Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jan 8, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #3,856 of 12,087
Yes, plenty of ideas, with various impressions. Just use the 'search this thread' option and type in 'Alpha pads.'

wink.gif

Wow I did not even know there was a "search this thread" option. I'll definitely use it, thanks!

Jan 8, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #3,857 of 12,087
those that experience slight channel imbalance with th-x00. try adjust the pad. i found that mine was a little to the right, then i adjusted the pad on the left, eliminated the problem.

rotate the pad until you got it right.

i did a 180degree turn on both pad, and then listened, then confirmed that it is dead center, means it is caused by the pad. then i turn 180 degree back to the original position, then adjusted slightly until the sound is right.

Jan 9, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #3,860 of 12,087

Here's how mine looks like, quite happy with them 

Hey I have the same stand! Lol. My 400i and its cable is on it, though. I have a different one coming from sonicelectronix for the X00.

Jan 9, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #3,863 of 12,087
Hi all,

The only complaint I have with my TH-X00 is that my ears get sweaty after wearing them for awhile. I'm used to using HD 600s which have never caused any sweat for me, even when worn for hours on end. Is this just an aspect of closed back headphones in general?

I searched the thread for "sweat" and found one post talking about the Alpha pads being helpful to reduce it. Can anyone back that up or does anyone have other pad replacement suggestions for this issue? I also did a quick google search for "alpha pads th-x00" and didn't find any links to buy them in the first few pages of results. Where does one buy them?

Thanks.

Jan 9, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #3,864 of 12,087
Hi all,

The only complaint I have with my TH-X00 is that my ears get sweaty after wearing them for awhile. I'm used to using HD 600s which have never caused any sweat for me, even when worn for hours on end. Is this just an aspect of closed back headphones in general?

I searched the thread for "sweat" and found one post talking about the Alpha pads being helpful to reduce it. Can anyone back that up or does anyone have other pad replacement suggestions for this issue?

Thanks.

The sweat is mainly due to the proximity of the pads to your ears, as well as the material of the pads.

The alphas help due to the larger holes and greater depth. It has very little to do with the fact that the cans are closed.

Jan 9, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #3,865 of 12,087
  Hi all,

I searched the thread for "sweat" and found one post talking about the Alpha pads being helpful to reduce it. Can anyone back that up or does anyone have other pad replacement suggestions for this issue? I also did a quick google search for "alpha pads th-x00" and didn't find any links to buy them in the first few pages of results. Where does one buy them?

Thanks.

I have no issues with sweat and the Alpha pads. Although I did with the stock e-protein leather pads. I would say though that the time of year matters very much for me too. In the summer my ears get sweaty with the Alpha pads when the relative humidity is up over 60% and the temperature outside is in the 80s to 90s (I live without air conditioning too). So far this winter I have never sweat wearing the TH-X00 with Alpha pads.

Jan 9, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #3,866 of 12,087
  Is there a general consensus on which earpads work best for these headphones (preferably a genuine leather one)? Or is the stock pads as good as it gets? I like the sound as it is, just want something a bit more spacious and comfortable/softer, stock ones are a bit smaller and harder.

Thanks, will look into those pads. In what way does the Alpha pads alter the sound? Any idea?

Yea Lawton Pads are terrible on the TH X00, I like them on my LA D5k but they... just eat up all the decay an bass on the Fostex

Alphas though take an already warm headphone an tune it a little darker, with a bigger sound stage an better sub bass. They tighten the bass a little bit as well 

Jan 9, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #3,867 of 12,087
Yea Lawton Pads are terrible on the TH X00, I like them on my LA D5k but they... just eat up all the decay an bass on the Fostex

Alphas though take an already warm headphone an tune it a little darker, with a bigger sound stage an better sub bass. They tighten the bass a little bit as well 

You're calling the thx00 warm? To my ears the treble is nice and present. I would not call them balanced, but I would not call them warm....

Jan 9, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #3,868 of 12,087
You're calling the thx00 warm? To my ears the treble is nice and present. I would not call them balanced, but I would not call them warm....

:/ yea they are quite warm, the mids are some what forward an have a touch of extra decay, additionally the Treble is tappered back a notch an there's some nice bloom on the bass 

The TH X00 is what a warm headphone should an does sound like, the slpha pads cut out some of the bloom in the bass making the headphone a little darker overall 

Jan 9, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #3,869 of 12,087
  :/ yea they are quite warm, the mids are some what forward an have a touch of extra decay, additionally the Treble is tappered back a notch an there's some nice bloom on the bass 

The TH X00 is what a warm headphone should an does sound like, the slpha pads cut out some of the bloom in the bass making the headphone a little darker overall 

I thought "warm" was a descriptor used to describe a lack of treble presence/extension? Maybe I have my terms missunderstood.

Jan 9, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #3,870 of 12,087
  I thought "warm" was a descriptor used to describe a lack of treble presence/extension? Maybe I have my terms missunderstood.

it depends on the person, forward mids and added Decay in the bass with a recessed treble are what I consider to be warm 

Having forward mids alone, does make a headphone warm 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back