussing disappointment in the finish of the wood grain seems like a fool's errand, imho. It's a rare, endangered wood. We should be lucky they could source ebony at all. Also, it's frickin' wood. It grows out of the ground naturally. There will always be variance in the finish/grain. Complaining about it is sorta misses the point. Think about it like this-- IT IS UNIQUE.

As far as sound quality goes, I can't compare the EBs to the MHs but I thought the PHs were too exaggerated for me. The EB gets really close to my perfect frequency response. And of course, the sound that it does pump out is exceptional.

Dec 15, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #9,242 of 12,086
  I returned my PH when I had the chance. Not to take advantage of Massdrop, but I was planning to sell either the PH or Ebony after I could compare them. Having the coating issue, I didn't want to risk even more of a loss if I ended up selling the PH.

However, I am thoroughly enjoying the Ebony! They have great extension and very controlled bass. I listen to mainly rock and metal. Guitars sound nice and crunchy. It's really great!

Awesome to hear. I own the Purpleheart and think they are an extremely exciting headphone, but am definitely looking to buy the Ebony for it's slightly more neutral tuning. And awesome profile picture man! I also own the Soundmagic HP100's :3

Dec 15, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #9,243 of 12,086
  Y
Yeah, discussing disappointment in the finish of the wood grain seems like a fool's errand, imho. It's a rare, endangered wood. We should be lucky they could source ebony at all. Also, it's frickin' wood. It grows out of the ground naturally. There will always be variance in the finish/grain. Complaining about it is sorta misses the point. Think about it like this-- IT IS UNIQUE.

As far as sound quality goes, I can't compare the EBs to the MHs but I thought the PHs were too exaggerated for me. The EB gets really close to my perfect frequency response. And of course, the sound that it does pump out is exceptional.

Amen to that bruh. I actually love the exaggerated excitement from the PH's, so the ebony's should be a good addition to that signature.

Dec 15, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #9,244 of 12,086
  Awesome to hear. I own the Purpleheart and think they are an extremely exciting headphone, but am definitely looking to buy the Ebony for it's slightly more neutral tuning. And awesome profile picture man! I also own the Soundmagic HP100's :3

Thanks! The photo is quite outdated. I have a different desk, monitor setup, and audio setup (replaced HE-500 with HE-6, replaced magni 2U with a power amp and have an Emotiva XDA-2 DAC/pre amp). I should get an updated one.

Dec 15, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #9,247 of 12,086
I believe this is the first X00 with 900 drivers and silver-gold wires with removable cables and all the good stuff. It is not mine, but damn...that sound

Hmmm.. I really want to try the TH900 driver transplant into the THX00. That is the only thing aside from the cups, pads, and foam that sets them apart from each other.

But.. Denon AHD-7200?? Is this the holy grail headphone we have been waiting for? Basically a more luxurious D7000/THX00 with a new biocellulose driver and beautiful detachable cables.. not the ugly ones on the TH900 mk2 and TH610

Dec 15, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #9,249 of 12,086

Hmmm.. I really want to try the TH900 driver transplant into the THX00. That is the only thing aside from the cups, pads, and foam that sets them apart from each other.

But.. Denon AHD-7200?? Is this the holy grail headphone we have been waiting for? Basically a more luxurious D7000/THX00 with a new biocellulose driver and beautiful detachable cables.. not the ugly ones on the TH900 mk2 and TH610

not very much info out there about its sound quality.  Guess we will see.

Dec 15, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #9,250 of 12,086
Did someone say Ebony?
And then someone said removable cables...

[TRIGGERED]

Some may disagree with my mmcx choice, but this is the most cost-effective, convenient and reversible mod I could come up with.
Good thing the nice yet serpertian cable isn't a drag anymore.

In the right light, this beautiful wood speaks to you, and shows all it's glory.

#TeamEMU

Yeah, those are the V-Moda pads. They are indeed slaves to this throne
deadhorse.gif

Dec 15, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #9,253 of 12,086
Yup. The same.

Is the MMCX connector proprietary? How does it compare with a 2.5 mm connector on the mod both in fit and function? Is it a plug or some type of locking connector? Sorry, I have never owned a Shure nor seen this connector in person. Thanks.

BTW, awesome mod. I liked your silver one as well.

Dec 15, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #9,254 of 12,086

Yup. The same.

Is the MMCX connector proprietary? How does it compare with a 2.5 mm connector on the mod both in fit and function? Is it a plug or some type of locking connector? Sorry, I have never owned a Shure nor seen this connector in person. Thanks.

BTW, awesome mod. I liked your silver one as well.

Haha thanks for the appreciation.

Ok now this mmcx connector is the most common IEM mechanism. If you look around, Shure IEMs especially (215, 535 etc. etc.) all use this, and their bigger cans in the 15XX scheme have this too. This connector is open source and not the exact one used on any audio product - none that I know. My understanding is that this is probably for some telecom devices where mmcx and mcx are mostly used. I got the stuff off ebay and AliEx. You'll see a constellation of these, and the plugs or inserts (DIY, and various different qualities from low to high prices) all over the internet. In fact, you just google "shure cable" and 90% of the stuff that will pop up, is this.

I tried building around the 2.5mm and followed it through for a while, but it wasn't ideal. The biggest problem with these wonderful variants of cans is that the design does not permit an easy removable cable mod. So, against common perception (giving cans, an mmcx connector, of all options), these receptacles are the only ones that work... there's just... almost enough space to put these in there. The holes in the frame will not allow any bigger jacks to sit in there, and even the slimmest 2.5mm female can't pass through them. So that's out of the question.

1) You either have to let the wires hang outside (which still isn't as nice looking, say, to me, and still inconvenient and looks out of place). I wanted a solid mod with no parts hanging around like unwanted limbs.

2) OR, someone around here I've seen is modding these cans by drilling the holes WIDER and making room for those SMC sort of connectors used on old Hifimans.

I wanted to do something reversible, and that doesn't ask for drastic modifications or cutting and drilling.

I finally, after a few couple of other tries (of different kinds of sleeker, mmcx connectors) , found these which coincidentally just hit the right spot. If you check those EMU threads or my review, I've attached the links to help people try it themselves.

This connector has a wide disc on one side. You put it in from outside the frame. On the other side, it has rings and a nut that rotates around it and just fits it firmly. Some soldering and adjusting things, and you're good.

Look at those photos. They'll give you the idea.

Dec 15, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #9,255 of 12,086
Haha thanks for the appreciation.

Ok now this mmcx connector is the most common IEM mechanism. If you look around, Shure IEMs especially (215, 535 etc. etc.) all use this, and their bigger cans in the 15XX scheme have this too. This connector is open source and not the exact one used on any audio product - none that I know. My understanding is that this is probably for some telecom devices where mmcx and mcx are mostly used. I got the stuff off ebay and AliEx. You'll see a constellation of these, and the plugs or inserts (DIY, and various different qualities from low to high prices) all over the internet. In fact, you just google "shure cable" and 90% of the stuff that will pop up, is this.

I tried building around the 2.5mm and followed it through for a while, but it wasn't ideal. The biggest problem with these wonderful variants of cans is that the design does not permit an easy removable cable mod. So, against common perception (giving cans, an mmcx connector, of all options), these receptacles are the only ones that work... there's just... almost enough space to put these in there. The holes in the frame will not allow any bigger jacks to sit in there, and even the slimmest 2.5mm female can't pass through them. So that's out of the question.

1) You either have to let the wires hang outside (which still isn't as nice looking, say, to me, and still inconvenient and looks out of place). I wanted a solid mod with no parts hanging around like unwanted limbs.

2) OR, someone around here I've seen is modding these cans by drilling the holes WIDER and making room for those SMC sort of connectors used on old Hifimans.

I wanted to do something reversible, and that doesn't ask for drastic modifications or cutting and drilling.

I finally, after a few couple of other tries (of different kinds of sleeker, mmcx connectors) , found these which coincidentally just hit the right spot. If you check those EMU threads or my review, I've attached the links to help people try it themselves.

This connector has a wide disc on one side. You put it in from outside the frame. On the other side, it has rings and a nut that rotates around it and just fits it firmly. Some soldering and adjusting things, and you're good.

Look at those photos. They'll give you the idea.

Thanks for the response. I searched your post on the EMU thread and all the info was there. Do you find the connectors sturdy given that you aren't using them exactly as intended (ring outside and needle bent)? Are you done at this point or is there still some desire for a better solution? Have you seen the new EMU detachable cable connectors? The new EMU connectors seem like the connector housing is attached to the outside of the cup but I'm only commenting from photos, nothing I've seen in person. Curious is this same system or something like it is compatible with the THX00? Have you ever run across a 2.5 mm connector with an externally attached housing? Of course nothing dangling out of the cup, just somewhat "flush-mounted" to the cup. Last question is that if you were to Cup roll, do you have to desolder and resolder the connectors every time?

I like your solution, just wish I could limit the number of connection types for cables to my headphones so I don't need a different cable for every can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back