Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jan 26, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #4,246 of 12,086
i think there is a lot of hype, but not as much as it seems. the few pairs that have sold on ebay sold for $400-500, and for a headphone that only has 2,000 in existence it seems that the hype is within a reasonable limit. but you're right, i hope that people recognize that these are probably a well valued headphone, in a world with many well valued alternatives.

on a side note, anybody know if the drivers on these are orthodynamic, or just dynamic? I'm guessing just dynamic.

Bio-cellulose dynamic.

Jan 26, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #4,247 of 12,086
  I'm going to post my reply on massdrop:

I joined in but I'm very wary about the hype regarding these headphones.  It's usually like that on this forum.  A headphone gets an enormous amount of hype for a year and then interest dies and members say that it's an "alright" headphone for the price.  I still remember the "Darth Beyers" which looked absolutely awesome but pretty much completely died out.

I'm just hoping these headphones will be like the Sennheiser HD600's, HD650's, Denon D2000's/D5000's/D7000's in that it will still have a following many years later.  I guess only time will tell.

IMO there is also such a thing as sensibility when regarding hype. When I see a product being hyped that I am interested in, I always ask myself "Why exactly are these headphones being hyped?" Some times the hype is based on stupid things like marketing or aesthetics and other times they are founded upon precedence, such as the baseline quality of the TH-600. Regardless of whether or not one likes the sound signature of the TH-600, it is undeniable that it is a pair of quality headphones. The TH-X00 are essentially the TH-600 IMO, but with the sound retuned via earpads to have have a more neutral sound for a wider audience to enjoy. It also has wood cups instead of the ones on the TH-600. Based on the hardware used and price tag, you can pretty accurately speculate "value" and use that towards determining how real the "hype" is for these headphones. IMO, while they do have some flaws (mostly cosmetic), no closed headphones sound better south of $400 that I have personally heard, primarily because the actual headphones they are altered from cost way above that price point.

Jan 26, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #4,248 of 12,086

IMO there is also such a thing as sensibility when regarding hype. When I see a product being hyped that I am interested in, I always ask myself "Why exactly are these headphones being hyped?" Some times the hype is based on stupid things like marketing or aesthetics and other times they are founded upon precedence, such as the baseline quality of the TH-600. Regardless of whether or not one likes the sound signature of the TH-600, it is undeniable that it is a pair of quality headphones. The TH-X00 are essentially the TH-600 IMO, but with the sound retuned via earpads to have have a more neutral sound for a wider audience to enjoy. It also has wood cups instead of the ones on the TH-600. Based on the hardware used and price tag, you can pretty accurately speculate "value" and use that towards determining how real the "hype" is for these headphones. IMO, while they do have some flaws (mostly cosmetic), no closed headphones sound better south of $400 that I have personally heard, primarily because the actual headphones they are altered from cost way above that price point.

+1 well said.

Jan 26, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #4,249 of 12,086
Well damn, I just impulse bought this drop, even though I have way too many closed headphones...

Jan 26, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #4,250 of 12,086
If only the CAD to USD exchange rate was better!!!! I still might bite though ahah, any Canadian on this drop?

Jan 26, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #4,251 of 12,086
So glad these are back up for sale. Grabbed mine immediately. A few years ago I purchased the th-600 and loved the way it sounded except for the bass, which I found completely overpowering. Ended up returning them for that reason. I missed the boat on the first batch of th-x00's and was so bummed. Very excited to hear something like the th-600 with a more controlled bass response.

Jan 26, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #4,253 of 12,086
I'm wondering how right is it to be comparing these to the X2? Closed vs open...? Aren't opens considered better, or is the th-x00 just that much better?

The X2 beats it on soundstage, but the THX00 is better in every other way

Jan 26, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #4,254 of 12,086
My observations about the cups were right on with @jude

At first look I could already say, wow these pads are way too shallow and my ear will end up against the driver.

Anyway the price looks nice, and the cups are cool.  Too bad I've no reason to pick up a pair since I'm already a 900 owner

Jan 26, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #4,257 of 12,086
Ordered mine. I thought they'd be sold or already based on how much hype they've had. Guess a lot of people are waiting for detachable cables.
smily_headphones1.gif

the not delivering until may has slowed down things, I believe.  Even then they will likely sell out tomorrow, which is pretty amazing for a product that they are telling you won't ship for 3 months.

Jan 26, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #4,259 of 12,086
Yes, they won't deliver till May but there's still only 2,000 of them in existence. I guess some people want it now and will try to find a used pair.

I think a lot of people who aren't totally sure if it's hype or real are just hesitant about tying up $400 for 3 months

Users who are viewing this thread

Back