Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jul 15, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #7,456 of 12,086
Does anyone else question why Massdrop never posted the FR or THD graphs for the Purpleheart while the drops were active? (mayybe they did and I didn't see it, if so apologies). Seems like they probably had the info and thought it might hurt sales, but that's all speculation. Either way, it's a tad annoying (dishonest?) that they happen to post that info in time for the Ebony drop, with the results implying that it's a more refined Mahogany.

Jul 15, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #7,457 of 12,086
Trying to decide if I should spring for these, or say "blank it all to blank" and spring for the new MrSpeakers ETHER Flow.

I realize probably apples to oranges, but that's just the internal debate in my head now.
biggrin.gif

Jul 15, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #7,458 of 12,086

I didn't so much feel insulted as my biggest pet peeve on head-fi is when people are making statements or disagreeing about headphones they've never even heard, it leads to a lot of misinformation in these parts.  Sure, two people who have both heard them will often disagree, and that's fine, in fact that's good.  But when somebody is putting up their pure speculation against somebody else's time, money and ears... Well, that irks me.  Even moreso when the objective measurements are agreeing with what the people who have heard them are hearing.

I've especially seen it a lot with the mahogany and purpleheart owners towards the ebony (and teak or rosewood if we are including the EMU variants as well).  When they haven't even heard a new headphone variant, they're saying "well, the difference can't be much, it's the same driver."  And that may or may not be true, but unless you've heard them, you have absolutely no idea.  

It's difficult enough to suss out solid info on this site from people who have actually heard the gear in question, let alone when people are just stating their beliefs about what they think certain things would sound like complicating matters.  

I have enough experience with audio gear to remind people for personal bias and the relativity of personal impressions. Newbies tend to take a personal opinions as ultimate truth. I was only referring to this. There was no personal issues involved, so I do not really get your defensive attitude.

Jul 15, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #7,459 of 12,086
Does anyone else question why Massdrop never posted the FR or THD graphs for the Purpleheart while the drops were active? (mayybe they did and I didn't see it, if so apologies). Seems like they probably had the info but thought it might hurt sales, but that's all speculation. Either way, it's a tad annoying (dishonest?) that they happen to post that info in time for the Ebony drop, with the results implying that it's a more refined Mahogany.

Well they didn't really say it was a more refined Mahogony.  They said the Bass was boosted +2db and the treble peak around 9k was slightly decreased.  I think those were the main changes of this one.  someone may have posted a graph in the chat, but there was nothing on the description page. 

Jul 15, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #7,460 of 12,086

Very good question.  My E-MU Ebony is bassier than the Ebony X00, however, I will not state that all E-MU Ebonies are bassier than all Ebony X00, basically since there are so many factors that could make one headphone bassier than the other.  One reason is that I am not sure how long the TH-X00 Ebony has been burned in (probably less than 200 hours), and my TH-X00 E-MU Ebony has many, many hours on it - that can be a determining factor alone with regards to at least slight differences in both headphones' perceived bass response quantity and resonance.

Thanks!  And would it be correct to say the Ebony X00 isn't necessarily "bassier" than the Mahogony, only that the bass extends a little more?  Or would you inherently describe it as all around bassier? 

Jul 15, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #7,461 of 12,086
Decibels are still logarithmic, right?

So when you can clearly see that the ebony has 5-10db less of a dip between 3-4kHz - and forget normalized, I'm talking the SHAPE of the curve - than the other two cans, you call that subtle?

5-10db is subtle?

Jul 15, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #7,462 of 12,086
Jul 15, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #7,464 of 12,086
You can see the Frequency Response and Total Harmonic Distortion graphs on the description page.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-fostex-th-x00-ebony-headphones

Lol, whoda thunk it was that easy. Haha, thanx.

Me, finding it hard to believe cups alone affect that wide of a frequency response on the purple hearts. Laws of speaker box theory alone makes me wanna call shenanigans, with the two graphs having a differences in basis.

But meh, don't care enough. I like ebony's looks the least of all options. So I have zero interest in it. Explains why I didn't find the graphs on my own. :wink: sticking happily with my Gen 1 Th-x00.

Thanx again.

Jul 15, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #7,468 of 12,086
Any bets on when the "absolutely limited - never gonna see these again" special 4th edition in rosewood th-x00's will surface? 

Don't give them idea... I can't handle that many TH-X00 in my life. :D

FWIW, they already said this is the last wood variant of TH-X00.

Jul 15, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #7,470 of 12,086
Lol, whoda thunk it was that easy. Haha, thanx.

Me, finding it hard to believe cups alone affect that wide of a frequency response on the purple hearts. Laws of speaker box theory alone makes me wanna call shenanigans, with the two graphs having a differences in basis.

But meh, don't care enough. I like ebony's looks the least of all options. So I have zero interest in it. Explains why I didn't find the graphs on my own.
wink.gif
sticking happily with my Gen 1 Th-x00.

Thanx again.

I think the difference is more like the changing the material of the room walls than changing the materials of the speaker box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back