Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Mar 29, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #5,749 of 12,086
Japanese style walls ? I imagined
biggrin.gif
. I can say that Fostex doesn't have good sound leakage at all...and that means it easily leak a lot

they leak like theyre open.

Damn, that's a shame. Will have to cancel them then.

Mar 29, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #5,752 of 12,086

maybe you have very tolerant coworkers 

they leak.  IMO, alot.  which was his concern.  i dont think its really debatable, as everyone seemingly is in agreement that they leak...the degree to which that leakage is tolerable may vary.

Yes I agree that they leak but a lot is a big word.

Mar 29, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #5,754 of 12,086

They don't leak that much guys.

I'm using them at the office and nobody's complaining.

maybe you have very tolerant coworkers 

they leak.  IMO, alot.  which was his concern.  i dont think its really debatable, as everyone seemingly is in agreement that they leak...the degree to which that leakage is tolerable may vary.

Question:

Haven't heard much talking about isolation. I understand that the previous models th-600/900 don't isolate at all, the cups just kind of hang freely from your head, is this the case with the th-X00?

Ordered one for office use

It's not how the cups hang, it's that they have vented bass ports. That being said, unless you listen very loudly and/or have a completely silent office they don't leak sound out very much. But they do leak sound in.

For example my secretary, who sits 5 feet away, can't hear my music. But I can hear my phone ring and I can hear her if she says my name at medium/loud volume. I can't hear her type though.

Honestly this may be the first time I see the discussion leaned so much towards total leaking side. In my memory this thread generally agreed it is undebatable they leak as they are semi-closed, but how much is debatable; And that they leak sound in more than out, which led some to claim them ideal office headphone for open office, but not for library and silent office.

Mar 29, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #5,755 of 12,086
In an office setting, there's "sealed", and then there's "not sealed". Everyone agrees that the Fostex is "not sealed". This is the same reason why I didn't bring my Sony MDR-Z7 to the office.

There's also the whole "10-foot long, non-removable cable" thing that would make these cans less than ideal for an office setting, but maybe your amp is on someone else's desk or something.

Mar 29, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #5,756 of 12,086
Sound leakage is not as black and white as some people are suggesting. They are definitely not like open cans. They are semi-closed, which seems like the perfect description. The sound leaking never bothered anyone in my very quiet office, but I also turned it down a bit whenever my neighbor said they were (I asked him to tell me).

Mar 29, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #5,757 of 12,086
i've owned the th900 and the d5000. both leak sound, but leakage is also a function of head size and fit. i have a small head and they didn't compress against my head/ears so had more leakage than some of you might have experienced.

so yeah, they leak, but not as much as open cans...but certainly more than, say, alpha dogs or the pm3, for example.

Mar 29, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #5,759 of 12,086
Th-x00 leak a decent amount of noise. But if you are on an airplane and wore them (which I plan to do), I would imagine that the engine noise in the cockpit of a 767 would be more than enough to cancel out the leakage of the TH-X00.

How would I know? I couldn't even hear myself flatulating last time I flew on an airplane. Okay.. TMI

I bet if the plane landed though and the cockpit suddenly became dead silent everyone would hear your headphones leaking sound... or your farts

Mar 29, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #5,760 of 12,086
I tried a simple experiment to determine a rough estimate in db how much leakage there is.

Used a omega stand which seals around the ear pad and took SPL readings with my cel phone (not the most accurate but sufficient for getting a rough estimate) and found that it raised the ambient sound in my bathroom (quietest room) an average of 2db but it was very directional and dependent on where I placed the mic of the cel phone.  The 2db was the highest average.

The SPL from the headphone was about 62db (my normal listening volume) when I placed the mic of the cel phone between the ear cups. 

The ambient sound in the bathroom is around 18db. 

2db is noticeable but not something I would consider a lot but it would also be dependent on the ambient sound in the room.

The HE-400i in comparison raised the ambient sound an average of 6db.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back