Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 2, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #1,156 of 12,086
Oh bavinck and fjrabon, also don't forget about Koss, Shure, Grado, Ultimate Ears, Westone, Jerry Harvey, Alclair and Etymotic - to name a few others from the USA.

And, don't forget, we have a huge chunk of the amp & DAC market on lockdown, too.

Dec 2, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #1,158 of 12,086

Ship these babies out, Will! Y'all gots my money.

Starting to think this "early shipping" is just wishful thinking on our part. I think that if MD had any intention of early shipping that they would have chimed in by now. Oh well, shipping on the 10th should put them on my doorstep by Monday the 14th, maybe. 

Dec 2, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #1,159 of 12,086
Oh @bavinck and @fjrabon, also don't forget about Koss, Shure, Grado, Ultimate Ears, Westone, Jerry Harvey, Alclair and Etymotic - to name a few others from the USA.

And, don't forget, we have a huge chunk of the amp & DAC market on lockdown, too.

LOL, I did not mean to assault your domestic loyalty:) I hope my USA brothers continue to work hard at producing better and better audio equipment for us Canadians to buy. However, right now I think Asian companies are doing the most exciting work - but you guys are doing good work too:)

Dec 2, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #1,160 of 12,086
Starting to think this "early shipping" is just wishful thinking on our part. I think that if MD had any intention of early shipping that they would have chimed in by now. Oh well, shipping on the 10th should put them on my doorstep by Monday the 14th, maybe. 

My guess is we get an update around 7PM Eastern time, based on communications from them in the past. I'd guess they'll ship out first thing tomorrow. Yesterday was the "sorting out payment" day, today the "organizing shipment" day, tomorrow the "put em on the truck" day. There was a 3 day buffer between drop end and ship date originally. So that's about what I expect. Massdrop is a west coast company, with an east coast warehouse. My guess is the warehouse people will update the headquarters on progress around 5 PM eastern and then headquarters will make a status announcement right before they leave around 7-9 PM eastern.

Dec 2, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #1,161 of 12,086
Oh bavinck and fjrabon, also don't forget about Koss, Shure, Grado, Ultimate Ears, Westone, Jerry Harvey, Alclair and Etymotic - to name a few others from the USA.

shure and koss are American companies, sure. Their headphones aren't made in America (as somebody who owns headphones from both companies).

Dec 2, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #1,162 of 12,086

Oh @bavinck and @fjrabon, also don't forget about Koss, Shure, Grado, Ultimate Ears, Westone, Jerry Harvey, Alclair and Etymotic - to name a few others from the USA.

LOL, I did not mean to assault your domestic loyalty:) I hope my USA brothers continue to work hard at producing better and better audio equipment for us Canadians to buy. However, right now I think Asian companies are doing the most exciting work - but you guys are doing good work too:)

I've always had preference towards European Hi-Fi gear. I think it mixes brilliant engineering with great sound. Firms like Sennheiser, Chord, Meridian, Focal, Hegel, Electrocompaniet, Dali, Sonus Faber, Pathos etc. are all amazing. Sennheiser headphones have superb quality control, for instance. I like that about them. I just wish Europeans also started to make some planar magnetic headphones.

Dec 2, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #1,163 of 12,086
My guess is we get an update around 7PM Eastern time, based on communications from them in the past. I'd guess they'll ship out first thing tomorrow. Yesterday was the "sorting out payment" day, today the "organizing shipment" day, tomorrow the "put em on the truck" day. There was a 3 day buffer between drop end and ship date originally. So that's about what I expect. Massdrop is a west coast company, with an east coast warehouse. My guess is the warehouse people will update the headquarters on progress around 5 PM eastern and then headquarters will make a status announcement right before they leave around 7-9 PM eastern.

I would be really happy if they can be shipped out tomorrow, then we will start to receive our units early next week. 
gs1000.gif

Dec 2, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #1,164 of 12,086
I'd expect an update in the next 5-10 mins!

edit: lol, it was for another drop I had totally forgotten about, nevermind.  Christmas gift for a friend from like 3 weeks ago, not the THX00.  But perhaps it is good news, as maybe it means they're doing a round of status updates for all recent drops now.

Dec 2, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #1,165 of 12,086

I would be really happy if they can be shipped out tomorrow, then we will start to receive our units early next week. 
gs1000.gif

If you really are in Van or TO, I think you might be a little disappointed. Took almost 2 weeks for DHL to get my 7XX's to Calgary once shipped (with no help from customs of course) If i remember correctly. Think us Canucks will be lucky to see them before that.

Dec 2, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #1,166 of 12,086

If you really are in Van or TO, I think you might be a little disappointed. Took almost 2 weeks for DHL to get my 7XX's to Calgary once shipped (with no help from customs of course) If i remember correctly. Think us Canucks will be lucky to see them before that.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, 

It was quite quick last time when I was still located at Toronto, maybe it was because Toronto is closer to the warehouse. =(

Dec 2, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #1,168 of 12,086

Haha, you didn't. I could care less where the headphone is made. All I care about is what it sounds like. My main headphones are from China, Japan and Germany. I was just pointing out that there is a lot going on in the US headphone industry.

Dec 2, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #1,169 of 12,086
So, a little more digging. The bio-dyna from fostex nowadays is not so much in anyways similar to Sony R10 ?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595683/fostex-th900-impressions-discussion-thread/570#post_8365071

They are more like woven fibers ? Or plant cellulose, which is called bio-cellulose as well. From fostex we see bio-cellulose fibers diaphragm.

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/TH-900.shtml

So these are definitely plant cellulose. It could be cotton woven into a diaphragms, which is worlds apart from "microbial-cellulose" material. I knew the only one that existed was the R10, and I think Sony own this technology.

Also, I do think MDR-R10 has a very similar graph and respond to MDR-SA5000

Sorry to get a little of topic regarding driver technologies. I just want to make sure and clarify that fostex bio-dyna is nothing resemble of Sony Bio-cell diaphragms or microbial cellulose

You forgot about the Sony MDR-CD3000, MDR-CD1700, MDR-CD2000, and even the MDR-E888. They all used the same bio-cellulose diaphragm technology.

If you had Sony and Denon headphones from the mid to late 80's, you would have noticed that both line-ups looked stupidly similar. I suspect they were OEM by Foster already then, so I'm not surprised if this technology was actually developed by Foster, and they continued the evolution.

Dec 2, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #1,170 of 12,086

this is a VERY different headphone than your K7XX.  The K7XX is more about soundstage, the THX00 is powerful balanced bass with a smooth FR that isn't overly exaggerated.  Also, you don't really have the option of "grabbing" this to upgrade until somebody decides to sell theirs.  They won't be available on Massdrop again until probably late February or March.  

I think this would make a good compliment to your K7XX.  Grabbing the K7XX when you want analytical with huge soundstage, grabbing the THX00 when you want more bass power with smoothness.  I think the THX00 looks like a better headphone than the K7XX, without being a clear "upgrade".  It's difficult to get full powerful bass in a dynamic headphone while maintaining resolution, smooth linearity and resolution.  According to all reviews they managed to do with the the THX00, making it a rarity.  The K7XX is an incredibly detailed headphone with great soundstage, but there are a fairly decent group of choices that do the same in the price range, give or take $100 or so.  I'd say the K7XX is a very good deal.  The THX00 is a stupefying deal, if the claims about it from early reviews are true.  

Amp/DAC wise is impossible to say without knowing what you would be upgrading from.  

Also, since the ability to even buy at THX00 if you wanted to is about 3 months away, maybe get a DAC/Amp combo now and save for the next round THX00 drop, at which point you'll have the ability of seeing a lot more reviews on the THX00.

Ahh, right now, I'm using my K7xx on my desktop with the onboard sound from the Asus motherboard. Besides that I only got my phone (G4) and the Fiio X1. I'm looking to maybe get a Oppo HA-2 or the Fiio E18 since I got some extra money being "forced" to work over thanksgiving weekend. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back