Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 23, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #3,346 of 12,086
  I personally think yes. The TH-X00 gives me the warmer side of the spectrum while the 6XX gives the more analytical aspect. I find the HD700/800 a bit too bright for me.

I have the hd650 which is already pretty warm.  My 400i is closer to neutral with just a touch of warmth.

Dec 23, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #3,347 of 12,086
Anyone use these to watch TV, Movies, or gaming from a TV a good few feet in front of you? Tried using them to watch a show, One Punch Man, through my Pioneer Elite's headphone port. Was surprised to find out that I didn't like how the sound didn't feel like it was coming from in front of me. Kind of took me aback. I mean, yeah they are headphones and they sit on your head, but I was still surprised how much of a disconnect it was for me. I usually just use headphones on my PC. I guess I should check if my HD700's or Fidelio X2's give the same feeling. Would a dedicated DAC/AMP change this? I still haven't really broken in my Fostex's, so maybe that might affect the sound stage as well.

Dec 23, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #3,349 of 12,086
  Anyone use these to watch TV, Movies, or gaming from a TV a good few feet in front of you? Tried using them to watch a show, One Punch Man, through my Pioneer Elite's headphone port. Was surprised to find out that I didn't like how the sound didn't feel like it was coming from in front of me. Kind of took me aback. I mean, yeah they are headphones and they sit on your head, but I was still surprised how much of a disconnect it was for me. I usually just use headphones on my PC. I guess I should check if my HD700's or Fidelio X2's give the same feeling. Would a dedicated DAC/AMP change this? I still haven't really broken in my Fostex's, so maybe that might affect the sound stage as well.

I thought they did a very nice job with movies. I use a yamaha receiver so I get the silent cinema thing, these suckers do a very nice job of imaging the simulated surround sound for me.

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #3,350 of 12,086
How about modding X00 wooden cup with more gap is possible to convert into an open headphone?

The drivers aren't designed to be open, and based on people who have tried this with other models in the lineup, they start sounding very shrill if you try to do this. I've honestly never seen a mod changing an open headphone to closed or closed to open that worked out very well.  Usually those drivers are so specifically tuned that making the switch destroys it.

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #3,351 of 12,086

They are very far apart in terms of signature and performance but I find them to be wonderful compliments to each other. When I want complete neutrality, world class detail retrieval and massive soundstage, I listen to the HD 800. When I want fun and musicality (and that bass) it's the TH-X00. Oddly though I've found both are not nearly as forgiving with bad recordings than the LCD-2. I still prefer the LCD-2 for all my Jazz albums. TH-X00 is awesome with rock and electronic.

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #3,352 of 12,086
They leak quite a bit. I have them running 24/7 in a closed JVC dx1000 box at moderate volume and can listen to music 6 feet away. Will do the same experiment with my Lcd 2 to see if they really do isolate some

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #3,353 of 12,086
They leak quite a bit. I have them running 24/7 in a closed JVC dx1000 box at moderate volume and can listen to music 6 feet away. Will do the same experiment with my Lcd 2 to see if they really do isolate some

this is probably more to do with the drivers resonating the box from the ear end than "leaking" from the outside of the cups.  My office mate can't hear them when they're on my head from 4 feet away playing moderate volume.  But if I take them off, it's clear as day.  When these aren't on a head, the cups don't seal on each other like a lot of closed headphones, so just putting them in a box won't be the same as putting a headphone where the pads naturally seal on the opposite pad when off the head.

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #3,355 of 12,086
  Maybe I just need to burn them in then. The dialogue felt like it was coming to the left and right of me instead of front.

hmm, this sounds like more of an issue with mastering for stereo speakers than a headphone specific issue.  I think headphones need crossfeed or simulated surround for movies to really alleviate this issue.  But that would be the same issue on any headphone.

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #3,356 of 12,086

this is probably more to do with the drivers resonating the box from the ear end than "leaking" from the outside of the cups.  My office mate can't hear them when they're on my head from 4 feet away playing moderate volume.  But if I take them off, it's clear as day.  When these aren't on a head, the cups don't seal on each other like a lot of closed headphones, so just putting them in a box won't be the same as putting a headphone where the pads naturally seal on the opposite pad when off the head.

This I think is the case. When  I put them on my leg to simulate wearing them I can barely heard anything at moderate volume. Now, maybe one's "moderate" is another's "loud"?

Dec 23, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #3,359 of 12,086

Certainly a case of definition.  There is degrees in hell I tried the same with the LCD-2 and it was considerably worse. 

Listening to Also Sprach Zarathrustra intro the organ comes out way stronger then even the HD 800. 

Dec 23, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #3,360 of 12,086
  Hmmm, is that something the Grace m9xx would do?

Holographic Audio Ear One has a good crossfeed algorithm and have tons of current if needed. That said I think it´s just something you have to expect. Sure some headphones are better then others but they are all quite terrible in that department. 
I haven´t tried movies with this yet but though not the best it´s okay for gaming though not as wide as my CD 3K or LCD-2 not to mention something like the HD 800. That said I found the HD 800 wasn´t that much better in width to really make it closer to a speaker presentation so don´t bother just accept it :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back