Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jan 24, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #4,174 of 12,086

I`d still like some more input from peeps who  have tried the alpha pads with these as well.

I currently have the Alpha pads on mine right now.

Here was my impressions I mentioned to someone else:

"Comfort is definitely far better! Does change the sound a bit, really cleans up the sound and improves the soundstage and imaging by a good amount. Though you sacrifice the mid-bass "bloom" which made the TH-X00 really fun (I personally really loved that sound because it was a great compliment to my HD800), but you do notice more sub-bass. It's too bad there's no pad that increases the comfort without altering the sound, but I'm willing to sacrifice some of the sound for far better comfort."

Jan 24, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #4,175 of 12,086
They are okay with the th900 pads, but I prefer the stock ones on them. Not surprisingly, I also prefer th900 pads on the th900. In other words, I like them both with their intended earpads.

Have you also tried the Alpha pads? Could you tell me the sound you got with the TH900 pads?

Jan 25, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #4,176 of 12,086

"Comfort is definitely far better! Does change the sound a bit, really cleans up the sound and improves the soundstage and imaging by a good amount. Though you sacrifice the mid-bass "bloom" which made the TH-X00 really fun (I personally really loved that sound because it was a great compliment to my HD800), but you do notice more sub-bass. It's too bad there's no pad that increases the comfort without altering the sound, but I'm willing to sacrifice some of the sound for far better comfort."

Makes sense to me. Thanks.

Jan 25, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #4,177 of 12,086
Are people really saying that stock pads are not comfortable enough? Really? I can't see any problem with them to be honest and they're OK after several hours.
I have found that with a shorter cable TH-X00s are reasonable for mobile use. Isolation is poor but then you might want that when roaming the streets at risk of being knocked over by cars. They're not too noisy, even though I notices a bit of a rattle while jogging. Get the Alpha pads on though and  they become comically big. Who wants to go outdoors with two mini couches strapped tho their head?

You want to try really uncomfortable pads? Get a taste of Fostex' basic planars, the T50RPs Mk3. Not that's a modern torture device indeed. Lucky some $5 ebay pads easily fixed that.

Jan 25, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #4,178 of 12,086
  Are people really saying that stock pads are not comfortable enough? Really? I can't see any problem with them to be honest and they're OK after several hours.
I have found that with a shorter cable TH-X00s are reasonable for mobile use. Isolation is poor but then you might want that when roaming the streets at risk of being knocked over by cars. They're not too noisy, even though I notices a bit of a rattle while jogging. Get the Alpha pads on though and  they become comically big. Who wants to go outdoors with two mini couches strapped tho their head?

You want to try really uncomfortable pads? Get a taste of Fostex' basic planars, the T50RPs Mk3. Not that's a modern torture device indeed. Lucky some $5 ebay pads easily fixed that.

Personally, I like teh sound changes. I juse Recabled mine and the mids are rather forward an teh sub bass is very nice! 

Bruv, I used to wander around my High School with a Sony XB 700, you want to talk about having couches starpped to your noggin lol 

Jan 25, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #4,179 of 12,086

I couldn't wear the stock pads longer than an hour. They actually hurt my ears to wear.. I don't know if I have medium or large sized ears but my ears were lacking room with the stock pads and it was like folding my ear and after an hour it would feel sore. With the Alpha pads I don't get that problem and there is also noticeably more cup depth and space for your ears. The angle of the Alpha pads is also steeper than the stock pads angle so the soundstage improves as well.

I might sell my stock earpads soon so keep your eyes out for a FS listing soon. I was just hoping I could get in the possession of another plastic mounting ring so I could do quick earpads comparisons without the hassle of having to stretch the Alpha pads over the plastic ring again.

Jan 25, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #4,180 of 12,086
Do you think sound isolation decreases with the alpha pads?

Jan 25, 2016 at 1:36 AM Post #4,181 of 12,086
Do you think sound isolation decreases with the alpha pads?

I think the differences are hardly noticeable. If you haven't noticed there is that slight gap between the earcups and headphone frame. I believe these are semi-open headphones, so no matter how good the earpads are you will never have the isolation of a completely sealed design.

That being said, I would say the Alpha pads might give you slightly better isolation, and for me I think it has to do with the fit. I get a better seal with the Alpha pads and I barely got a seal with the stock ones. But still expect sound to leak out with the Alpha pads. If you were in a very quiet study room, people would hear your music blasting and leaking out of your cans.

Jan 25, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #4,182 of 12,086
I've been juggeling between alpha pads and the stock pads, and have made up my mind. The stock pads sound better for me than the Alpha pads. Since my ears fit nice within the stock pads, there's no reason for me to use the alpha pads really. I'd ordered me Denon pads to try out, but they take forever to reach me it seems...

Jan 25, 2016 at 3:42 AM Post #4,183 of 12,086
  I've been juggeling between alpha pads and the stock pads, and have made up my mind. The stock pads sound better for me than the Alpha pads. Since my ears fit nice within the stock pads, there's no reason for me to use the alpha pads really. I'd ordered me Denon pads to try out, but they take forever to reach me it seems...

Good to hear. No pun intended. Thanks.

Jan 25, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #4,184 of 12,086
I think that how these sound with stock pads is relative to individuals ear sizes. The stock pads have quite small openings which can cause comfort issues but also make the bass uncontrolled.

The stock pads openings are too small for me.

Have tried a cheap pair of pads from ebay and HM5 pads.

Both are more comfortable to me and improve the bass quality.

The ebay pads are thinner than the HM5 pads, so mean my ears are closer to the drivers. The result is greater bass impact. The HM5's being thicker mean that the overall sound is a bit more balanced/bass has less impact.

Just my thoughts, others may disagree.

Jan 25, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #4,185 of 12,086
I think that how these sound with stock pads is relative to individuals ear sizes. The stock pads have quite small openings which can cause comfort issues but also make the bass uncontrolled.

The stock pads openings are too small for me.

Have tried a cheap pair of pads from ebay and HM5 pads.

Both are more comfortable to me and improve the bass quality.

The ebay pads are thinner than the HM5 pads, so mean my ears are closer to the drivers. The result is greater bass impact. The HM5's being thicker mean that the overall sound is a bit more balanced/bass has less impact.

Just my thoughts, others may disagree.

That's good to hear.

I just ordered these from a fellow Headfier, and I have the flat Brianwavz pads, which I like quite a bit. I'll probably end up using those, unless my research indicates the BW angled or Alpha pads are a better fit. 

I'll be using these for a lot of metal music and some gaming, to complement my HIFIMAN HE-400i. I was just a little concerned about the bass being a little loose for me, but maybe I'll like them. I liked the Fidelio X2s. 

I'm pretty excited!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back