Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Aug 7, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #7,846 of 12,087
  Whelp, finally got my ebony cups on!

I'll spare you the gory insides. I had to dremel the **** out of these to get them to fit, and even then they're super tight.

I think I almost picked that exact cup from Chan.
biggrin.gif

I remembered that kind of "eye" marking and how cool it looked. Ended up going with a set that were more similar.

Aug 8, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #7,848 of 12,087
Would it be worth upgrading from my Fiio E10K to a Schiit stack, O2+ODAC or anything else in that price range for the TH-X00s?

The Modi 2 Uber and Magni 2/Uber would be a substantial upgrade over the e10k (and an upgrade over the O2/ODAC imo). Whether or not it would be worth it, that's up to you. The thx00 is not particularly hard to drive, but is a nice enough headphone to scale a little with nicer gear.

Aug 8, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #7,850 of 12,087
  I think I will always regret not being able to buy the purple hearts :frowning2:

You never know as popular as these are, they might come back around !

I know a lot of folks don't believe in burn - in effect, and I have always been on the fence with it. Not really having a definite opinion, one way or another. However, when I first received my new mahogany pair a few weeks ago, I was having a little buyers remorse. Due to some very sharp high end, on low quality music, youtube 720 & 1080 hd. I listened to them for maybe 4 or 5 full albums. I usually use a pair of Sony Z7 when messing around on youtube, as they are very forgiving. So I put the x00 on Radio Paradise at a fairly loud volume level for a little more than 300 hours. Tried them out for the first time last night and did not experience any sharp annoying treble. Listened for several hours and really enjoyed them. Did the drivers change ?
Well I cannot prove it one way or another, and it really doesn't matter. All that matters is, no more buyers remorse. And it did not cost me a penny more. Worth a try if anyone else thinks the treble is a little too hot.

Aug 8, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #7,851 of 12,087
  I think I will always regret not being able to buy the purple hearts :frowning2:

If the past is any indication, there will be a lot of them in the for sale forums a month or so after they get delivered.

Aug 8, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #7,852 of 12,087
The Modi 2 Uber and Magni 2/Uber would be a substantial upgrade over the e10k (and an upgrade over the O2/ODAC imo). Whether or not it would be worth it, that's up to you. The thx00 is not particularly hard to drive, but is a nice enough headphone to scale a little with nicer gear.

I was thinking about just getting the regular Modi 2 and a Magni 2 Uber.  Don't think I'll need the extra inputs on the Modi 2U.  

Aug 8, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #7,853 of 12,087

I was thinking about just getting the regular Modi 2 and a Magni 2 Uber.  Don't think I'll need the extra inputs on the Modi 2U.  

the modi multibit is a really crazy good value.  Also it's not just the extra inputs, it's that not using the computer's USB bus power can make a substantial improvement in cleanliness of the signal.  

Aug 8, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #7,855 of 12,087
If that's the case, I'll definitely spring for the Uber.

Check out the modi multibit threads. People are raving about the thing, it is starting to seem like a truly disruptive product to the DAC world. Multibit R2R under $300. Mine is currently warming up.

Aug 8, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #7,856 of 12,087
Check out the modi multibit threads. People are raving about the thing, it is starting to seem like a truly disruptive product to the DAC world. Multibit R2R under $300. Mine is currently warming up.

Oh wait, I thought "multibit" was referring to the Uber.  So it's a totally different version.  Interesting...I'll have to read up on it.

Aug 8, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #7,857 of 12,087
Oh wait, I thought "multibit" was referring to the Uber.  So it's a totally different version.  Interesting...I'll have to read up on it.

Yeah, Multibit is a totally different technology. Same basic technology as is in the Yggdrasil

Aug 8, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #7,858 of 12,087

If the past is any indication, there will be a lot of them in the for sale forums a month or so after they get delivered.

I saw a guy selling his low serial # PH's for the same price he paid, in the Classifieds here yesterday. They may still be there.

I love my Mimby vs my old Modi 2U :) Of course, I'd love to hear your impressions as well....I think you'll be similarly impressed!

Aug 8, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #7,859 of 12,087
If that's the case, I'll definitely spring for the Uber.

The Uber is $150 and isn't running off USB power plus has the new 4490 DAC chip. That alone makes it worth the extra $50 over the regular Modi 2. The Modi Multibit is $250 and is an even greater value.

Aug 8, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #7,860 of 12,087
The Uber is $150 and isn't running off USB power plus has the new 4490 DAC chip. That alone makes it worth the extra $50 over the regular Modi 2. The Modi Multibit is $250 and is an even greater value.

yeah, the only possible reason for buying the regular modi at this point is if for some reason you can't access a wall outlet, and thus have to use USB bus power.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back