Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jan 2, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #3,677 of 12,086
Flip on some tunes and listen to them change while on your head.  (brain burn-in)

Otherwise you could just play slightly louder than normal music through them and throw them in a closet for 48 hours.  (you can run pink noise but that's kind of on the extreme side of burn-in and completely unnecessary IMO)

I left mine in my HE400i box overnight playing Nine Inch Nails at 90 dB. I also would plug them in the extra output on the m9XX any time I was listening to another headphone.
But yeah, there's no right way to burn them in, as long as you don't blow the voice coil because you heard burn in should be ultra loud.

Jan 2, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #3,678 of 12,086
  Like wise, my LA D5k is modded like crazy an with all of Lawton Mods it's really very balanced now much like my Modded W1000x, the two still have genres they do better with than the other, but I can enjoy the majority of my collection without swapping headphones out. Though according to my mood I may swap from one to another,

I kinda only got the TH X00 to use with the LA D5k with my iBasso PB2 HiRose to Dual XLR Spiltter so I can share music with my fiancee [she really likes the orange color of these too hhhh] 

Mshenay,  I am almost  100% positive you and I have talked in the Ibasso pb2 thread, and I wanted to ask how you felt the th-x00 paired with the ibasso pb2( now I know the pb2 is fantastic in general, but more of synergy) I was just curious to hear you impressions on the pairing.

Jan 2, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #3,680 of 12,086

Going back to the THX00 v D5K woody action, definitely like the Fostex better.

Quote:

yep no doubt

Going by that picture, I agree that the Fostex looks better.  When you see both of them in front of you though, the Denon looks better to me.  Both are beautiful headphones.  One is a stunning blonde and the other one is a gorgeous brunette. 
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 2, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #3,681 of 12,086
  Happy New Years, everyone! I'm wondering if the Mr. Speakers case would fit the X00? Anyone tried or have a case to try? The price point is spot on and it looks to be a more compact, nice case. I was going to order a pair of Alpha pads and thought to pick up the case too, if it fits. 

Cheers and thanks! 

Love my Mr Speakers case and even bought a second case to use with my HE6's. The TH-X00 fits but it's a tight squeeze to fit the phones (especially the gimbals) and cable in. 

Jan 2, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #3,682 of 12,086

I own both headphones. Surprisingly, I have found the TH-X00 w/ Alpha pads to suit my tastes even more than the Alpha Dogs now.

To be fair, my Alpha Dogs have very squished down pads, I mean like to the point where they definitely need to be replaced. But the TH-X00 is definitely the more "airy" headphone and I feel much better treble extension even if it can be a little more fatiguing with some songs. The Alpha Dogs are honestly darker than neutral headphones but they make up for it with a more romantic midrange that doesn't intrude the sound signature. The TH-X00 midrange has greatly improved and I think it is almost on par with the Alpha Dogs. The TH-X00 also has slightly more extended and voluptuous bass. The Alpha Dogs with the squished down pads have good bass but I wouldn't say it is quite as satisfying as the TH-X00, but they definitely aren't slouches at all. I'll give them a fair comparison once I replace the pads to brand new fresh ones on the Alpha Dogs.

However, consider the TH-X00 with Alpha pads a complete game killer. These are probably a better value than the original MSRP $599 Alpha Dogs. At $500 what it comes down to is preference in sound signature, isolation versus less isolation (of TH-X00), and of course semi-open versus sealed closed headphones. The TH-X00 are definitely going to have a bigger soundstage with more perceived air in the treble frequencies so I would recommend them over the Alpha Dogs once you add Alpha pads to them. I preferred my Alpha Dogs though before I swapped pads, now I am leaning for the TH-X00 more of the time with the Alpha pads attached.

Same. I seriously bet these could give the Alpha Primes a run for their money. I do remember the Alpha Primes having a more extended treble than the Alpha Dogs with a larger soundstage from the V-planar modding so I'm sure they'd fair better than Alpha Dogs in that department.

Wow, awesome! This is the feedback I was looking for. Thank you! This probably rules out the Alpha Dog but the Alpha Prime intrigues me. However, I think I need to do myself a solid and get the Alpha pads for the TH-X00 before letting them go. I don't mind the treble on these; it's the recessed mids on certain tracks that really disappoint me. I'm willing, and actually prefer, to compromise some bass to bring the mids forward.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond!

Like wise, it's good to hear the comparison 

Jan 2, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #3,683 of 12,086
These don't touch the Alpha Primes. Alpha Primes has bigger soundstage, better extension in the treble, tighter, faster bass with less decay (by far). The mids on the primes are glorious, whereas on the THX00 they are somewhat recessed. The Primes have a much more neutral signature, and the treble is adjustable so they can get reasonably airy. The THX00 have more of an airy experience, though I don't think they extend as far as the primes. The subbass is killer on the thx00 for an emphasized subbass, the primes bass is exceptional, but neutral.

They are both excellent headphones for their prices, but they are very different. Don't fool yourself into thinking the thx00 reaches to the level of the primes, just enjoy them for a great deal at $400. Primes are on another level imo, but you have to pay for it.

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #3,684 of 12,086
These don't touch the Alpha Primes. Alpha Primes has bigger soundstage, better extension in the treble, tighter, faster bass with less decay (by far). The mids on the primes are glorious, whereas on the THX00 they are somewhat recessed. The Primes have a much more neutral signature, and the treble is adjustable so they can get reasonably airy. The THX00 have more of an airy experience, though I don't think they extend as far as the primes. The subbass is killer on the thx00 for an emphasized subbass, the primes bass is exceptional, but neutral.

They are both excellent headphones for their prices, but they are very different. Don't fool yourself into thinking the thx00 reaches to the level of the primes, just enjoy them for a great deal at $400. Primes are on another level imo, but you have to pay for it.

Ha! That's good to hear because I just got a pretty good deal on a used pair that's barely been used. I said I would try the Alpha pads on the TH-X00 but it looks like I will have to pass on that experiment to cover the cost of the Prime. Might need to sell some other stuff, too, along with my soul.

Jan 2, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #3,685 of 12,086

Flip on some tunes and listen to them change while on your head.  (brain burn-in)

Otherwise you could just play slightly louder than normal music through them and throw them in a closet for 48 hours.  (you can run pink noise but that's kind of on the extreme side of burn-in and completely unnecessary IMO)

I left mine in my HE400i box overnight playing Nine Inch Nails at 90 dB. I also would plug them in the extra output on the m9XX any time I was listening to another headphone.
But yeah, there's no right way to burn them in, as long as you don't blow the voice coil because you heard burn in should be ultra loud.

Finally i got my headphones, I unbox and wow, very gorgeous headphones. I plug into my Samsung galaxy S5 and it's sounds quiet good. I hear what this headphones changes drastically after burn-in. I have a question how to burn-in these beauties correctly?

A few experiences in the thread suggested that at some point throwing in a batch of deep and punchy bass tracks for hours may help taming and tightening the bass response.
 But yeah, there's no right way to burn them in,

as you probably know burn-in has super long been a controversy at best, even when in the case that it is rightfully true it's still pretty much phone-dependent. Commonly you have many tens of hours before like it's too late to feed a large driver quality tracks as various as you can, just don't expose it much to bad recordings then I guess you are safe
smile.gif

Regard to what volume should be used, it's more of a 'believe it or not and at your own risk' matter. As long as you don't feel too unsatisfied and suspicious you don't need to go extreme.

Jan 2, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #3,686 of 12,086

Love my Mr Speakers case and even bought a second case to use with my HE6's. The TH-X00 fits but it's a tight squeeze to fit the phones (especially the gimbals) and cable in. 

Hi Snejk,

Thanks for the response and trying the case out with the X00. Too close for comfort? Or would you be happy with the case for the X00?

It might be that the Hippo case is a better fit.  

Jan 2, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #3,687 of 12,086
Anyone else have twisting of the cable sheath? The sheath up to the right cup on mine is twisted and although it's purely cosmetic it's kinda bugging me.

You mean *the sheath* itself or the part of cable right out from sheath?

If it is the cable like the right one in this pic then mine also came quite twisted both line. (This is not my pic, but mine is no better than that in this pic)

Jan 2, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #3,688 of 12,086

You mean *the sheath* itself or the part of cable right out from sheath?

If it is the cable like the right one in this pic then mine also came quite twisted both line. (This is not my pic, but mine is no better than that in this pic)

That's exactly what mine look like also.  Seems a bit "half-assed", for lack of a better word, even if it doesn't affect the sound or functionality.  It messes with my obsessive side.

Jan 3, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #3,689 of 12,086
Does anyone know how these would pair with the Sony pha-2

Jan 3, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #3,690 of 12,086
My TH-X00 is up for sale in the for sale forum. It's been fun, all.

EDIT: SOLD! (Even I wasn't expecting it to go that fast.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back