Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jan 8, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #3,842 of 12,089
Talking of Headphone Stands, check out this Mahogany Beauty from Jamie at Wightmarine. These are Handmade by an Engineer from the Isle Of Wight. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121856558383?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Jan 8, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #3,843 of 12,089

​Or even age.  At my advanced age I am sure that my hearing of the highs is greatly reduced from my indiscretions of youth.  I also tend to prefer brighter headphones to begin with.

However, I do still have pretty good hearing as far as bass and mids go.

With that said my subjective impression is that with the Alpha Pads there is less boomy bass.  That may be what gives me the subjective impression that the mids are than slightly more forward. It may be that with me hearing less bass boom, I can hear the mids better. 

But as already stated everyone's hearing and personal preferences are different.  IMHO, YMMV, yada yada yada...

We seem to have the same headphone and idea about mid range.

As for headphone stand this would be the coolest and would solve the problem with spl metres :wink: 
http://www.thomann.de/se/neumann_ku100.htm

Jan 8, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #3,844 of 12,089
Talking of Headphone Stands, check out this Mahogany Beauty from Jamie at Wightmarine. These are Handmade by an Engineer from the Isle Of Wight. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121856558383?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I've been keeping an eye on his auctions for the last month or so. He has made some really nice stands (and has some really nice gear as well). Now that the holidays are out the way this is top of my wish list. Hopefully he will start listing again and then it a choice of which one(s) to buy. Was tempted to fire him a message to see if he could make some to match the th-x00.

Jan 8, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #3,845 of 12,089
I've been keeping an eye on his auctions for the last month or so. He has made some really nice stands (and has some really nice gear as well). Now that the holidays are out the way this is top of my wish list. Hopefully he will start listing again and then it a choice of which one(s) to buy. Was tempted to fire him a message to see if he could make some to match the th-x00.

You should definitely do that! I've just bought this one in the end, the 3rd picture matches the grain on my th-x00 perfectly. Very interested to see what you end up with if he does custom build for you!

Jan 8, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #3,846 of 12,089
On the topic of spl, I usually listen at about 70db according to my meter app on my phone which is almost exactly on par with the measurements you get from the standard cheap meters.

When calibrating for a show, my professors usually run the speakers at 80db which is about the edge of comfortable sustained listening for me, especially with the bass on the TH-X00's

Jan 8, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #3,847 of 12,089

He had this listed before xmas (that didn't sell). Was tempted but didn't want one that the pads rest against.

Jan 8, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #3,852 of 12,089
Is there a general consensus on which earpads work best for these headphones (preferably a genuine leather one)? Or is the stock pads as good as it gets? I like the sound as it is, just want something a bit more spacious and comfortable/softer, stock ones are a bit smaller and harder.

Jan 8, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #3,853 of 12,089

Quote:
  Is there a general consensus on which earpads work best for these headphones (preferably a genuine leather one)? Or is the stock pads as good as it gets? I like the sound as it is, just want something a bit more spacious and comfortable/softer, stock ones are a bit smaller and harder.

The Alpha Pads have good results according to most here. Lawton pads are apparently bad, and other pads are not really tested so I wouldn't know about that. The Alpha Pads alter the sound somewhat, so that may or may not be to your liking.

Jan 8, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #3,854 of 12,089
  The Alpha Pads have good results according to most here. Lawton pads are apparently bad, and other pads are not really tested so I wouldn't know about that. The Alpha Pads alter the sound somewhat, so that may or may not be to your liking.

Thanks, will look into those pads. In what way does the Alpha pads alter the sound? Any idea?

Jan 8, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #3,855 of 12,089
Thanks, will look into those pads. In what way does the Alpha pads alter the sound? Any idea?

Yes, plenty of ideas, with various impressions. Just use the 'search this thread' option and type in 'Alpha pads.'

:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back