Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jan 11, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #3,916 of 12,086
Hello, Head-fi'ers, I got my Fostex TH-X00 pair a week ago. First impresions was quiet good. Every day of using my cans sounding better and better by slight. 3 days ago, I tryed JLab audio burn in 10minutes (Pink noise/pause, white noise/pause brown noise/pause and etc..) file. I made playlist with 30 files and go to work, when I back home, I found still playing noises(Left 12hours). I put my headphones and notice slight difference. I listen more time and headphones start changing drastically. 1 hour and I notice day and night difference. Throught my Samsung Galaxy S5 it sounded amazing. I am not audiophile take this with grain of salt. Mids/Vocals was Full, Rich, very natural, instruments seperation great, Bass very tight, deep, low. Everything was very clean and natural...Wow, wow. But.. next day it won't sound as good as previous day. It's like sound quality rolling back drastically. I want to see opininions about this phenomenon.

It's probably your brain and not the hardware. Music sounds different to me at different times of day, at different blood pressures, if I have a headache, etc.

Jan 11, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #3,917 of 12,086
-Yes I tried adjusting.
-Yes I used same Galaxy S5, same source, Tidal, Spotify, Youtube. (Every track sounded amazing no matterfrom I played, pink noise sounded different)
Yes same I check same song, same test (Bass test, hearing test, explotions test, movie test) Same Eq
Pop out is often on Samsung Galaxy S5

Jan 11, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #3,919 of 12,086
  ehm I fixed that for you ;3

Personally, I find the Vali 2 to do a great hob with my HE 4, more so than my Starlight. How ever the HE 4 still sounds better out of my Balanced NFB10ES2 [POOOOOOOOOOOOOWER] that said for lower impdeance dynamics I feel the Vali 2 falls a little short, like the Vali 1 did. With Harder to drive Orthos or higher Impedance Dynamics the Vali 2 does better 

still though the TH X00 in general is not the best sounding headphone on tubes 

haha right

Yea I'll say the TH X00 reminded me how... rough the treble can get on my HE 4, granted feed the HE 4 some well mixed binural audio an it's BLISS, anything else an it can get a little hot up top

I still like my Grado/ishs though, My MS1i an Senn Grado are both a joy to have around ^^ 

Yeah the Vali 2 is really good with the HIFIMAN headphones.

Me too I still like my Grado, I wouldn't be able to live without them.

Jan 11, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #3,920 of 12,086
Stand arrived. Love how the Grain matches and it truly is a one of a kind!! 
cool.gif

Jan 11, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #3,921 of 12,086
I, too, am looking for an exta pair of stock pads if anyone would like to sell theirs to recover some alpha pad costs. Just shoot me a pm so we can discuss.

Jan 11, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #3,922 of 12,086

Yeah the Vali 2 is really good with the HIFIMAN headphones.

Me too I still like my Grado, I wouldn't be able to live without them.

yea I'm noticing that 

I, too, am looking for an exta pair of stock pads if anyone would like to sell theirs to recover some alpha pad costs. Just shoot me a pm so we can discuss.

hopefully some one will hit you up shortly! I sold mine earlier today xD 

Jan 11, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #3,924 of 12,086

I too have been thinking about how to get my hands on extra pads as I also have no comfort issues with the stock pads, but check out the TH-500rp. The pads on those look similar if not the exact same as the TH-x00s so I'm hoping Fostex will be selling replacement pads for those and the TH-x00s if they aren't already.

Jan 11, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #3,925 of 12,086
I too have been thinking about how to get my hands on extra pads as I also have no comfort issues with the stock pads, but check out the TH-500rp. The pads on those look similar if not the exact same as the TH-x00s so I'm hoping Fostex will be selling replacement pads for those and the TH-x00s if they aren't already.

I'd imagine I cannot be the only person who's got a pair of spares, an honestly I've never had an issue with pads. My L3000 Pads are like 2 years old an no issues 

Jan 11, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #3,926 of 12,086
Listening to Blackstar in memory of the Man, The Legend, David Bowie.

If anyone hasn't listened to the album yet, listen to the third track Lazarus on the Fostex TH-X00. 

HOLY ZIGGYSTARDUST. 

There's drums and a bass guitar playing at the beginning and it sounds ******* amazing.

Jan 11, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #3,927 of 12,086
  Listening to Blackstar in memory of the Man, The Legend, David Bowie.

If anyone hasn't listened to the album yet, listen to the third track Lazarus on the Fostex TH-X00. 

HOLY ZIGGYSTARDUST. 

There's drums and a bass guitar playing at the beginning and it sounds ******* amazing.

I like a lot of Bowie's work :/ an I really need to get some of his music  

you tube never does him justice 

Jan 11, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #3,928 of 12,086

I have both the TH500RP and the TH-X00.  The two units share all of the same hardware with the exception of the drivers and the cups.  Everything else is identical (ear pads, cable, magnesium frame, headband etc...).  There have been a couple post stating that the plastic ring inside of the stock pad are for tuning the TH-X00.  As the pads are the very same as the TH-500RP which have a very different sound signature I doubt the inner ring does any tuning.

I bought the alpha pads for the comfort they provide on both sets of headphones.  But I will keep them as I like the improved sound quality provided by the alpha pads.

I would recommend the alpha pads to anyone finding the ear openings in the stock pads to small.

I will probably keep the stock pads just in case I sell either pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back