Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 14, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #2,716 of 12,086
Do any of you thx00 owners have a pair of dx1000, by chance? I would like a comparison if possible.
Thanks

I have a pair slightly modded though :)

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #2,717 of 12,086

Nice picture.
beerchug.gif

Dec 14, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #2,718 of 12,086
Anyone who got in on this drop and also the FAD Sonorous VI ... can you compare & contrast the two?

Wondering if they're more similar than different; if the latter, in what way? Thanx!

I had asked the same question earlier in the thread, but that was before the drop had ended, and therefore only a handful of people had even heard the TH-X00's yet.

Take my impressions with a grain of salt, as my TH-X00's only have a few (probably 3 at most) hours on them.  So far, I definitely prefer the FAD Sonorous VI's.  The mids and highs are better to me on the FAD's.  Vocals are too recessed for my liking on the TH-X00's; whether or not that will change with break-in, I cannot say.  I actually prefer the bass on the FAD's, as well.  Sure, there's more of it, with the TH-X00's, but I think that it's tighter and more satisfying on the FAD's.  It's a little boomy and overbearing on the TH-X00's, at least so far.  I think that the bass is fantastic on the FAD's.

I'm hoping that the TH-X00's will improve with break-in.  I also wonder if different pads might help address what I've mentioned above, regarding the TH-X00's.

EDIT:  I'll try to add a picture of mine (serial #198, IIRC) later.  The wood looks great on mine.

Dec 14, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #2,719 of 12,086
Apparently it does improve with 24H break-in so you'll be in for a treat later on.

Still awaiting mine though.

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #2,720 of 12,086
As others answered for me, I'm the silly vegan who bought eggshell cans...

I had this notion they could sell me a set with vegan pads... I've now been told the eggshell protein is used all over.

It doesn't sound like anyone else has tried to cancel... Or is looking to buy mine...

Silly vegan.

I appreciate vegans and am moving (very slowly) in that direction. Have you listed your th-x00 on the "for sale" forums here? They work well.

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #2,721 of 12,086
As others answered for me, I'm the silly vegan who bought eggshell cans...

I had this notion they could sell me a set with vegan pads... I've now been told the eggshell protein is used all over.

It doesn't sound like anyone else has tried to cancel... Or is looking to buy mine...

Silly vegan.

Hey mang. Audeze makes vegan pads that fit. Is the top band protein leather too?

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #2,722 of 12,086

Hey mang. Audeze makes vegan pads that fit. Is the top band protein leather too?

it certainly feels like the exact same material as the pads.  Though I can't find anywhere that specifically says so.

Dec 14, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #2,726 of 12,086

S/N 1801 checking in. Perhaps the last person in the US to recieve them.

First impressions vs my Q701's out of my Magni2/Modi2 stack.
These are far more detailed and prone to show noise on bad recordings, guitars sound way better. The mids are forwards vs the Q's, and the bass obviously is too. The highs are equally as detailed, but taper off much quicker; I don't see these triggering the tinnitus in my right ear.
The cord is nice to look at and touch, but is God awful at tangle management. Maybe most cords do this, or I'm just desensitized since my hand braided cable on the Q's never tangles at all.
The bass attack and decay is so fast it makes some songs feel like the tempo is faster.
Soundstage on the TH-X00's is about 50% the size of the AKG's but the center imaging is much improved, better than my SE215-Ltds.
Earp ads fit my ears nicely, very comfortable, but I can feel them starting to sweat, after about half an hour.
Sound sig overall is much more fun, I can see now why people call the 701/702 line clinical.
The vocals on Blue Foundation's "Eyes on fire" are amazing, listening to Daft Punk's RAM is going to be out of this world: the texture of Paul Williams' voice on "Touch" feels like you're holding onto his neck as he sings. Everything is very rich.

TL:DR these are a major step up from AKG's 701 line, I would wager including the 7XX. I'm really happy I bought these.

Dec 14, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #2,729 of 12,086
  Big shout out to the big homie Casper (@PETEREK) for the awesome job he did for me. Pictured you will see the detachable mod using HMC connectors, stock cable re-terminated, and a custom adapter so that I may use my Boompro for gaming.

Feel free to contact him through his website https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheAudMod if you'd like a similar mod on yours. Dude is as awesome possum. Also, a link to some of his other work in the community...

How much did having him mod those connectors cost you?

Dec 14, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #2,730 of 12,086
  Big shout out to the big homie Casper (@PETEREK) for the awesome job he did for me. Pictured you will see the detachable mod using HMC connectors, stock cable re-terminated, and a custom adapter so that I may use my Boompro for gaming.

Wow, those look good! And, that was a quick turnaround.

Thanks for passing along the contact info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back