Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Feb 2, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #4,653 of 12,086

i thank so  but I always updated to alpha pads,  I am going to try seem LCD pads soon

I read some said, the best sound is from the stock pads. And yeah... May 9 waiting mine LOL

Feb 2, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #4,654 of 12,086
So, remind me. The credit card is charged at drop end, not at the time of shipping, correct?

I don't usually mind paying ahead ... I bought a lot of furniture last fall requiring much larger prepayments. But this wait will be longer than I waited for that custom furniture to be made and arrive.

Feb 2, 2016 at 2:27 AM Post #4,655 of 12,086
So, remind me. The credit card is charged at drop end, not at the time of shipping, correct?

Yup, once the drop ends.

Feb 2, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #4,656 of 12,086
hey :) so I need a little bit of help here, at this moment i have Yulong d100 serving as a dac and as an amp Teac Ha-501 doing heavy lifting, so I ordered Fostex TH-X00 and now am thinking to keep my amp, or to choose from following 3, Grace m9xx, Lake People G109A Limited Edition or something from iFi line. any suggestions? thanx

Feb 2, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #4,657 of 12,086
hey :) so I need a little bit of help here, at this moment i have Yulong d100 serving as a dac and as an amp Teac Ha-501 doing heavy lifting, so I ordered Fostex TH-X00 and now am thinking to keep my amp, or to choose from following 3, Grace m9xx, Lake People G109A Limited Edition or something from iFi line. any suggestions? thanx

If you like your amp, you can keep it. The TH-X00 is not very hard to drive

Feb 2, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #4,658 of 12,086
yeah, that I know, but its not about power, its more about sound signature, teac is a very nice sounding amp but very neutral / analytical  same time, so I think with fostex either it will be superb or will just suck, no in between option here i suppose. I do like a bit warm and  touch of dark sounding signature

Feb 2, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #4,659 of 12,086
Since you like Massdrop ..., maybe you should buy this amp instead
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/appj-1502a-tube-headphone-amplifier

Head-fier comments here
http://www.head-fi.org/t/780178/any-opinions-reviews-on-gemtune-appj-pa1502a

Feb 2, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #4,660 of 12,086
So..
I've got TH-X00 ordered for a while now and just lately read comment that these things absolutely need good amping, how true is this?
For the time being I'll only be running them through computers integrated soundcard, will they sound any good - I currently have the ATH-M50x and I love how they sound with this setup, will the TH-X00 be clear upgrade to them even without amplification? Some of the reviews say they sound great even from mobile phones so it's a puzzle.
Just don't want to spend 400$ to realize I need to spend another to make them sound any good, so any input is appreciated.
Thanks!

Feb 2, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #4,661 of 12,086
They're pretty darn easy to drive... do they scale with better sources? - Yes.... Is it night and day? - No... should you get an amp? - depends... let it come in then let your ears tell you.  If the bass impact or control is lacking or treble is a little rough then you may benefit from an amp.  Those are the main differences I notice when going from Phones>FiiO X3ii>X3ii+E12a>O2>Lyr.  Everyones ears are different as is their bank balance

biggrin.gif

PS - give them some break im time... bass control tightened up a bit within the first 12 hours.... some boominess directly out of the box

Feb 2, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #4,662 of 12,086
They're pretty darn easy to drive... do they scale with better sources? - Yes.... Is it night and day? - No... should you get an amp? - depends... let it come in then let your ears tell you.  If the bass impact or control is lacking or treble is a little rough then you may benefit from an amp.  Those are the main differences I notice when going from Phones>FiiO X3ii>X3ii+E12a>O2>Lyr.  Everyones ears are different as is their bank balance

:D

PS - give them some break im time... bass control tightened up a bit within the first 12 hours.... some boominess directly out of the box

Thanks, that's reassuring.
I know it's going to sound better with more expensive sources, but when someone says "needs" amplification that just makes me think twice.
Sure, I'll keep it in mind to let them break in properly when I receive them in May.

Feb 2, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #4,663 of 12,086
Thanks, that's reassuring.
I know it's going to sound better with more expensive sources, but when someone says "needs" amplification that just makes me think twice.
Sure, I'll keep it in mind to let them break in properly when I receive them in May.

Grain of salt, just take it as grain of salt sometimes

Honestly. There is sometimes this head game that goes on with some audiophiles around the world that you need an amp for every headphone regardless. I have come to find that this is not true for some of the newer headphones coming out. Yes a good dac/amp would maybe clean up the sound,depending on what you are using. However you personally can set down with the X00 and plug them into an iPhone or Android and be happy with the result for the most part

Feb 2, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #4,664 of 12,086
So..
I've got TH-X00 ordered for a while now and just lately read comment that these things absolutely need good amping, how true is this?
For the time being I'll only be running them through computers integrated soundcard, will they sound any good - I currently have the ATH-M50x and I love how they sound with this setup, will the TH-X00 be clear upgrade to them even without amplification? Some of the reviews say they sound great even from mobile phones so it's a puzzle.
Just don't want to spend 400$ to realize I need to spend another to make them sound any good, so any input is appreciated.
Thanks!

Imo the thx00 will be a clear upgrade from your current cans, even with your current amp (sound card) . The thx00 are in a completely different league and will be a real step up for you. After some time, you might want to experiment with a new dac/amp to try and get the full potential of the thx00, but my bet is the increase from to thx00 will far exceed changing the dac/amp.

Feb 2, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #4,665 of 12,086
Grain of salt, just take it as grain of salt sometimes

Honestly. There is sometimes this head game that goes on with some audiophiles around the world that you need an amp for every headphone regardless. I have come to find that this is not true for some of the newer headphones coming out. Yes a good dac/amp would maybe clean up the sound,depending on what you are using. However you personally can set down with the X00 and plug them into an iPhone or Android and be happy with the result for the most part

Imo the thx00 will be a clear upgrade from your current cans, even with your current amp (sound card) . The thx00 are in a completely different league and will be a real step up for you. After some time, you might want to experiment with a new dac/amp to try and get the full potential of the thx00, but my bet is the increase from to thx00 will far exceed changing the dac/amp.

Thanks to both, really appreciated.
It's not out of the picture that I'll get DAC/AMP later this year but already pretty big year for me as it is, can't nail that one down yet.
I'm not that knowledged in hi-fi in general and just really enjoy listening to music, the jump from my bad headphones many years ago to my first Beyers were just so big it got kinda hooked in it.
Looks like the 399$ will be well spent with these, May can't come soon enough !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back