Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jan 9, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #3,871 of 12,087

I have no issues with sweat and the Alpha pads. Although I did with the stock e-protein leather pads. I would say though that the time of year matters very much for me too. In the summer my ears get sweaty with the Alpha pads when the relative humidity is up over 60% and the temperature outside is in the 80s to 90s (I live without air conditioning too). So far this winter I have never sweat wearing the TH-X00 with Alpha pads.

I'm sold. Where did you get your Alpha pads?

Jan 9, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #3,873 of 12,087
  Hi all,

The only complaint I have with my TH-X00 is that my ears get sweaty after wearing them for awhile. I'm used to using HD 600s which have never caused any sweat for me, even when worn for hours on end. Is this just an aspect of closed back headphones in general?

I searched the thread for "sweat" and found one post talking about the Alpha pads being helpful to reduce it. Can anyone back that up or does anyone have other pad replacement suggestions for this issue? I also did a quick google search for "alpha pads th-x00" and didn't find any links to buy them in the first few pages of results. Where does one buy them?

Thanks.

google mrspeakers...accessories...pads

Jan 9, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #3,874 of 12,087
MrSpeakers.com

YEAP

you can also check the For Sale Threads here, I bought mine second hand [I might have traded for them actually I don't entirely remember] but either way they are great pads! Had mine over a year an I forget I didn't buy them new 

Jan 10, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #3,875 of 12,087
  I'm sold. Where did you get your Alpha pads?

I bought mine from another Head-fi'er brand new. He had never used them and sold them full price to me, which I think is perfectly understandable considering they were in mint condition and also they are currently sold out until Dan's production can keep up with the orders.

Jan 10, 2016 at 6:18 AM Post #3,876 of 12,087

Yea Lawton Pads are terrible on the TH X00, I like them on my LA D5k but they... just eat up all the decay an bass on the Fostex

Alphas though take an already warm headphone an tune it a little darker, with a bigger sound stage an better sub bass. They tighten the bass a little bit as well 

i completely agree bass is substantially worse with the lawton pads when in comparison to the stock pads which is a shame because they are a lot more comfy

Jan 10, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #3,877 of 12,087
I think these sound great stock but I recently swapped out the stock pads for these HM5 "hybrid" pads:
http://www.brainwavzaudio.com/products/headphone-pad-hybrid

I ordered these before even taking delivery of my THX00 as I thought my ears would have no chance fitting the stock pads, though I shouldn't have worried.

What I was hearing straight away with the hybrid pads is a lot of the bass body/bloom had gone.

Bass is still present but it's taking a back seat. Mids and highs have stepped forward.

My initial impression was to swap them straight back as I wanted the fun bass but after some more time they actually sound impressive in a totally different way. It is not a slight change, these have really transformed this headphone. 

Comfort and aesthetics have improved.

I will add that I didn't expect the swap to be as difficult as it was, really needed to stretch the HM5 pads around the rings, but now they are on they look and fit great.

Jan 10, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #3,878 of 12,087
The EP-007 works also with this Headphones.

Jan 10, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #3,880 of 12,087
EP-007 is the bigger one(top left / bottom right).

Overall the sound is cleaner, specialy the bass also give a bit more treble.

Jan 10, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #3,881 of 12,087
  I think these sound great stock but I recently swapped out the stock pads for these HM5 "hybrid" pads:
http://www.brainwavzaudio.com/products/headphone-pad-hybrid

I ordered these before even taking delivery of my THX00 as I thought my ears would have no chance fitting the stock pads, though I shouldn't have worried.

What I was hearing straight away with the hybrid pads is a lot of the bass body/bloom had gone.

Bass is still present but it's taking a back seat. Mids and highs have stepped forward.

My initial impression was to swap them straight back as I wanted the fun bass but after some more time they actually sound impressive in a totally different way. It is not a slight change, these have really transformed this headphone. 

Comfort and aesthetics have improved.

I will add that I didn't expect the swap to be as difficult as it was, really needed to stretch the HM5 pads around the rings, but now they are on they look and fit great.

Do you find speech get through better for gaming/moves? 26,5$ and free shipping is certainly no ripoff. As for the bass do you find they are still bassy or have they removed so much bass they are more mid range/treble centric?

As for stock earpads I don´t find them getting sweaty at all relative to the DX 1000 and LCD-2. Maybe get warmer in the LCD-2 actually. Probably due to the larger surface.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back