Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jul 14, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #7,381 of 12,086
Well I got the Purple Hearts. It's a TAD bit disingenuous to at least not let the people know other woods were coming. They were kind enough to let me switch from the Mahogany to the Purple Heart for just the change in price.

I have always wanted ebony cans, but in the end I will not bother to own more than set of the same cans. I am not happy with no option to make a change but it does not make me too upset either, it just irritates me a little bit because what harm is there in 
putting out all your cards at once! All 3 different woods will sell just fine...

Jul 14, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #7,382 of 12,086
You do realize you're paying a $100 premium, then, to get 2 Ebony Ear cups?

IDK considering it's the SAME headphone other than the cups, I'm surprised many are so interested.

Paying $100 extra for ebony instead of Mahogany seems like a lot.

More perplexing... why people are going to buy the headphone multiple times for the different cups. You do realize you're essentially buying the same thing over and over again, but now paying hundreds of dollars more to get the different cups?

But hey, it's a really dense wood right.....

Jul 14, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #7,383 of 12,086

IDK considering it's the SAME headphone other than the cups, I'm surprised many are so interested.

More perplexing... why people are going to buy the headphone multiple times for the different cups. You do realize you're essentially buying the same thing over and over again, but now paying hundreds of dollars more to get the different cups?

And by the time you sell your first pair used plus shipping and fees you're paying a $200-$300 premium. So the Ebony now costed you $750.

Yikes. That got expensive.

Jul 14, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #7,384 of 12,086

Ebony is exotic and hard to source and one of the densest wood and very heavy hence it is more expensive than the other two wood types. Mahogany is relatively easy to source and cheap but hard to work with due to split and crack can be happen during drying process.

The question is how the sound changes by using more sense wood as earcup.

Love to hear from anyone who had ebony based headphone...

Jul 14, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #7,385 of 12,086

Disposable incomes, man. Disposable incomes... :D

Jul 14, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #7,386 of 12,086
What time do the Massdrops start? I am in the UK so trying to sort out what time I need to be sat at my PC! pmsl.

Jul 14, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #7,387 of 12,086

I guess one reason some would have is it's cheaper to buy the TH-X00 Ebony than just cup's....

http://www.lawtonaudio.com/type5woods.html

Personally I just want one X00, would be nice to try multiple cups though just to know what kind of sound differences there actually are between the different woods. Way too expensive a proposition though...I just choose the Purplehearts as an upgrade from the D2000's as I wanted a more refined bass-focused can that was a little more unique. Ebony would be interesting though...and really would be curious on Mexican Bocote or Indian Rosewood flavors, really like their look...

Of course the Lawton cups are larger and more differently shaped than the Fostex ones...

Jul 14, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #7,388 of 12,086
Ebony is exotic and hard to source and one of the densest wood and very heavy hence it is more expensive than the other two wood types. Mahogany is relatively easy to source and cheap but hard to work with due to split and crack can be happen during drying process.

I have an ebony based THX00 and wrote an extensive review a few pages back (which included other mods)

Jul 14, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #7,390 of 12,086

I have an ebony based THX00 and wrote an extensive review a few pages back (which included other mods)

My apology. I did not read any of last few pages and jumped in. Now I read and found Jude and Cee Tee's and well noted that ebony is refined version of original mahogany's. Somehow, I could not find your review. Do you mind sharing which pages it is on?

Jul 14, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #7,391 of 12,086
And the punch-line to that was you didn't hear much of a difference?

It was a subtle but noticeable difference. My thoughts were written well before Jude's and I found basically the same thing he did. There's better bass extension, less distortion and a smoother overall frequency response. And less ringing. It still sounds like a THX00, but a more refined version. With the partial Lawton mods it takes an additional step up as well in resolution and balance.

Jul 14, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #7,392 of 12,086
My apology. I did not read any of last few pages and jumped in. Now I read and found Jude and Cee Tee's and well noted that ebony is refined version of original mahogany's. Somehow, I could not find your review. Do you mind sharing which pages it is on?

478-479

Jul 14, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #7,394 of 12,086
At least for me there is no penalty for shipping, just the cost in the wood differences. As I saidm I am not into the same headphone with multiple woods. 

To me its similar to the Omnis from ZMF I had a budget and Zach gives a great price for B-stock, so at the time Cherry was it, and Cherry it shall stay.

The same applies here. Given how I like my cans, the Purple Hearts will suit me better than the originals and the Ebony would suit me best for the amount of extra the difference would cost.
I have no disposable income of that amount for 2 sets of Cans. 
smily_headphones1.gif

My only complaint if you even want to call it that, is that MassDrop should have simple said it was coming out in different woods at different times. That makes a consumer choice vs. a marketing one...
I am more than sure I will be happy since I heard the originals at a Head-Fi meet. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back