Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 22, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #3,316 of 12,087
very creative! :)

Quote:

You can also braid the cable, and have a nice looking end result 
cool.gif

I took two feet off my cable by braiding:

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #3,317 of 12,087
Just got mine in NZ, didn't have to pay any duty which is strange, usually would be about $150 for 400USD. Was expecting them in another week or so! 

Early impressions are fantasic, look, sound and fit great. Personally I don't mind the cable, it's not too long and is great quality. Was afraid the earpads wouldn't be roomy enough but they seem to be fine.

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #3,318 of 12,087
I've been loving these at my office, and their performance at lower volumes. I'm really glad people that said these would have terrible leakage were wrong.

On a side note, I've been getting a lot of compliments and interest in these at work just from the mahogany cups. I even let a non-audiophile coworker try them out the other day, and he was floored. I noticed his computer later that day and he was checking out the Fostex website
wink.gif

No kidding on the sound leakage thing. The way people here were talking it sounded like they leaked like a hifiman can! At reasonable levels these guys could work in any environment, really. They don't isolate very well though, which is strange considering how impressed I am about their sound leakage.

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #3,319 of 12,087
I've been loving these at my office, and their performance at lower volumes. I'm really glad people that said these would have terrible leakage were wrong.

On a side note, I've been getting a lot of compliments and interest in these at work just from the mahogany cups. I even let a non-audiophile coworker try them out the other day, and he was floored. I noticed his computer later that day and he was checking out the Fostex website :wink:

Amazingly you would think Fostex will sell more headphones which are not the Massdrop model, due to the close to 2000 sold being "promotional models".

There is also a good chance Massdrop could do another run with Fostex if the buyers are there?

Strange that the TH-X00 was not only the best looking Fostex, but also the one with the lowest retail price.

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #3,321 of 12,087
Anyone having a compatibility issue with the Questyle QP1R? My TH-X00s sound bass thin, wimped out and anemic . The QPR1 appears to struggle to drive them, sounding thread bare. Perhaps it's a impedance load issue. The phones may require a real dedicated desktop amp to flesh them out.

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #3,322 of 12,087
No compatibility issues with the QP1R and TH-X00 combination at all. Amazing sounding music is all I and others who have experienced the combination hear.

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #3,323 of 12,087
You can also braid the cable, and have a nice looking end result :cool:
I took two feet off my cable by braiding:

Pretty darn clever, esp for desktop use.

Wrapping the cable is better though in most instances, I imagine, for when you want the flexibility.

Anyway... Funny story about the TH-X00's grandpappy, Denon D2000s: In 2010, I wanted my second pair of high-end (to me), sealed headphones.

I narrowed it down to the D2000 and the an Ultrasone model,the HFI-780. I went with the Ultrasones because they sealed better and were $55 cheaper. That was a terrible mistake! I hated the Ultrasones. If I bought the Denons (which we learned later were all built by Fostex, I'd probably still have them today. At the very least, I could sell then for more than their original cost, 5 years later.

Lesson learned.

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #3,326 of 12,087
Amazingly you would think Fostex will sell more headphones which are not the Massdrop model, due to the close to 2000 sold being "promotional models".

There is also a good chance Massdrop could do another run with Fostex if the buyers are there?

Strange that the TH-X00 was not only the best looking Fostex, but also the one with the lowest retail price.

If they are smart they will definitely do more runs. This co-worker seemed a little annoyed when I explained the whole limited massdrop thing. He didn't understand why he couldn't just go online and order a pair. Considering the mostly positive response of owners, including a glowing review from The Verge, these could be a huge seller for Fostex.

Dec 23, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #3,327 of 12,087
If they are smart they will definitely do more runs. This co-worker seemed a little annoyed when I explained the whole limited massdrop thing. He didn't understand why he couldn't just go online and order a pair. Considering the mostly positive response of owners, including a glowing review from The Verge, these could be a huge seller for Fostex.

Next run probably in Feb. Already over 2600 people signed up for the next drop! Love mine.

Dec 23, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #3,329 of 12,087

I'm getting this for my PM3s:
http://www.waraudio.com.au/p/9050698/oyaide-p-35-srhp.html

Not bad at US$9 plus delivery. Love the right angle ones, too.

I dont believe that these jacks will work with the THX00 though, unless you planned on recabling the whole thing (diameter not big enough for fostex cable)

The cable is 5mm diameter. I thought it is thicker but then I measured it. The cotton sleeve is compressible a bit, so it should fit in Oyaide plugs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back