Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jan 22, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #4,141 of 12,086

+1

The PM3 was just too boring.  It is not easy to put it into words...the headphone is good (the highs, mids, bass, build quality), but it is not a good headphone. 
confused_face.gif

it's a bit slow and has issues with ringing which kills its imaging.  For very neutral planar headphones I find that they need those traits to be "exciting."  The neutrality reveals those flaws very clearly, because there is no wonky sound signature flaws to hide them.  

That being said, they're flaws most closed headphones have.  I think they're fine headphones, and if you want great bass and like slightly rolled off highs (compared to most other headphones) they can be a very good target.  

Jan 22, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #4,142 of 12,086

it's a bit slow and has issues with ringing which kills its imaging.  For very neutral planar headphones I find that they need those traits to be "exciting."  The neutrality reveals those flaws very clearly, because there is no wonky sound signature flaws to hide them.  

That being said, they're flaws most closed headphones have.  I think they're fine headphones, and if you want great bass and like slightly rolled off highs (compared to most other headphones) they can be a very good target.  

Been listening to my loaners a whole bunch. They are growing on me. Certainly nice and easy to drive, and very portable imo. Last comment off topic, but wanted to update that I am starting to see why people like them in case someone reading these comments shies away from them when they are a very nice closed headphone.

Jan 22, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #4,143 of 12,086
  Been listening to my loaners a whole bunch. They are growing on me. Certainly nice and easy to drive, and very portable imo. Last comment off topic, but wanted to update that I am starting to see why people like them in case someone reading these comments shies away from them when they are a very nice closed headphone.

There are nicer sounding  portables for around (some for much less) the same price.  The DT1350, K545, H6, P7,HP50 and the Momentum sound much better (to my ears, at least).

Jan 22, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #4,146 of 12,086
The only thing that can be difficult though is to get the Alpha pads to stretch over the plastic mounting ring. I just muscled it a lot and then bent the ring inwards to get them to stretch over. Then the other annoying thing I encountered was when I tried to line up the clips with the holes and twist to lock. Because the Alpha pads are more robust than the stock pads, the material was getting in the way of the clips making contact with the slots. Just make sure you apply pressure on all sides of the earpads when you twist to lock or you'll have one side that isn't locked in and not sealing in sound.

Jan 22, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #4,147 of 12,086
  Anyone have that link showing how to put the Alpha Pads on the TH-X00? My Alpha Pads came today :)

I actually posted a link to a video demonstrating how to q.q a few pages back

if you are un able to get them on there, I'll post it again

honestly, I had the pm 2 an I felt at the time... it was the BEST worst headphone I've heard. Or the BEST headphone I've EVER heard... that I hated xD It's very consistent... like REALLY REALLY consistent and for some people that can be a real plus! As it will NEVER suprise you, I think for an entry level mid fi open/closed back it's not a bad way to go. I just... don't really enjoy it my self 

Jan 22, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #4,148 of 12,086

Some people might like it, some people might not. But it is a product that is built with quality.

Jan 22, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #4,149 of 12,086
  Some people might like it, some people might not. But it is a product that is built with quality.

It really is, build was good it came with 2 nice cables an a variety of Cables. The sound was just a little less than "stellar" but a quality product non the less 

I'd love to see Hifiman adopt the same build quality as Oppo honestly  :/ their headphones sound GREAT... build could be more "consistent" 

ehm, I'm getting my TH X00 here shortly :D 

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #4,150 of 12,086
Easy man. Take off the stock pads (twist counter clockwise), swap out ring, put in alpha pads, twist back on (clockwise)

After you posted this I got to work on them. I was super worried about breaking the plastic!

The only thing that can be difficult though is to get the Alpha pads to stretch over the plastic mounting ring. I just muscled it a lot and then bent the ring inwards to get them to stretch over. Then the other annoying thing I encountered was when I tried to line up the clips with the holes and twist to lock. Because the Alpha pads are more robust than the stock pads, the material was getting in the way of the clips making contact with the slots. Just make sure you apply pressure on all sides of the earpads when you twist to lock or you'll have one side that isn't locked in and not sealing in sound.

I am so glad you said this. I was wondering why the sound signature sounded like completely ****. It was hollow and lacking impact. Here on both sides the clips on certain ends didn't clip in.

I actually posted a link to a video demonstrating how to q.q a few pages back

if you are un able to get them on there, I'll post it again

honestly, I had the pm 2 an I felt at the time... it was the BEST worst headphone I've heard. Or the BEST headphone I've EVER heard... that I hated xD It's very consistent... like REALLY REALLY consistent and for some people that can be a real plus! As it will NEVER suprise you, I think for an entry level mid fi open/closed back it's not a bad way to go. I just... don't really enjoy it my self 

I got it. Thanks though! :)

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #4,151 of 12,086

After you posted this I got to work on them. I was super worried about breaking the plastic!

I am so glad you said this. I was wondering why the sound signature sounded like completely ****. It was hollow and lacking impact. Here on both sides the clips on certain ends didn't clip in.

I got it. Thanks though! :)

Yea I'm glad you got them working man! and yea if those clips aren't all the way in you will loose your seal and that's no beuno! 

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #4,152 of 12,086
Yea I'm glad you got them working man! and yea if those clips aren't all the way in you will loose your seal and that's no beuno! 

Yes, the alpha pads are thick leather that needs to be pulled back from the little tabs. Them twisting is tough at first until all the leather is free as it can get stuck.

That plastic ring though can take a serious beating. I have swapped pads out probably 10 times now, and I bend that sucker as needed. No change of shape at all, let alone breaking it.

Jan 22, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #4,153 of 12,086
Yes, the alpha pads are thick leather that needs to be pulled back from the little tabs. Them twisting is tough at first until all the leather is free as it can get stuck.

That plastic ring though can take a serious beating. I have swapped pads out probably 10 times now, and I bend that sucker as needed. No change of shape at all, let alone breaking it.

indeed, I also like the changes made to the Ring Holding do dad as well, the one on my D5k is a bit... fickle 

Jan 23, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #4,154 of 12,086
I'm really enjoying the TH-X00 experience.  I've been bringing them to work on Fridays when I have afternoon paperwork.  Paired with the AK-240 and the Chord Hugo, it's a winning combination and they've reminded me to make music a fun experience.  Despite their size, they've become my go-to cans on the road.  

At home I still reach for the HE-1000.  But I always end up in 'critical listening' mode with the HEK.  Those cans continue to wow me, but more in the "look what I can do" sense than the "hey let's rock" sense.  

The X00s remind me to relax and have a little fun jamming to great tunes.  

Jan 23, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #4,155 of 12,086
  I'm really enjoying the TH-X00 experience.  I've been bringing them to work on Fridays when I have afternoon paperwork.  Paired with the AK-240 and the Chord Hugo, it's a winning combination and they've reminded me to make music a fun experience.  Despite their size, they've become my go-to cans on the road.  

At home I still reach for the HE-1000.  But I always end up in 'critical listening' mode with the HEK.  Those cans continue to wow me, but more in the "look what I can do" sense than the "hey let's rock" sense.  

The X00s remind me to relax and have a little fun jamming to great tunes.  

like wise :3 

I enjoy how forgiving they can be, really very fun cans! Easy to own 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back