Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
May 11, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #6,346 of 12,086
Some time after having joined the drop, I somewhat fear that the pads will be (way) too small for me.

Does anybody have a Shure SE440 as well as TH-X00 and can take a photo of both headphones next to each other so that one can see the pads?

I'd highly appreciate it. 
beerchug.gif

May 11, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #6,349 of 12,086
I've owned the X00 since the first drop and have been running off a colorfly C4, whilst i really like the x00 I've never been blown away by them.
Got a Chord Mojo at the weekend and wow am blown away by both.
Whilst I like the C4 i guess the synergy was just not right with the X00.

May 11, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #6,350 of 12,086
Anyone here felt the need to EQ their X00?Right now with my M50x,im using a V shaped EQ in foobar,to get the sound that i like.Otherwise,they sound pretty boring to me.I don't know if that will be the case with the X00's.I guess when i get them i will see for myself,just wondering if someone has done some EQ,and how would you go about it.

May 11, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #6,351 of 12,086
  Anyone here felt the need to EQ their X00?Right now with my M50x,im using a V shaped EQ in foobar,to get the sound that i like.Otherwise,they sound pretty boring to me.I don't know if that will be the case with the X00's.I guess when i get them i will see for myself,just wondering if someone has done some EQ,and how would you go about it.

You won't know how or even if you will want an EQ until after you have been using the X00 for at least a few days to allow your brain to adjust (brain burn-in).

May 11, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #6,352 of 12,086
If it helps any...

TH-600 --> Lawton Angle Pads --> TH-X00

The deformation on the top left of the angle pads is from my glasses, so you can tell which I use most :)

Another vouch here for Lawton pads. Did the Lawton Level 1 (pads and tune up kit) and by far the pads are much more comfortable to my ears than the stock TH-600. The sound changes a bit but to my ears it is welcome and the comfort out weighs anything else. I can wear these for a really long time now.

Would really like to try and compare vs stock TH-X00, been trying to buy them for a while now.

Edit: I have TH-600s

May 11, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #6,353 of 12,086
Another vouch here for Lawton pads. Did the Lawton Level 1 (pads and tune up kit) and by far the pads are much more comfortable to my ears than the stock TH-600. The sound changes a bit but to my ears it is welcome and the comfort out weighs anything else. I can wear these for a really long time now.

Would really like to try and compare vs stock TH-X00, been trying to buy them for a while now.

Edit: I have TH-600s

I can't justify the price though.

May 11, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #6,354 of 12,086
I can't justify the price though.

I can understand that. All I'll say is, If I had to do it again, I would absolutely get the pads after my experience with them. The material even feels better.

But it's very subjective so I don't want to suggest you get them, and then you don't like them. BUT if you won't blame me,... Then yes... get the Lawton.

May 12, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #6,357 of 12,086
I would at least wait until the warranty period has end before modding the detachable cable. 

May 12, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #6,358 of 12,086
  I would at least wait until the warranty period has end before modding the detachable cable. 

I did the detachable cables for my T1, DT-990 premium, TH-600 and also a friends T1 and TH-900 a few weeks after I got them.  I'm one of the few who likes the SMC connector so there is not much modding to do with the TH-600/900, really quick and easy.  The T1 and DT-900 took about 2 hours to do, need to use a dremel to make the holes large enough for the mini-XLR jacks or in the case of the DT-990 a whole new hole in the right housing.

May 12, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #6,359 of 12,086
I dont really have the tools to do the mod.If I really need it or I broke the cable accidentally, I would find someone do it for me lol. Really scare if I break it the first time

May 12, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #6,360 of 12,086
  I dont really have the tools to do the mod.If I really need it or I broke the cable accidentally, I would find someone do it for me lol. Really scare if I break it the first time

I can relate to this, first thing I did was get a good soldering station and practice on junk stuff just to learn how to apply the heat, flux and new solder.  Practice a little and you should have a lot of confidence to do other tasks.  My first big project was building a BH Crack, took me about 17 hours, did it as a project with my GF and drinking wine, one of the best nights of my life.

As for doing cable and other mods there is a thread just for mods, really helpful info there and if you ask questions many there will give you detailed help since they have done what you are trying to do.  I'm going to give a big thanks to @PETEREK, great source of info and help.

Another great project was building a SennGrado, great tool to learn how using dynamat, sorbothane and felt will affect the sound along with how pads also affect the sound.

I'm not one who is looking for upgrade so much as just the different sounds that DACs, amps and headphones can have so my choices might not be applicable to some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back