Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jan 11, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #3,901 of 12,086
  I'm back on the stock pads now and the sound is so much more satisfying.

Struggling to understand how they can sound so different.

I've pad rolled with my Hifiman HE-400 and even made some jergpads but all that is nothing compared to the difference with these THX and the hybrid HM5 pads.

It changes the distance and direction of how sound is delivered to your ears as well as the shape of the hole delivering the sound.

Jan 11, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #3,902 of 12,086
 I'm back on the stock pads now and the sound is so much more satisfying.

Struggling to understand how they can sound so different.

I've pad rolled with my Hifiman HE-400 and even made some jergpads but all that is nothing compared to the difference with these THX and the hybrid HM5 pads.

pads matter much more for closed back headphones than open back headphones, as the cavity and seal are a much larger aspect of the sound than in open headphones.

Jan 11, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #3,903 of 12,086
  Hope so my dx 1000 certainly plays better on my nfb10.32 in balanced mode :)

^^ yea that's what I'm hoping for too 

but that's the amp it's a balanced dac to amp design so it sounds it's best in it's native form 

Jan 11, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #3,905 of 12,086

Yeah, I'm not sure if I like the TH-X00 with the Vali 2.

I will continue to burn the amp but so far I'm not really impressed.  

I agree - and it's not a knock on the Vali 2, which does not have typical tube issues. I just like the "naked" sound of the TH-X00 straight from a solid-state source.

Jan 11, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #3,906 of 12,086

Yeah, I'm not sure if I like the TH-X00 with the Vali 2.

I will continue to burn the amp but so far I'm not really impressed.  

I agree - and it's not a knock on the Vali 2, which does not have typical tube issues. I just like the "naked" sound of the TH-X00 straight from a solid-state source.

Well I don't really like the Vali 2, compared to my G1217 Starlight  the Vali 2 sounds... sluggish an a little smeared, an I'll admit that while the TH X00 sounds better out of the Starlight, it's still at it's best running from my Solid States

how ever my LA D5k sounds great out of the Starlight! [I prefer it to my Balanced Solid State for like half my music collection q.q] 

Jan 11, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #3,907 of 12,086

Well I don't really like the Vali 2, compared to my G1217 Starlight  the Vali 2 sounds... sluggish an a little smeared, an I'll admit that while the TH X00 sounds better out of the Starlight, it's still at it's best running from my Solid States

how ever my LA D5k sounds great out of the Starlight! [I prefer it to my Balanced Solid State for like half my music collection q.q] 

The Vali 2 is a bad match with my TH-X00 and with my Grado SR225e...so I will put it on sale tonight!

I like the Vali 2 with the HE-400i but I'm getting rid of the HIFIMAN because I have more fun with my TH-X00.

Jan 11, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #3,908 of 12,086

The Vali 2 is a bad match with my TH-X00 and with my Grado SR225e...so I will put it on sale tonight!

I like the Vali 2 with the HE-400i but I'm getting rid of the HIFIMAN because I have more fun with my TH-X00.

I returned my Philips X2 because I like the TH-X00 more and the X00 made me realize how sibilant the X2s were which was annoying me.  Not sure I'd ever listen them so no point in keeping them.

Jan 11, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #3,909 of 12,086

I returned my Philips X2 because I like the TH-X00 more and the X00 made me realize how sibilant the X2s were which was annoying me.  Not sure I'd ever listen them so no point in keeping them.

Yeah I also think that my Grado are sibilant since I got the TH-X00 
wink.gif

Jan 11, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #3,910 of 12,086

The Vali 2 is bad  with my TH-X00 and with my Grado SR225e...so I will put it on sale tonight!

ehm I fixed that for you ;3

Personally, I find the Vali 2 to do a great hob with my HE 4, more so than my Starlight. How ever the HE 4 still sounds better out of my Balanced NFB10ES2 [POOOOOOOOOOOOOWER] that said for lower impdeance dynamics I feel the Vali 2 falls a little short, like the Vali 1 did. With Harder to drive Orthos or higher Impedance Dynamics the Vali 2 does better 

still though the TH X00 in general is not the best sounding headphone on tubes 

Yeah I also think that my Grado are sibilant since I got the TH-X00 
wink.gif

haha right

Yea I'll say the TH X00 reminded me how... rough the treble can get on my HE 4, granted feed the HE 4 some well mixed binural audio an it's BLISS, anything else an it can get a little hot up top

I still like my Grado/ishs though, My MS1i an Senn Grado are both a joy to have around ^^ 

Jan 11, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #3,914 of 12,086
Hello, Head-fi'ers, I got my Fostex TH-X00 pair a week ago. First impresions was quiet good. Every day of using my cans sounding better and better by slight. 3 days ago, I tryed JLab audio burn in 10minutes (Pink noise/pause, white noise/pause brown noise/pause and etc..) file. I made playlist with 30 files and go to work, when I back home, I found still playing noises(Left 12hours). I put my headphones and notice slight difference. I listen more time and headphones start changing drastically. 1 hour and I notice day and night difference. Throught my Samsung Galaxy S5 it sounded amazing. I am not audiophile take this with grain of salt. Mids/Vocals was Full, Rich, very natural, instruments seperation great, Bass very tight, deep, low. Everything was very clean and natural...Wow, wow. But.. next day it won't sound as good as previous day. It's like sound quality rolling back drastically. I want to see opininions about this phenomenon.

Jan 11, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #3,915 of 12,086
Hello, Head-fi'ers, I got my Fostex TH-X00 pair a week ago. First impresions was quiet good. Every day of using my cans sounding better and better by slight. 3 days ago, I tryed JLab audio burn in 10minutes (Pink noise/pause, white noise/pause brown noise/pause and etc..) file. I made playlist with 30 files and go to work, when I back home, I found still playing noises(Left 12hours). I put my headphones and notice slight difference. I listen more time and headphones start changing drastically. 1 hour and I notice day and night difference. Throught my Samsung Galaxy S5 it sounded amazing. I am not audiophile take this with grain of salt. Mids/Vocals was Full, Rich, very natural, instruments seperation great, Bass very tight, deep, low. Everything was very clean and natural...Wow, wow. But.. next day it won't sound as good as previous day. It's like sound quality rolling back drastically. I want to see opininions about this phenomenon.

I have a few questions:
- Have you tried adjusting the way you are wearing the cups? As you can probably tell from going through this thread, slight variations on wearing them results in significant sound changes.
- Was both days using the same Galaxy S5? Different sources usually result in different sound.
- Were you listening to the exact same song with the exact same volume and EQ settings?
- Is your music file streamed or is it on the local storage of your phone? If it is streamed, make sure your download speeds are high enough.
- Did you verify that the cable was securely plugged in? I ask because the included adapter is junk and pops out partially very easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back