Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 14, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #2,776 of 12,089
HUGE shoutout to Massdrop. My headphones basically got stolen (says someone signed for them, but I never received them). Instead of waiting for UPS to finish their claim, they are sending me another pair. Talk about service. That is above and beyond!

+1

Couple months back my K7XX's right driver went out, and that was after one of the clear plastic hinges snapped. They first told me to contact AKG, but their warehouses in the US were under construction. To avoid the extra long wait, re-contacted Massdrop and they more than gladly helped me out as a result.

Dec 14, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #2,777 of 12,089
  HUGE shoutout to Massdrop. My headphones basically got stolen (says someone signed for them, but I never received them). Instead of waiting for UPS to finish their claim, they are sending me another pair. Talk about service. That is above and beyond!

Really glad it worked out in the end. And I thought couriers are safe.

Dec 14, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #2,778 of 12,089
Welcome to head-fi, and post whatever. We all love to communicate about this hobby
biggrin.gif
. I am surprised, as I have yet to see any nice series number as 999 or 1999 ? Common guys...I need to see it

Came close to meeting that request...997 here.

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #2,780 of 12,089
I just looked at the DHL tracking and my item is marked as "delivered" as per this morning! I'm still at work (3:20pm here in Sydney) and cannot wait to get home, hopefully this means they left the package on my front porch.

Did any other Australians receive their headphones?

Dec 15, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #2,782 of 12,089
Got them finally, first impression: OK. Bass is a bit muddied, mid/vocals seemed a bit recessed, treble sounded smooth, but lacks sparkles, sound stage is pretty good for a closed HP. Sound leaks a little bit, but not bad, I can use this in my office with out closing the door.

Bass lacks impact to me, definitely not lcd2 level. Definitely not end game or even close to it.

Dec 15, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #2,783 of 12,089
I guess the LCD-2 is just better value at sub-$1k. People kept saying these are better than D7k's which are $1k+ so expectations were raised from people that own cans in that price range.

I don't think the mids are recessed though, but like I said earlier itt, I would be surprised if I found the X00 much better than the HD650 or the SRH1540

Dec 15, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #2,784 of 12,089
  I just looked at the DHL tracking and my item is marked as "delivered" as per this morning! I'm still at work (3:20pm here in Sydney) and cannot wait to get home, hopefully this means they left the package on my front porch.

Did any other Australians receive their headphones?

Nothing yet for me in Melb.

Dec 15, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #2,786 of 12,089
Got them finally, first impression: OK. Bass is a bit muddied, mid/vocals seemed a bit recessed, treble sounded smooth, but lacks sparkles, sound stage is pretty good for a closed HP. Sound leaks a little bit, but not bad, I can use this in my office with out closing the door.

Bass lacks impact to me, definitely not lcd2 level. Definitely not end game or even close to it.

I still can't get over how amazing these headphones sound :beerchug:

Juxtaposition. Lol.

Dec 15, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #2,787 of 12,089
  I guess the LCD-2 is just better value at sub-$1k. People kept saying these are better than D7k's which are $1k+ so expectations were raised from people that own cans in that price range.

I don't think the mids are recessed though, but like I said earlier itt, I would be surprised if I found the X00 much better than the HD650 or the SRH1540

Maybe not recessed, but mids sounded dry if that's a word to describe it, I listen mostly to male/female vocals and it seems to lack some of the emotion.

Dec 15, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #2,788 of 12,089

You shouldn't try to compare price per performance open vs closed. Designing an open headphone comes with many fewer constraints than a closed headphone faces. More sonic tradeoffs need to be made in a sealed environment. Put your hands over your open headphones when listening to music and you'll see how quickly things change.

To my experience you'll always pay more for equivalent sonic performance from a closed headphone.

The TH-X00's aren't your reference by any means, not even close. But they're a great value in my opinion being a closed headphone at $400 that compares favorable with other closed headphones in the $1k+ category.

Dec 15, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #2,789 of 12,089
@ATau
 I'm really jealous right now! Looks like the post service of your neighbour isn't as good as in switzerland. Enjjoy your Fostex'/Denon!

Haha not sure what you mean by that? I am in Switzerland so I guess you mean the post service in my neighbourhood is better than in the rest of Switzerland?
Hmm... Well maybe it is! Then again, my direct neighboor is my postman so I guess it ought to be good :wink:

Dec 15, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #2,790 of 12,089
Just got home - and there they are serial #616, absolutely gorgeous pair!! Will post photos later for those interested in wood grain variations. I'm now listening - still just 5 mins in - but my first impressions are good. Listening to Hawkwind's Hurry On Sundown, the highs are nice and crisp, the harmonica is rendered excellently, and the bass is full bodied and impactful. Not quite the clarity of the HE-500 but these headphones are no slouch.

I find the headphones and the pads comfy enough - they seem to fit around my ears very well. I do have Brainwaves hybrid pads on the way, but at this point I'm not sure if I would replace it, especially if the sound would be impacted negatively.

A big kudos to Massdrop and DHL to deliver this to Sydney so quickly!! I really didn't expect to get these before xmas.

Audio chain that I'm using this with at the moment: NAD C542 CD player -> North Star Design Essensio DAC -> Meier Audio Corda Classic -> Headphone.

More to come later.

Users who are viewing this thread

• madi
Back