Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Mar 30, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #5,777 of 12,086
I've read the power output leaves much to be desired on the m9xx, that's the only issue I've seen too. I'm curious how it fares against the bifrost 4490/Asgard combo.

It depends - the m9XX is truly a high quality product!
I, for personal reasons, switched though from m9XX to Asgard 2/Bifrost 4490. I wanted to know exactly that - how's the power differ?

These are my opinions, and are in no way intended to be fact - just my listening experiences...

On the majority of my headphones, the m9XX was just supreme:

1. HiFiMan HE400i
  2. Sennheiser HD650
  3. Sennheiser HD800

On one, and only one headphone, did I have issue with the m9XX:

1. HiFiMan HE1000

Simply, to my ears, it sounded thin through the m9XX. Yes, the Asgard 2 addressed the thin nature - the sound has now plenty of bass. But I would not go out screaming to the world that my Asgard 2/Bifrost 4490 stack is superior to the m9XX. On the lower cost (around $300) headphones, both m9XX and Schiit stack sound good, to my ears. But on the higher cost HD800 and HE1000, there are definite advantages and disadvantages.

HD800 was really quite good on m9XX! On Asgard 2/Bifrost 4490, it loses quite a bit. To my ears, the m9XX is a sonic superior, cleaner, more resolute product.

HE1000, while gaining the bass characteristics I like, does not sound that great, overall. It sounds closed in. But this could be due to my frame of reference, of how I expect the HE1000 to sound. The stack was bought, personally, as an experiment. When I want to hear the HE1000 sing, I'll plug into Ragnarok/Yggdrasil stack.

m9XX is a really good product, which to my ears, is limited on power for those headphones that require more current flow. This is not a volume issue - it just did not sound balanced compared to other amplifiers I have heard - Asgard 2, Ragnarok, even Chord Mojo.

Mar 30, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #5,778 of 12,086
You know, I was really tempted by these Purple Hearts. Super intrigued... And like many of you, I suffer from gear lust. I did order them, but I ultimately ended up canceling. Why? I already have several pair of headphones that I love, and even though I can find reasons to justify buying these, I'm choosing not to. Primarily 2 reasons for holding off:
1) the cable is not easily removed/replaced and it's 10 feet long. 99% of my listening is done from a device within 2 feet of me so this would always bother me. The 610's coming out soon have a replaceable cable, so I wouldn't be surprised if these weren't updated down the line as well...or maybe (not as likely) the 610 will be in a similar price range.
2) the headphones I have suit my needs just fine. that's not to say I can't convince myself to upgrade down the line, but I try to at least limit my purchases to things I genuinely feel I'll be happy with... And I know the fixed 10 foot cable would bug me as long as I own them.

Fixed cable is not the end of the world but when I already have several pair of headphones that I'm really happy with, seems silly to drop big bucks on another pair that have some basic flaw (even if the sound is amazing) that will always bug me. There'll be another one down the line with a replaceable cable I'm sure, or the 610 will fit the bill, or maybe I'll continue to be happy with what I have. Who knows! Anyway I hope they suit everyone's needs, they look amazing, hopefully they sound amazing.. Just sharing my perspective. Looking forward to reading what everyone thinks when they come out.

You could make the cables removable on the TH-X00, not a difficult mod.

Mar 30, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #5,780 of 12,086
The m9xx has the ability to just be used as a dac, yes? So you could possibly use it to feed the Asgard. I'd be very surprised if it outperforms the Bifrost 4490/Asgard, given the circuitry in the schiit gear. Sadly I cannot afford anything higher. My 400i does sound decent on schiit though. Also, good thing my limit for headphones is 3-$500, I just bought the TH-X00 drop with high hopes.

It depends - the m9XX is truly a high quality product!
I, for personal reasons, switched though from m9XX to Asgard 2/Bifrost 4490. I wanted to know exactly that - how's the power differ?

These are my opinions, and are in no way intended to be fact - just my listening experiences...

On the majority of my headphones, the m9XX was just supreme:

• HiFiMan HE400i
  • Sennheiser HD650
  • Sennheiser HD800

On one, and only one headphone, did I have issue with the m9XX:

• HiFiMan HE1000

Simply, to my ears, it sounded thin through the m9XX. Yes, the Asgard 2 addressed the thin nature - the sound has now plenty of bass. But I would not go out screaming to the world that my Asgard 2/Bifrost 4490 stack is superior to the m9XX. On the lower cost (around $300) headphones, both m9XX and Schiit stack sound good, to my ears. But on the higher cost HD800 and HE1000, there are definite advantages and disadvantages.

HD800 was really quite good on m9XX! On Asgard 2/Bifrost 4490, it loses quite a bit. To my ears, the m9XX is a sonic superior, cleaner, more resolute product.

HE1000, while gaining the bass characteristics I like, does not sound that great, overall. It sounds closed in. But this could be due to my frame of reference, of how I expect the HE1000 to sound. The stack was bought, personally, as an experiment. When I want to hear the HE1000 sing, I'll plug into Ragnarok/Yggdrasil stack.

m9XX is a really good product, which to my ears, is limited on power for those headphones that require more current flow. This is not a volume issue - it just did not sound balanced compared to other amplifiers I have heard - Asgard 2, Ragnarok, even Chord Mojo.

Mar 30, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #5,783 of 12,086
Yeah, I really think the 10ft cables is not ideal at all. But problem solved, and even a good case to carry around with as well

What case is that?

Mar 30, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #5,784 of 12,086
What case is that?

Vmota is the brand, I grabbed it on Prime for $15 more expensive than EBay. You can get it off eBay even cheaper. Here is the link for the case on Amazon. It needed some modifications that involved in cutting the foam, stacking it with clear tape, and cut out the slot for my pigtail sockets, which all in all were extremely easy, and I can always take my "love" anywhere with me

http://www.amazon.com/Headphones-Carrying-Accessories-Audio-Technica-MDR-7506/dp/B00F2YKJS2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Mar 30, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #5,785 of 12,086
Vmota is the brand, I grabbed it on Prime for $15 more expensive than EBay. You can get it off eBay even cheaper. Here is the link for the case on Amazon. It needed some modifications that involved in cutting the foam, stacking it with clear tape, and cut out the slot for my pigtail sockets, which all in all were extremely easy, and I can always take my "love" anywhere with me

http://www.amazon.com/Headphones-Carrying-Accessories-Audio-Technica-MDR-7506/dp/B00F2YKJS2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I think, right after posting, I realized I asked you that once before.
If I did, I apologize, and thank you again 
biggrin.gif

I had the TH-X00, sold my favorite amp that went with it (and so sold the headphone too and gave away my travel case), and now I'm back in to try the purple drop.
Just cannot help myself around the Denon/Fostex headphones 
tongue.gif

Mar 30, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #5,786 of 12,086
Yeah, I really think the 10ft cables is not ideal at all. But problem solved, and even a good case to carry around with as well

Funny 10' is as short a cable as I can deal with.  I want to be able to move. lol

Mar 30, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #5,788 of 12,086
The closer we are to the delivery date in early May, the more difficult the waiting is .
 I have had my fun with Nighthawks, and I appreciate its engaging sound and superb bass over X2.
NH also made me realize, I could live with a more closed headphone like NH. I do appreciate however the openness of X2 especially in mids and highs.
NH is a closer and more closed experience, X2 is more distant but very smooth and airier.
I was A/B listening them for 4-5 days, almost nonstop.
Listening to music for 7-8 hrs nonstop and changing headphones randomly was an interesting experience. While there are obvious differences between X2 and NH, after having one of them on my head for 20-25 mins sometimes I was struggling to tell which one is actually on my head.
 It is so easy to get used to a sound signature, even though I can describe the obvious differences between the two hps. In the first 5 minutes after changing hps sometimes I found X2 or NH not pleasing enough. But immersing into the music after 20-25 mins sometimes it was difficult to tell which one I am actually listening to. (Kind of a blind test.)
That says more or less they are equally enjoyable. (At this point I have to mention I was using Mojo /with 2 headphones out that makes A/B listening easier/.)
And if I basically find them equally enjoyable in long term listening, then why should I keep NH which costs more than double of the X2?
So I sold NH.
I wonder what X00 can add to the picture. (I didn't like the closed and strange upper frequencies of NH.)
In the meantime, as I can't stay without excitement, I am going to give a listen to NAD Viso HP50. I have kind of low expectations, but still this hp is something I wanted to try for a couple of years, and I got a ridiculous second hand offer. :)
May, where are you? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back