Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Aug 16, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #8,071 of 12,086
I keep my TH-X00 at work which is where I do most of my listening, but every day on the commute home I use Shure SE215 IEMs, but I miss the sweet sound of my TH-X00 (That bass! It's not even the quantity, it's the quality, my DT770 has the quantity, but not the quality...).
Does somebody know of portable headphones or IEMs which sound as sweet as the TH-X00? I'd love a recommendation. Thanks!

Aug 16, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #8,072 of 12,086
I wish people would stop rlcalling the TH-X00s close back as they are not. Semi-closed yes, as they leak so much that are not suitable for office environment. Hence the "amazing" sound stage for a "closed" can, ha ha ha!

I actually think they're perfect for office use. I can still hear my phone ring, but they don't leak sound out enough to disturb my office mate who sits 5 feet away. Leakage out mostly depends on how loudly you listen. If you're listening above 95dB, then yeah, they leak too much for office use. If you listen 85dB and below, it mostly depends on if you need to block more noise out or. It.

Aug 16, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #8,073 of 12,086
See, I read this a lot, but my Mahogany TH-X00s just arrived and I don't feel like isolate particularly poorly. Someone sitting next to me didn't hear any noticeable noise when I was playing tracks at a "any louder would hurt" volume. I can hear outside noises maybe a little bit more than with the M50. Reading some of the comments, I guess I expected them to have isolation somewhere between a closed headphone and an open one, but the actual level of isolation was much closer to the standard closed headphones I tried.

Anyways, these headphones are great! They seem every bit as technically capable as my 1964 V6 CIEM but have a markedly different sound signature - quite a bit more bass! I like the TH-X00 better on most tracks, but there are some things that do better with the neutrality of the V6, and the convenience of CIEMs for portable use can't be beat.

Thinking I'll probably pick up my first amp and DAC for these. Probably some variant of the Modi/Magni combo. Other than that, I can tell that I'll be satisfied with my current set up for a long time!

You'd be shocked at how loudly some people on here listen. One of the main things I realize at meets is "holy schiit these people listen LOUD!" I took my spl meter to CanLanta and measured after one particularly loud listener got done with my rig. 118dB.

Aug 16, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #8,074 of 12,086
I keep my TH-X00 at work which is where I do most of my listening, but every day on the commute home I use Shure SE215 IEMs, but I miss the sweet sound of my TH-X00 (That bass! It's not even the quantity, it's the quality, my DT770 has the quantity, but not the quality...).
Does somebody know of portable headphones or IEMs which sound as sweet as the TH-X00? I'd love a recommendation. Thanks!

For portable headphones, I've owned several, and have settled on the Beyerdynamic T51i as my all-around favorite.

Aug 16, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #8,076 of 12,086
I like the visual match of my TH-X00 Mahogany with my Sieveking Omega Walnut stand.

By the way, does someone know of a good oil/wax for the Omega? After over 2.5 years, the wood is a little scruffy in some places.
Alternatively I could also ask the company that makes the Omega as OEM for Sieveking audio that I think I found out by accident when browsing for some videos on YouTube or especially searching for how the Omega was made a couple of years ago.

Aug 16, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #8,078 of 12,086
  Hot damn! My PH was slated by DHL to be here on the 18th, but it already got to my local post office at 4:22 this morning! Looks like I'll get to listen to it tonight!

I'm jealous. Mine was supposed to be here (Iowa) yesterday, but has been stuck in IL since Friday. DHL/USPS sucks bawlz.

Aug 16, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #8,079 of 12,086

If you want IEM with a huge bass, slight v-shaped signature, I think JVC FX850 is a great contender. It still has rough edges compared to TH-X00 smoother sound, but it is a lot better than SE215. Possibly the closest IEM to TH-X00 sound that I have ever tried. :) The big brother FX1200 also sounds great, but I only have short impression on that one.

Aug 16, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #8,080 of 12,086

If you want IEM with a huge bass, slight v-shaped signature, I think JVC FX850 is a great contender. It still has rough edges compared to TH-X00 smoother sound, but it is a lot better than SE215. Possibly the closest IEM to TH-X00 sound that I have ever tried. :) The big brother FX1200 also sounds great, but I only have short impression on that one.

The Sony H3/A3 is also a great choice.

Aug 16, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #8,081 of 12,086
You'd be shocked at how loudly some people on here listen. One of the main things I realize at meets is "holy schiit these people listen LOUD!" I took my spl meter to CanLanta and measured after one particularly loud listener got done with my rig. 118dB.

how loud is the thx00 on the m9xx set at 45? that is volume that i normally listen to.

Aug 16, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #8,082 of 12,086

If you want IEM with a huge bass, slight v-shaped signature, I think JVC FX850 is a great contender. It still has rough edges compared to TH-X00 smoother sound, but it is a lot better than SE215. Possibly the closest IEM to TH-X00 sound that I have ever tried.
smily_headphones1.gif
The big brother FX1200 also sounds great, but I only have short impression on that one.

Another vote for FX850's here. They do a good approximation of the X00 sound for an in-ear, I've been very happy with them

Aug 16, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #8,083 of 12,086

how loud is the thx00 on the m9xx set at 45? that is volume that i normally listen to.

I don't have my spl with me, but if I'm doing the math correctly in my head, that's about 65-70dB.  Which is a good listening level for preserving your long term hearing.

Aug 16, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #8,084 of 12,086
I like the visual match of my TH-X00 Mahogany with my Sieveking Omega Walnut stand.

By the way, does someone know of a good oil/wax for the Omega? After over 2.5 years, the wood is a little scruffy in some places.

Alternatively I could also ask the company that makes the Omega as OEM for Sieveking audio that I think I found out by accident when browsing for some videos on YouTube or especially searching for how the Omega was made a couple of years ago.

Depends on the finish. Is it a lacquer/clearcoat/varnish/polyurethane type finish? Or is it unsealed, and its final finish was of an oil or wax type?
Also, is it veneer, and if so, is it real wood veneer or synthetic?

Aug 16, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #8,085 of 12,086
I got mine today and I must say I am very disappointed with the finish. It is far from what you would expect from Fostex.
It almost looks like the cups were wrapped in bubble wrap before the lacquer was totally dry. I even have a nice scratch right above the cable entry.

Anybody else with this problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back