Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Feb 12, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #4,966 of 12,086
You darn good timing Fostex. People, here's your late to the party detachable cable TH-X00:
http://www.fostex.jp/20160212/8495/
Though again, the proprietary connector may not help. And let's not to mention the tuning.

Surprised they just call it TH610 instead of Mk.Ⅱ this time, indicating the tuning be not the same with TH600? Well only natural start with the new wooden cups and presumably the TH500RP pads.
Edit: Forgot the T50RP marks all have different tuning nonetheless.

Feb 12, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #4,967 of 12,086
You darn good timing Fostex. People, here's your late to the party detachable cable TH-X00:
http://www.fostex.jp/20160212/8495/
Though again, the proprietary connector may not help. And let's not to mention the tuning.

Surprised they just call it TH610 instead of Mk.Ⅱ this time, indicating the tuning be not the same with TH600? Well only natural start with the new wooden cups and presumably the T500RP pads.
Edit: Forgot the T50RP marks all have different tuning nonetheless.

Looks like the TH600 pads though hard to tell. But this is what I thought may happen. Wonder if they'll continue to sell the THX00 too.

Feb 12, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #4,968 of 12,086
Looks like the TH600 pads though hard to tell. But this is what I thought may happen. Wonder if they'll continue to sell the THX00 too.

Pretty sure the earpads are Fostex OEM earpads (similar earhole shape and size to the Denon series). Slightly different from the TH-X00 earpads, wildly different from the TH-600 stock earpads. We looked at these earpads when we were developing the TH-X00, but they moved the bass peak up (more mid bass instead of sub bass) and cut less sibilance (~5db additional peak).

That said, I've yet to hear these so I have no idea what direction they went with the sound signature. This doesn't impact our plans for the TH-X00. 

Feb 12, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #4,969 of 12,086
Pretty sure the earpads are Fostex OEM earpads (similar earhole shape and size to the Denon series). Slightly different from the TH-X00 earpads, wildly different from the TH-600 stock earpads. We looked at these earpads when we were developing the TH-X00, but they moved the bass peak up (more mid bass instead of sub bass) and cut less sibilance (~5db additional peak).

That said, I've yet to hear these so I have no idea what direction they went with the sound signature. This doesn't impact our plans for the TH-X00. 

Great, thanks for the info.

Feb 12, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #4,970 of 12,086
Great, thanks for the info.

Np bruh 
beerchug.gif

Feb 12, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #4,972 of 12,086
  Can anyone compare the Feenix Aria to the Oppo PM-3?  Saving $150 would be nice if they sound similar.

I have tried PM-3 for about a week and owned Feenix Aria for about a month. Although not at the same time. I think the sound signature of Aria is quite similar to TH-X00. The Aria has good bass impact, forward mids and highs. The bass impact is not as strong as TH-X00 but the Aria wins on soundstage. In terms of built quality I would say TH-X00 is better. However, the Aria does have detachable cables. 

The PM-3 has good mids and highs but the bass quantity is falling behind TH-X00 and Aria. Among those three headphones I would choose TH-X00 even they cost $150 more then Aria.

Feb 12, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #4,973 of 12,086
  I have tried PM-3 for about a week and owned Feenix Aria for about a month. Although not at the same time. I think the sound signature of Aria is quite similar to TH-X00. The Aria has good bass impact, forward mids and highs. The bass impact is not as strong as TH-X00 but the Aria wins on soundstage. In terms of built quality I would say TH-X00 is better. However, the Aria does have detachable cables. 

The PM-3 has good mids and highs but the bass quantity is falling behind TH-X00 and Aria. Among those three headphones I would choose TH-X00 even they cost $150 more then Aria.

Thanks.  I'll probably buy the Feenix Aria now from Amazon while I wait to audition the PM-3.  Hopefully my turn will come up for the PM-3's before my return window closes on Amazon.  Then in May when I get the TH-X00 I'll make my decision which to keep.  Thanks again for the insight. 

Feb 13, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #4,975 of 12,086
I was all happy that i was able to grab a pair before the drop ended.... that is until i saw the exchange rate i was charged. $415 ended up costing $595 not even counting the taxes, and any customs I'll owe. 
frown.gif
  Doesn't even start to include any detachable cable mods or new cable will add to the price. 

Feb 13, 2016 at 6:48 AM Post #4,976 of 12,086
  I was all happy that i was able to grab a pair before the drop ended.... that is until i saw the exchange rate i was charged. $415 ended up costing $595 not even counting the taxes, and any customs I'll owe. 
frown.gif
  Doesn't even start to include any detachable cable mods or new cable will add to the price. 

How is that possible? Where do you live? I was charged for a total of $418 in the UK.

Feb 13, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #4,977 of 12,086

How is that possible? Where do you live? I was charged for a total of $418 in the UK.

my guess is that he meant the exchange rate from american dollars to canadian dollars.

Feb 13, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #4,978 of 12,086
  exactly what i was wondering :D 

no offense. 

No, I am just into headphones, and this is a headphone I like, and I go to bat for products that I actually think live up to my expectations (because a lot don't).  @WillBright and co delivered a winner here.  I also like helping people who have questions about it.  But I suppose I can be less active so that fewer people are answering questions about the headphone, and instead the balance shifts towards people updating on their shipping info, or asking about different headphones, or making puns.  

Feb 13, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #4,979 of 12,086

No, I am just into headphones, and this is a headphone I like, and I go to bat for products that I actually think live up to my expectations (because a lot don't).  @WillBright and co delivered a winner here.  I also like helping people who have questions about it.  But I suppose I can be less active so that fewer people are answering questions about the headphone, and instead the balance shifts towards people updating on their shipping info, or asking about different headphones, or making puns.  

No, you're doing fine.

Feb 13, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #4,980 of 12,086
I found an old Corda HA2 for sale and was curious if it seems like it might would pair well with these headphones. This is the only page I could find with the specs listed: http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?47944-FS-Meier-Corda-HA2-mk2-se-headphone-amplifier The one I found seems like it is a mk1 though and has some clear physical differences from the Mk2, so there might be some slight differences in specs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back