Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Aug 8, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #7,861 of 12,087

yeah, the only possible reason for buying the regular modi at this point is if for some reason you can't access a wall outlet, and thus have to use USB bus power.  

Or price.  A Modi 2U + Magni 2U was already stretching my budget for an upgrade.  $100 more for the Multibit + Magni 2U isn't a ton more but it would still sting.

Aug 8, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #7,863 of 12,087
Or price.  A Modi 2U + Magni 2U was already stretching my budget for an upgrade.  $100 more for the Multibit + Magni 2U isn't a ton more but it would still sting.

You could buy the Uber, leave this site, and be fairly happy with your situation. If you continue to read this site, eventually you may come across details on Schiit's implementation of multibit technology across their entire lineup and the rave reviews of the multibit Modi in particular, and you will realize that it was probably a mistake not to just go with the multibit, which destroys most DACs in its price bracket and risks cannibalizing sales of the Bifrost.

I would do all I could to channel funds into the better DAC, even if that means saving for another month longer or sacrificing to a cheaper amp temporarily. The Multibit Modi is that important of a shift.

Driving the Fostex from an iphone or computer jack works in the mean time. I did for a couple months to save for some better gear. They sounded very good even then.

Aug 8, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #7,865 of 12,087
I would do all I could to channel funds into the better DAC, even if that means saving for another month longer or sacrificing to a cheaper amp temporarily. The Multibit Modi is that important of a shift.

Yea, that's what I'm thinking.  I'm already using an E10K so it's not a desperate situation. I just have that itch to upgrade.

Aug 8, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #7,867 of 12,087
  anyone know how are the EM-Us compared to the thx00s?

EMU Teak > Fostex Ebony > EMU Rosewood = EMU Ebony > Fostex Mahogany > Fostex Purpleheart (with the caveat that Purpleheart has the biggest bass

Aug 8, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #7,869 of 12,087
oh so the thx00s are all just hype. Owells still good for my collection.

no, I don't see where I said that.  The Teaks are just really good.  The differences aren't very big between these, and they're all amongst the very best closed headphones, regardless of price.

Aug 8, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #7,872 of 12,087
EMU Teak > Fostex Ebony > EMU Rosewood = EMU Ebony > Fostex Mahogany > Fostex Purpleheart (with the caveat that Purpleheart has the biggest bass

The technical similarities of these headphones means that preference is really going to determine which sound signature you like best. Not necessarily someone else's preferences/rankings of the different models.

Aug 8, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #7,873 of 12,087
The technical similarities of these headphones means that preference is really going to determine which sound signature you like best. Not necessarily someone else's preferences/rankings of the different models.

sure, but unless they're listening to all of them, they're going off other people's preferences.  Also the Teak, rosewood and ebonies (both Fostex and EMU) I would say are very slightly technically superior, with less ringing and less distortion.

Aug 9, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #7,875 of 12,087
sure, but unless they're listening to all of them, they're going off other people's preferences.  Also the Teak, rosewood and ebonies (both Fostex and EMU) I would say are very slightly technically superior, with less ringing and less distortion.

Maybe, others might say otherwise. There hasn't been a ton of consensus in the reviews I've read on some of the "technical" differences between these headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back