Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
May 10, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #6,318 of 12,086
Thanks, I'll give that a shot if the other cushion doesn't work. Is it a really snug fit? I don't want to risk mangling the headband.

I have always used on my D2k & will be fitting to the Fostex a Beyer DT headband cover as it's just held on with poppers. Does the job perfectly & is mucho comfy. Have a Lawton tune up kit, angle pads & a custom cable ready to fit. Excited much??? :D

May 10, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #6,319 of 12,086

Because if you add any halfway decent source, even a phone (digital out), the sound quality is untouchable at this price.  In review after review after review, from Headfonia, to Head-Fi, to Stereophile, no one can find much of anything bad to say about this product.  I have its bigger brother, the Hugo.  It travels with me everywhere with my TH-X00 in a road case.  

In fact, I liked the sound so much, I bought the TT for my desktop rig.

Using a computer or an AK source-- native DSD files through the Hugo, Mojo, and Hugo TT are overwhelming.  

If you want to improve your Mojo from there, you can add a Cavalli or ALO portable amp on the back end and punch up the quality a notch higher.  But the sound is very good out of this tiny little box, and the internal amp has plenty of power unless you're trying to drive an HE-6 or Abyss.  

There are better stand-alone amps, but if you're amping a mediocre source, you get mediocre sound.  

For the TH-X00 the Mojo and Hugo are magic combinations.  You don't have to take my word for it, do a quick Google and read what people are saying about the Mojo.  

Watch eBay, too, and Massdrop.  Deals pop up from time to time.

Agree. Mojo and TH-X00 travelled with me on my trip to Vegas. Now they are going to Peru this summer to visit Machu Pichu
smily_headphones1.gif
They are magic together. I dont think there is a better portable closed headphone + source/amp pairing (unless we're talking Ether C)

Years ago I thought I would have to bust my bank buying something like a Centrance Hi-fi M8 back when portable amping selections were limited. Mojo really killed the portable game and sent other manufacturers back to the drawing board when it comes to form factor and an unbeatable DAC under $1000 and maybe $1200 if the Schiit Gumby is the only thing that can better it near the price and we're talking about a desktop DAC with two massive transformers inside.

For redbook I prefer my Theta DAC from the 90s to the Chord Mojo, but with hi-res the Mojo gets all the play.

May 10, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #6,321 of 12,086
How does the Mojo compared to the M9XX when it comes to using the TH-X00's alone?

http://www.headfonia.com/review-the-grace-design-massdrop-m9xx/2/

I think this is what you are looking for. It compares the two also.

May 11, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #6,323 of 12,086
The treble is still sibilant. Not nearly as bad as the TH600 and not as spicy as the TH900. I did some mods to my THX00 (Removable cable). I found that taking off the pads and putting a cotton ball in front the drivers smoothed out the treble for me. Completely removed any sharpness. Try it.

Hey, just wanted to say your idea inspired me to try something similar with my HM5 pleather pads (non angled) and wow! Instead of putting the cotton behind the pads, I stuffed one that I thinned out inside of each pad. The painful sibilance those pads gave me in the past is gone! The highs are almost at the same level as the stock pads and focus returns to the mids and bass. Mids sound a little distorted though (might just be in my head), but its not a huge problem for my French house/DnB focused playlists. While I still like the stock sound a little better (probably because my ears are the most used to it) the HM5s with cotton is now a close second for me, with the added bonus of no ear pain that the stock usually gives after a few hours.

May 11, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #6,325 of 12,086
What kind of dac/amp should I get for these for ~$350 or less? My other headphone is HD650.

For ~$300 I really like the iFi Audio micro iCAN SE. Performs very well for the price point and above. A more resolute and potentially punchy presentation (using the XBass switches adds or lowers bass). My most recent impressions of the amp is in my HE350 review (the link to it is in my profile). Good luck.

May 11, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #6,326 of 12,086
What kind of dac/amp should I get for these for ~$350 or less? My other headphone is HD650.

For ~$300 I really like the iFi Audio micro iCAN SE. Performs very well for the price point and above. A more resolute and potentially punchy presentation (using the XBass switches adds or lowers bass). My most recent impressions of the amp is in my HE350 review (the link to it is in my profile). Good luck.

IMHO, even the standard iCan works extremely well with the HD650.
If you want some kick, you may try the Burson Lycan.

May 11, 2016 at 5:16 AM Post #6,327 of 12,086
Hey, just wanted to say your idea inspired me to try something similar with my HM5 pleather pads (non angled) and wow! Instead of putting the cotton behind the pads, I stuffed one that I thinned out inside of each pad. The painful sibilance those pads gave me in the past is gone! The highs are almost at the same level as the stock pads and focus returns to the mids and bass. Mids sound a little distorted though (might just be in my head), but its not a huge problem for my French house/DnB focused playlists. While I still like the stock sound a little better (probably because my ears are the most used to it) the HM5s with cotton is now a close second for me, with the added bonus of no ear pain that the stock usually gives after a few hours.

Awesome! I'm glad it helped.

I'm thinking of grabbing MrSpeaker Ether C pads.

May 11, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #6,328 of 12,086
Is the Fostex X00 pads really problematic? Whats its major problem? Too little area for fitting larger sizes ears? Or too hot for wearing? Ears touching the headphone driver?

May 11, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #6,329 of 12,086
  Is the Fostex X00 pads really problematic? Whats its major problem? Too little area for fitting larger sizes ears? Or too hot for wearing? Ears touching the headphone driver?

I just got mine 2 days ago so I'm not super experience with it or anything and doesn't have it long enough to be annoyed by the pads.

so far it is not a problem for me, my ear is of average size and fit the hp without touching the driver or the pads, with that said it is a comfy fit, so if your ears is a lot bigger than mine it will certainly touch the pads and you will be annoyed by it.

it is a bit warm, but not warm enough to cause discomfort for me.

I think most people will not find this a problem unless they have used a super comfortable headphone like hd800 or maybe the ether/ether C or they have a huge ears.

May 11, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #6,330 of 12,086
^ I have the problem of ears touching the drive on my ATH-AD1000X. But  looking at the thickness of the pads on the TH-X00 with my average size ears, I think they should not be a problem for me. However my major concern is sweat and heat buildup after long sections of wearing. In the summer it can get up to 38 °C. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back