Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Aug 16, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #8,086 of 12,086
I got mine today and I must say I am very disappointed with the finish. It is far from what you would expect from Fostex.
It almost looks like the cups were wrapped in bubble wrap before the lacquer was totally dry. I even have a nice scratch right above the cable entry.

Anybody else with this problem?

I'd contact Massdrop support and ask for a replacement. Should be no issue. They usually hold about 50 units for replacing faulty ones in drops like this (exclusive).

Aug 16, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #8,087 of 12,086
Yeah, I posted pictures of my Purplehearts earlier today on this thread. If you look closely, the lacquer is not smooth and there are small circles that resemble fingeprints/bubble wrap/water stains on the cups. I wouldn't say I'm disappointed, because people mentioned this issue with the Mahogany version as well (although I did hope MD would have resolved the problem after becoming aware of it). The headphones do look fantastic and they're the best looking cans I've ever seen in person, but when examining them in good light there are certainly imperfections on the lacquer coating. For $450, I would expect better quality control.

Aug 16, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #8,088 of 12,086
Yeah, I posted pictures of my Purplehearts earlier today on this thread. If you look closely, the lacquer is not smooth and there are small circles that resemble fingeprints/bubble wrap/water stains on the cups. I wouldn't say I'm disappointed, because people mentioned this issue with the Mahogany version as well (although I did hope MD would have resolved the problem after becoming aware of it). The headphones do look fantastic and they're the best looking cans I've ever seen in person, but when examining them in good light there are certainly imperfections on the lacquer coating. For $450, I would expect better quality control.

I also have the Mahogany TH-X00 and was lucky enough to get an ok one. The lacquer was not perfectly smooth but it was nothing dramatic. But these "fingeprints/bubble wrap/water stains" on the purpleheart... As you said, you would expect better quality control on a $450 headphone.

I'd contact Massdrop support and ask for a replacement. Should be no issue. They usually hold about 50 units for replacing faulty ones in drops like this (exclusive).

I live in Switzerland and I don't really want to go through all the mess of having to send these back. Don't want to pay for shipping and customs again. I think I'll try and redo the lacquer myself. Might even go with a satin finish. Who knows? :)

Aug 16, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #8,089 of 12,086
I actually think they're perfect for office use. I can still hear my phone ring, but they don't leak sound out enough to disturb my office mate who sits 5 feet away. Leakage out mostly depends on how loudly you listen. If you're listening above 95dB, then yeah, they leak too much for office use. If you listen 85dB and below, it mostly depends on if you need to block more noise out or. It.

It could be that the "semi-closed" design of these actually functions as a bass port which adds pneumatic loading to the driver, tuned by the amount of air allowed to "leak".  
Many bass reflex speakers use the a front mounted port that augments the woofer's output.  What escapes are the lower frequencies and with the 50mm driver in these TH series 'phones, there won't much audible sound once you are a few feet away. That's why you don't see quality speakers with tiny woofers. 

Aug 16, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #8,090 of 12,086
Some pictures of mine. Have not yet found a scratch and my finish seems pretty good, but maybe I just haven't captured it in the right light to notice?

Aug 16, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #8,092 of 12,086
Mine are with me in the basement with poor lighting, so I moved them around in the light that I have... guess what, I too have the damn bubble wrap marks. I've tried polishing and it doesn't help. They sound great though. I'm on hour 18 of burn in. Just popped them on my head while Godsmack was playing. Hehe.

Aug 16, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #8,094 of 12,086
I'm really shocked at how reflective the finish is. I figured the Massdrop pictures were going to be about the same as comparing the pictures on a fast food menu to what you actually get. So far these sound great. I was initially worried they would be too V shaped sounding to me, but so far I'm enjoying them. In November I'll compare them to the Ebony and see which one I keep. While I do enjoy the level of bass, I am hoping the bass extension of the ebony is enough to make me want to keep them.

Aug 16, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #8,095 of 12,086
Am I crazy or do the Purplehearts sound darker without the sharp highs of the Mahogany's?

I've been going back and forth between the two and I've noticed the bass is warmer and more plentiful on the PHs, but not bloated.

Mahog's are definitely more sharp, not as deep bass wise and almost seem bright compared to the PH.

As good as these PH's sound they still cant dethrone my EMU Teak's, Teak's are just so damn balanced, sound stage is huge and freaking detailed.

Overall I'm really digging the PH's though, they're definitely a 'fun' headphone.

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #8,096 of 12,086

I like the visual match of my TH-X00 Mahogany with my Sieveking Omega Walnut stand.

By the way, does someone know of a good oil/wax for the Omega? After over 2.5 years, the wood is a little scruffy in some places.

Alternatively I could also ask the company that makes the Omega as OEM for Sieveking audio that I think I found out by accident when browsing for some videos on YouTube or especially searching for how the Omega was made a couple of years ago.

Depends on the finish. Is it a lacquer/clearcoat/varnish/polyurethane type finish? Or is it unsealed, and its final finish was of an oil or wax type?
Also, is it veneer, and if so, is it real wood veneer or synthetic?

Uh, so many questions.
smile.gif
 I didn't know it's that important.

From what I can tell, the finish is oil and/or wax, as the surface feels and looks silky smooth.
Yes, it's real wood veneer that was shaped in a vacuum press.

I'll send you the video that shows how the Omega stands are made in a PM in just a second.

It probably makes more sense to ask the company that makes these stands though, as they should know best what they used, though I have to see if they even have a website or if I can find a phone number.

Aug 17, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #8,097 of 12,086
  Any tips on how to preserve the finish? Like a coating of some sort?

an extreme move would be to put clear 3M auto vinyl on them. Best thing other than that would be to just be careful, or sand the factory finish off, and put your own heavy duty one on.

Aug 17, 2016 at 2:29 AM Post #8,098 of 12,086
I just received these and had a chance to listen briefly, so these impressions are not conclusive. At least thus far, they sound absolutely fantastic from the ZDS (will try on SS amp tomorrow). Much of the resonance and sharpness of the Mahogany is gone, though I did love the Mahogany and agree with others this comes down to preference. These seem more focused and slightly more refined than the Mahogany. I have been mostly listening to piano and classical but am anticipating excellent results with electronic and jazz.

I find it interesting that some of the pictures here indicate a darker wood, almost a true purple, to what was seen in the original photos on Massdrop. There, these almost seemed red/pink, but in person, they are certainly more of a darker, purple color. Would this indicate that they have slid closer to the dark brown that purpleheart tends towards when exposed to sunlight?

I did notice some bubble wrap tarnishing the finish a bit.

I am guessing Massdrop will be getting a lot of complaints about this with this run. It would appear there was a rush to deadline that resulted in packaging and shipping the headphones prior to them curing properly.

I did not have this issue with the Mahogany.

The sound, however, has been very impressive and is leaving very little to be desired from this driver, at least until I get to hear the Ebony perhaps.

Aug 17, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #8,100 of 12,086
Anyone know if the HTC 10 can drive the Fostex x-00?

Listening to my Mahogany TH-X00 on my HTC 10 now. Sounds fantastic, and plenty loud at just over half volume. I'm not using Boomsound, because that always just seems to make it more bassy, and these are plenty bassy enough for me already.

Maybe they'd sound better with an amp and a DAC, and I'd like to try one at some point, but they're easy to drive headphones and the HTC 10 seems to be doing a fine job of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back