Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Aug 9, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #7,877 of 12,086
Just my two cents to the amp/DAC discussion: I know more than one people from Mojo thread, who prefer their Chord Mojo even to Yggdrasil.

Aug 9, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #7,878 of 12,086
Just my two cents to the amp/DAC discussion: I know more than one people from Mojo thread, who prefer their Chord Mojo even to Yggdrasil.

Sure. I've also met people who prefer Grado SR80 to Stax SR009.

Aug 9, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #7,880 of 12,086
  Will this cable management be big enough for the TH-X00?   Just Mobile HeadStand

That is a nice looking stand. I picked up the Omega for my EL-8, but that has "NO" cable management. I will have to look at something else for both the PH and EL8 headphones.

Aug 9, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #7,881 of 12,086
  That is a nice looking stand. I picked up the Omega for my EL-8, but that has "NO" cable management. I will have to look at something else for both the PH and EL8 headphones.

That looks like a nice one.  The  Just Mobile Stand is on massdrop right now so I figure there is definitely at least one person who has tried to pair the 2.  Hopefully they see this. 

Aug 9, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #7,882 of 12,086
Sure. I've also met people who prefer Grado SR80 to Stax SR009.

Ok, Mojo competing Yggdrasil might be a subjective exaggeration. (I haven't tried Yggdrasil myself.)
But I think Mojo easily beats any DAC under $1000. I owned cheaper Schiit gear and Mojo blows them out of water.

Aug 9, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #7,883 of 12,086

Ok, Mojo competing Yggdrasil might be a subjective exaggeration. (I haven't tried Yggdrasil myself.)
But I think Mojo easily beats any DAC under $1000. I owned cheaper Schiit gear and Mojo blows them out of water.

Mojo vs. new and improved Schitt Stack (Magni 2U + Modi Multibit) PLZ!!!  Let's see how real this Modi Multibit hype is. (You can throw the Grace m9XX in there for good measure too)

Aug 9, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #7,884 of 12,086
Mojo vs. new and improved Schitt Stack (Magni 2U + Modi Multibit) PLZ!!!  Let's see how real this Modi Multibit hype is. (You can throw the Grace m9XX in there for good measure too)

Having heard them all, modi multibit is subtly but noticeably better than m9XX and mojo.

Aug 9, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #7,886 of 12,086
Having heard them all, modi multibit is subtly but noticeably better than m9XX and mojo.

Oh schiit, this hype just got real for me fellas :wink: . Can I assume that you preferred the bifrost multibit to mojo and grace too? Did the "best piece of audio equipment under 1k" just get trounced by a $250 dac?

Aug 9, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #7,887 of 12,086
That is an arguable statement, however almost everyone who had the chance to compare m9XX and Mojo says they are very similar.

Yes, m9XX and Mojo are very similar. Modi Multibit is a step above.

On the other side, the m9XX and Mojo are combo units and have amps built in. And the m9XX has a lot of extra features and the Mojo has a battery. So, there are usage cases where you might prefer one or the other. The m9XX will happily still be my office solution. But purely as a DAC on sound quality alone, 90% of people are going to prefer Modi Multibit to the others. It definitely pairs well with my modded THX00 and TIII chain.

All three are great values for their use cases, the just have different use cases. M9XX is still the king of small combo units, Mojo is still the king of medium-large mobile units. MoMBy is the king of small stand alone budget DACs (and honestly meets or exceeds most mid-fi stuff as well).

Aug 9, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #7,888 of 12,086
Yes, m9XX and Mojo are very similar. Modi Multibit is a step above.

On the other side, the m9XX and Mojo are combo units and have amps built in. And the m9XX has a lot of extra features and the Mojo has a battery. So, there are usage cases where you might prefer one or the other. The m9XX will happily still be my office solution. But purely as a DAC on sound quality alone, 90% of people are going to prefer Modi Multibit to the others. It definitely pairs well with my modded THX00 and TIII chain.

All three are great values for their use cases, the just have different use cases. M9XX is still the king of small combo units, Mojo is still the king of medium-large mobile units. MoMBy is the king of small stand open budget DACs (and honestly meets or exceeds most mid-fi stuff as well).

Which Schiit amp is a wise pairing for the MoMby and THX00? Edit: or any other amp for that matter.

Aug 9, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #7,889 of 12,086
Which Schiit amp is a wise pairing for the MoMby and THX00? Edit: or any other amp for that matter.

I'll just list amps I've tried and liked with the THX00: Magni 2 Uber, O2, Matrix HPA 3U, Vali2, Torpedo III, iFi iCan.

I probably liked the iCan the most out of those with th THX00. I probably liked the Vali2 and O2 the least with the THX00 out of those, though they were still enjoyable. The Totpedo III was amazing with the THX00, but was overkill. I wouldn't buy the Torpedo III specifically for the THX00 unless you have other, better headphones you're pairing it with. But if you already have, say a HD800, the TIII will also power your THX00 extremely well.

DO NOT pair the THX00 with a very tubby tube amp or even think about an OTL amp.

Aug 9, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #7,890 of 12,086
Now you guys are making me want to get the modi multibit, although having already acquired the Emotiva DC-1 and BiG Ego, the Grace Design M9XX, the Geek out 1000, and the GO V2+, you would think I am more than well-covered in this area of small form-factor/OTG Dacs/Amps.  In fact I should be selling off some of these redundantly duplicated gear rather than going after more... Sometimes this hobby can be annoyingly irrational...  Sigh...  Double sigh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back