Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Mar 29, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #5,761 of 12,086
Just went in for another pair of TH-X00.  The drop has been active now for 4+ days.  I can't believe there are still any left.  WOW.  Once I get them in Aug i'll review both side by side and sell whichever one I don't like.  Can't wait for these purplehearts.

Mar 29, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #5,764 of 12,086
So I REALLY want the purplehearts, but simply dont have the money right now. What are the odds these will drop again in some months?

Well they likely won't sell them all, so I'm not sure what that means for their business. But it is likely that within the next few months they will have another Purpleheart drop. 

Mar 29, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #5,765 of 12,086
Well they likely won't sell them all, so I'm not sure what that means for their business. But it is likely that within the next few months they will have another Purpleheart drop. 

I hope so xD thanks for the replies. Maybe they'll be like the K7xx that Massdrop has sold a half a dozen times or more :)

Mar 29, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #5,766 of 12,086
You know, I was really tempted by these Purple Hearts. Super intrigued... And like many of you, I suffer from gear lust. I did order them, but I ultimately ended up canceling. Why? I already have several pair of headphones that I love, and even though I can find reasons to justify buying these, I'm choosing not to. Primarily 2 reasons for holding off:
1) the cable is not easily removed/replaced and it's 10 feet long. 99% of my listening is done from a device within 2 feet of me so this would always bother me. The 610's coming out soon have a replaceable cable, so I wouldn't be surprised if these weren't updated down the line as well...or maybe (not as likely) the 610 will be in a similar price range.
2) the headphones I have suit my needs just fine. that's not to say I can't convince myself to upgrade down the line, but I try to at least limit my purchases to things I genuinely feel I'll be happy with... And I know the fixed 10 foot cable would bug me as long as I own them.

Fixed cable is not the end of the world but when I already have several pair of headphones that I'm really happy with, seems silly to drop big bucks on another pair that have some basic flaw (even if the sound is amazing) that will always bug me. There'll be another one down the line with a replaceable cable I'm sure, or the 610 will fit the bill, or maybe I'll continue to be happy with what I have. Who knows! Anyway I hope they suit everyone's needs, they look amazing, hopefully they sound amazing.. Just sharing my perspective. Looking forward to reading what everyone thinks when they come out.

Mar 30, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #5,767 of 12,086

Mids won't be the focus like the PM-3. TH-X00 excels more at bass, soundstage and treble so there is some trade-offs but the mids still sound good to me, and the new version will sound really similar, the person who tried it said not to worry about the perceived differences as they were minor to him.

If you want mids + highs then I really enjoy the Grado sr60e. Been listening to the new Moonsorrow album on PM-3/TH-X00 and sr60e today and the sr60e is really awesome. I prefer the 60e to the more expensive 325is and Magnum v6.

is the mids a lot recessed than the pm-3?

I think if it is only a little bit, it will work, I don't like it if it is too recessed.

I really want an upgrade from pm-3 but I don't want to lose too much of those beautiful mids T_T

Mar 30, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #5,768 of 12,086
is the mids a lot recessed than the pm-3?

I think if it is only a little bit, it will work, I don't like it if it is too recessed.

I really want an upgrade from pm-3 but I don't want to lose too much of those beautiful mids T_T

The Pm-3 is pretty much as good as it gets under $400 if neutral/forward mids are your preference in closed headphones.

Mar 30, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #5,774 of 12,086
Anyone tried th-x00 with some cheap ak4490 dacs like dacport slim or hd, is it much worse than m9xx synergy?

Yes, i have the dacportslim. Its no way near m9xx. The implementation is top notch.

Mar 30, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #5,775 of 12,086
I've read the power output leaves much to be desired on the m9xx, that's the only issue I've seen too. I'm curious how it fares against the bifrost 4490/Asgard combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back