Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jun 8, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #6,826 of 12,086
Hello,

I ordred some of these, just wondering how difficult would it be to replace the cable, if anything went wrong with one? Probably the cable will be ok as I only use them indoors and do not move them about much etc. but if something was to go wrong with a cable, how difficult is it to solder a new cable? I am reasonably good at practical type things and could get a soldering iron and practice soldering first, do you think if I watched some youtube videos and did some soldering practice that it would not be too difficult to swap the cable? This is IF I ever needed to. I looked around on google and there does not seem to be any UK based cable services, so IF I ever needed to then I would have to do it myself probably.

Jun 8, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #6,827 of 12,086
Hello,

I ordred some of these, just wondering how difficult would it be to replace the cable, if anything went wrong with one? Probably the cable will be ok as I only use them indoors and do not move them about much etc. but if something was to go wrong with a cable, how difficult is it to solder a new cable? I am reasonably good at practical type things and could get a soldering iron and practice soldering first, do you think if I watched some youtube videos and did some soldering practice that it would not be too difficult to swap the cable? This is IF I ever needed to. I looked around on google and there does not seem to be any UK based cable services, so IF I ever needed to then I would have to do it myself probably.

It's pretty easy.

Jun 8, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #6,828 of 12,086
  Hello,

If you have some practice with soldering, it should not be too difficult. 

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Jun 8, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #6,829 of 12,086
I was in the first batch with my THX00 and I better forgot about the cans for some weeks after the shipping message. :)
Otherwise the waiting was very frustating.. At least in my case (It took around one month to get in mid Europe)

Jun 8, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #6,830 of 12,086
  Hello,

As the others have said, its fairly easy, just do some practice first.  The youtube vids are pretty good for learning but can't beat hands on practice.  I would suggest getting a decent soldering station, good solder and flux.  The cable that Fostex uses is quite good and easy to work with except for the sleeve which you need to be a little careful with, use tape or other means to keep it from fraying too much.
At this point you might want to consider doing removable cables, popular jacks are 2.5mm (will need to do some cutting of the metal frame) or SMC (no cutting needed)

Jun 8, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #6,831 of 12,086
Emailed Chan about the removable cable version of the Emu Teak.

His response: 
"Hi.
Yes. we have plan.  will release more info by end of the month.
rgds.chan"

There you have it.  Will wait for that instead of paying ~$100 for an aftermarket cable and voiding the warranty by installing it. 

Jun 8, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #6,832 of 12,086
  Emailed Chan about the removable cable version of the Emu Teak.

His response: 
"Hi.
Yes. we have plan.  will release more info by end of the month.
rgds.chan"

There you have it.  Will wait for that instead of paying ~$100 for an aftermarket cable and voiding the warranty by installing it. 

Nice, do you know what type of connectors will be used?

Jun 8, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #6,834 of 12,086
Do you think its worth ordering the purple hearts if I already have the mahogany on the way? I like the idea of more bass in the purple hearts but not sure if it worth having both.

Nope. I had ebony cups on my previously owned thx00. It sounded like a better THX00. But that's it. No point in owning two headphones with the same sound.

Get the Emu teak instead or save up for something higher end. Like a hd800 0r he6

Jun 8, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #6,838 of 12,086
Hi,
I have a pretty simple setup with a Fiio10k and a ATH-M50x.

Would a upgrade from the ATH-m50x to a Fostex THX00 be worth it? I listen mostly to J-Pop, Drum and Bass, and electronic. Also, should I bother upgrading my amp along with getting a THX00?

Jun 8, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #6,839 of 12,086
  Hi,

Would a upgrade from the ATH-m50x to a Fostex THX00 be worth it? I listen mostly to J-Pop, Drum and Bass, and electronic. Also, should I bother upgrading my amp along with getting a THX00?

Well worth it. I had a M50x and the X00's blow it out of the water, especially for the music you listen to. The Fii010k should be fine.

Jun 9, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #6,840 of 12,086

Nah, didn't say. Just that it's in the works. 

My guess is the same as those on the TH-610/900mk2.

This would make sense from a manufacturing point of view.

Quote:
  Hi,

The TH-X00 should be quite a bit better, just remember that they are not built like a tank, I would never carry them in a backpack unprotected while the M50x is a fairly sturdy headphone and can take the bumps without a case

Users who are viewing this thread

Back