Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Nov 29, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #781 of 12,086
Nov 29, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #782 of 12,086
  Maybe this should have been broken into two drops instead of one, first being limited to 1000, and the the second 950 to be follow immediately after the first drop sold out.  This way you can get the HPs out to more people for additional impressions, that would sure to continue to power the hype train, unless of course the product is no good-da, but I doubt that's the case here.

I hope there will be future drops. I managed to resist the temptation to buy one. $400 is a LOT for me. My previous most expensive headphones were 105 euro, which were in turn a big jump from the ones before that (70 euro).

BTW, how much would the cost  have been without the mahogony cups?  The smallish size of the pads also worries me.
I I would have preferred bigger cups like in the DT770.

Oh, and WillBright, a request for a JVC SZ2000 drop for us bassheads, or just tell JVC to sell these outside of Japan 
redface.gif

Nov 29, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #783 of 12,086
  Well, I'm in hoping for a nice upgrade to my work rig currently consisting of SONY MDR-1A + AUNE X1s.
I like the MDR-1A but find the sub bass a bit lacking and the mid bass a bit boomy coloring the lower mids.
It came down to these or the Beyerdynamic 1770, hope I made the right choice (with customs + Swedish VAT, price should be roughly the same).

1st post on Head-Fi, 1st experience with Massdrop and 1st Fostex headphones for me :)

It really depends on your need for isolation.   If you want to keep noise out, you probably made the wrong choice.  

And welcome to Head-Fi.

Nov 29, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #785 of 12,086

I hope there will be future drops. I managed to resist the temptation to buy one. $400 is a LOT for me. My previous most expensive headphones were 105 euro, which were in turn a big jump from the ones before that (70 euro).

BTW, how much would the cost  have been without the mahogony cups?  The smallish size of the pads also worries me.
I I would have preferred bigger cups like in the DT770.

Oh, and WillBright, a request for a JVC SZ2000 drop for us bassheads, or just tell JVC to sell these outside of Japan 
redface.gif

I don't think  you have anything to worry about, there will be those of us who find TH-X00 unsuitable and will be selling them.  Just be on the look out for the classified ads.

Nov 29, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #786 of 12,086
  Congrats on the first post, and let me be the first to say: Welcome to head-fi and I'm sorry for your wallet
:)

Thanks! Yes, my wallet is trembling worse and worse for every visit :wink:

It really depends on your need for isolation.   If you want to keep noise out, you probably made the wrong choice.  

And welcome to Head-Fi.

Thank you, isolation is not that much of an issue. My collegues are also deep down in headphone heaven most of the time.

Nov 29, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #791 of 12,086
If anyone needs Audeze vegan or Brainwavz pads for the TH-X00, ping me! I'll cut you a nice deal.

Wow, I didn't actually expect an instant multi-person PM war. Not gonna start a bidding war though, so I sent the first offer a thumbs up.

Here's a pic of how the Audeze pads fit on the TH-X00 for those who are curious.

You push in the pads and twist counter-clockwise to unlock the white ring, swap the pads, then twist it back on. Super easy.

YZW6sri7oSqT-HWXptkh-iXWPX6LMRnPN-uhAhFlSIS5GIn6TGAQy_PonBgTWZ-4lpjLb_Q2A3ZquP7kOoD4PHXGoU4IcD02jAMp31mr_gdlB6QgxWwHAXMMUrcq7W0nxvTmlvFbq_FzgoqaboFTxfmM5gPwYsddpKwBGfRIHtM6Kj0b_6c8obE61HcMhIxfZsckXw8EJv-0OvjENKbsR7X52QSlTyIM0yIwIzF11u0hL1ccowPSyJdk9Dw-pavaHGiMCUp1pvhN1N7FJ9nJjUa2Hdahy545i6kEBTclYdODkTCNxqzCeHd0HPwg2ogBcDxHfpqmaRqeeuqOHE8sXx_eLTYDWU-Xr7U0TQ8bgTAE9-YbP8kWbE939fQ7FRIlfb0skeArLqW9PWOy1_Z1cy5qELUgAaEqPOs1PHKefHmVSUEpRt5em8WD2hTWzuVPKkxecJ7YH8AF-5WQGLSLJ6Hq9clIX3spjC3kLZHDWNltkRdEKk-oK1l_uZfIegrjT-pLLqcdN6AgSx3hnztxHtS3tL_vy6v5xiuTD4nuwKdS=w538-h955-no

Nov 29, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #794 of 12,086
I just finished up selling my Th-900 to another member of the head-fi community. I loved the 900's but I really wanted to repurchase a HD650 or Fidelio X2 but didn't have the extra cash to do so at this time. I made the sacrificed and sold the 900's and took the money and joined the drop here and will place an order for the next HD650 sale in the future. I know that there will be a slight downgrade from the 900's to the x00's but I'm hoping its not too substantial. My main hope is that because of the slightly less bright treble it will be similar enough without the fatigue that I won't miss them.

Either way, get some more on the hype train. Get these things sold out so they can ship already!!

Nov 29, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #795 of 12,086
  I just finished up selling my Th-900 to another member of the head-fi community. I loved the 900's but I really wanted to repurchase a HD650 or Fidelio X2 but didn't have the extra cash to do so at this time. I made the sacrificed and sold the 900's and took the money and joined the drop here and will place an order for the next HD650 sale in the future. I know that there will be a slight downgrade from the 900's to the x00's but I'm hoping its not too substantial. My main hope is that because of the slightly less bright treble it will be similar enough without the fatigue that I won't miss them.

Either way, get some more on the hype train. Get these things sold out so they can ship already!!

Who knows, you (or anyone else that has listened to both) may actually wind up preferring the TH-X00 over the TH-900. 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back