Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Feb 13, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #4,982 of 12,086
  I was all happy that i was able to grab a pair before the drop ended.... that is until i saw the exchange rate i was charged. $415 ended up costing $595 not even counting the taxes, and any customs I'll owe. 
frown.gif
  Doesn't even start to include any detachable cable mods or new cable will add to the price. 

Well, Canadian Dollar is getting weaker so that's normal. What did you expect? You should have checked the exchange rate before buying.

Feb 13, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #4,984 of 12,086
Feb 13, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #4,985 of 12,086

No, I am just into headphones, and this is a headphone I like, and I go to bat for products that I actually think live up to my expectations (because a lot don't).  @WillBright and co delivered a winner here.  I also like helping people who have questions about it.  But I suppose I can be less active so that fewer people are answering questions about the headphone, and instead the balance shifts towards people updating on their shipping info, or asking about different headphones, or making puns.  

This is very interesting. Besides being a headphone guy I also love (LOVE) speakers. In 2009 when I graduated from college I bought my self a pair of Paradigm Signature s8 speakers - they usually run from 9k to 6k depending on if new or used. Now in 2016 I still get grief from people about that purchase and people still tell me how much money I wasted, but I listen to them at least 3 days a week and at a minimum of 2 hrs those days, and those listening sessions are very fun for me. I think that money I spent was an Investment! I mean I have taken vacations that cost the same or more, but they only last for few days to few weeks but when I get home and want to relax I just put some music on and enjoy - and I can do it everyday! - In your life you are the one who gives value to the things you buy. If you buy a beach house for 20 million but it brings you joy every day of your life until you die, it was well worth it. Same is the case with Audio :) - you can spend money on a 100$ headphone and be happy because of the listening pleasure, or you can buy 50k Orpheus 2 and have it still be a value proposition, by using it and listening to it frequently. That also means that you don't need to spend tons of money to be happy :)

Feb 13, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #4,986 of 12,086
TH610 on exhibition:
http://www.phileweb.com/news/d-av/201602/13/38253.html
Targeting an early summer release. Fostex are considering MSRP to be the same as TH600 at highest; that is, 80000+Yen ≒ $700 (however TH600's original MSRP by Fostex USA was $1299), so as expected unlikely to threaten the value of TH-X00.
The wooden cups are made from black walnut. They have not made the final decision which kind of finishing to use on the cups.
Earpads have larger opening than TH-X00/TH500RP...no? Is the 3.5mm adapter in the picture exactly the Monoprice one?
popcorn.gif

Regarding sound signature, currently only an one-line impression available here:
http://www.e-earphone.jp/blog/?p=35941
Roughly described as being engaging and fun, suggesting a similar if not the same tuning direction with TH-X00.

Feb 13, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #4,989 of 12,086
Currently there is a listing for a Fostex TH-X00 for sale on Ebay. The cost is $399 plus shipping.
Anxious music lovers who have missed the drop or do not want to wait until May! I would buy this in a heart beat if I haven't bought my TH600!
Here is the link:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Fostex-TH-X00-Massdop-Exclusive-Headphones-/151981895535?nav=SEARCH

Good luck!

Feb 14, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #4,993 of 12,086
Thread compares our TH-X00 to many different mfr's models, notably with other Fostex & Denon.

The TH-X00 or upcoming TH-610 likely will also incur comparison to the new E-MU Teak wood headphones available soon. It is the upper offering above E-MU Walnut (Creative Aurvana Live with walnut wood cups), both using 2 different sized oem Foster bio-cell drivers. Walnut on massdrop now.

E-MU Teak comparisons to TH-X00/TH-610 may likely also be joined by Denon AH-DX000 series reminiscing, just like many pages here. It seems similar to the DX5000, possibly so far.

Lotsa cool Foster biocellulose !

Feb 16, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #4,994 of 12,086
Last night I was listening to this and it's the first time my ears have been in pain from music: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMQvOnhiKlA

I used my X2s but I'm wondering if people who have the X00s also find the bass fatiguing. Even at low volumes it bothers my ears quite a bit. I know the X00's bass has more impact but I'm hoping this is just a matter of the X2's bass not being as good as the former's. I might have to look for another headphone otherwise.

Feb 16, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #4,995 of 12,086
Last night I was listening to this and it's the first time my ears have been in pain from music: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMQvOnhiKlA

I used my X2s but I'm wondering if people who have the X00s also find the bass fatiguing. Even at low volumes it bothers my ears quite a bit. I know the X00's bass has more impact but I'm hoping this is just a matter of the X2's bass not being as good as the former's. I might have to look for another headphone otherwise.

I do have some issues with bass fatigue while listening to house music for a long time. The steady thumping bass line starts to give me a headache after about an hour. However, I don't have issues listening to any other genre for extended periods with the X00's.

It's more likely a factor of quantity rather than quality that's causing the discomfort, but I doubt the bass response on the X2s is this good anyway.

EDIT: Listened to the song you have linked on YouTube, and I could manage listening to that all day on these, the bass isn't too deep. Now, things like "City in Florida" by deadmau5 can really pound me out. However, most people aren't complaining about bass fatigue, so I'd say that you're most likely bass-sensitive like some people are with treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back