Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Nov 27, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #586 of 12,086
Really at a lost on whether I should gamble on these or the 400i on sale right now. Jude earlier said that he preferred the 650's which is kind of alarming since the 400i's are more in line with those. What's problematic about Fostex is that their headphones can a be a bit bright and fatiguing. If I don't care about bass and mainly listen to instrumental stuff, should I even bother with these? The 400i's supposedly have a limited soundstage as well so I'm wondering if a semi/closed can like the TH-X00 can outmatch it.

Same boat. Was also thinking about the HE400i.

If you don't care about bass meaning you don't care for bass (slight to elevated bass), then the TH-X00 may not be the most optimal fit for you, especially since the bass is an integral facet of the overall sound signature. Instrumental and even acapella sounds excellent with the TH-X00 especially when paired with a exceeding clean source such as the QP1R, in my opinion.

Nov 27, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #587 of 12,086
  Everything that's used to drive the headphone has an amp section-- rather's it's part of your iPhone or it's a pair of discrete 10 watt monoblocks.

From my experience, even the most basic of headphones changed their sound for the better when running off more refined equipment, so I've no doubt that the THX00 can sound better as well off of better equipment.  Moedawg is perhaps commentating on the THX00's efficiency.

Got it, I was stupid to not think of that considering there's no other way a headphone could get power if the device didn't have one. Thanks for educating me!

Nov 27, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #588 of 12,086
Thanks for the input. Overall I mainly care about which headphone gives out the best sound when it comes to instrumental stuff. I know it's subjective but taking into account soundstage, detail, and bass would you say that the TH-X00 provides a better experience than the 400i's? 

Nov 27, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #589 of 12,086
  Thanks for the input. Overall I mainly care about which headphone gives out the best sound when it comes to instrumental stuff. I know it's subjective but taking into account soundstage, detail, and bass would you say that the TH-X00 provides a better experience than the 400i's? 

400i are open headphones so they will probably have bigger soundstage.   TH-X00 will give better experience with Bass.  

Nov 27, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #590 of 12,086
If you don't care about bass meaning you don't care for bass (slight to elevated bass), then the TH-X00 may not be the most optimal fit for you, especially since the bass is an integral facet of the overall sound signature. Instrumental and even acapella sounds excellent with the TH-X00 especially when paired with a exceeding clean source such as the QP1R, in my opinion.

Well I already own a pair of D5K but don't have a single magnetic planar pair... so... yeah. I can get the HE400i locally for 310 USD. 

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #592 of 12,086
Well I already own a pair of D5K but don't have a single magnetic planar pair... so... yeah. I can get the HE400i locally for 310 USD. 

Cool. Enjoy your HE400i.

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #594 of 12,086
Hm. Sadly I'm a sucker for the massdrop stuff. Lol. 

So why mention the HE400i's price then? Just kidding. Well, if you choose to purchase the TH-X00 one way or another, congratulations in advance.

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #595 of 12,086
Just last year I purchased my most expensive headphones: about 70 euro shipped.
Then last month, I happened to get in on a flash sale at amazon and got the DT770 pro for 105 euro shipped. I though "man these are expensive, but I've had these in my eyes for a couple of years".
Now, I'm tempted to get the TH-X00 and ship it to an acquaintance in the US. For about 400 euro.
I don't like this. I don't like this.

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #596 of 12,086
So why mention the HE400i's price then? Just kidding. Well, if you choose to purchase the TH-X00 one way or another, congratulations in advance.

Hahaha Thanks? honestly, I can see myself buying the THX00 either way. Even if I don't get it this drop, I'm sure I'm going to get them eventually. Same goes for the K7XX. I should say that what I'm actually trying to figure out here right now is whether I should buy the TH-X00 now, or later over the HE400i. 

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #598 of 12,086
Pulled the trigger on the X00 tonight, very interested to see how they compare to my old D5k.  Also, dem cups...simply gorgeous.

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #599 of 12,086
I was really considering the HE-400i as well, it will probably jump up to $500 again and I have yet to hear a planar magnetic phone so it interests me. That said, these TH-X00 are really getting hyped up with excellent reviews and comments on their sound. To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the wooden-cup looks (I really would like a TH-900 it looks amazing) but I'm picking the Fostex 'phones over the planars for a few reasons: I like strong bass, I like cans with minimal sound leakage (semi-closed vs planar super-open) and I got in the first 250 joiners for the drop :) 

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #600 of 12,086
This is my first Massdrop. I just couldn't pass on those cups. They're gorgeous. Jude is also one heck of a salesman
smily_headphones1.gif

Same for me.  Plus, I just knew if I passed on these, in a couple of weeks, you'd start to see hundreds of glowing reviews on here and that would drive me crazy :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back