Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Apr 17, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #6,046 of 12,086

How are people coming to this more aggressive conclusion? I really think people are overplaying these differences. Changing pads changes the sound more than the cups.

"It does sound a bit different from the mahogany cups from the earlier runs. Hard to describe, but there was more of an obvious resonance play with the mahogany. The purpleheart seems tighter, yet at the same time smoother. Gone is the slight bit of treble sharpness the prior variant exhibited. However the tiny spotlit emphasis in the tape-hiss region is still present."

Really, the differences will be minimal, this is one guys measurements. Going by what he says they should be less aggressive -_- Some people are making it sound like they're going to be a different headphone.

Well, i'm with you. I don't think the outer shell will have that much of an impact. I simply shouldn't be and personally I don't want it to be.

However, the "official" notes about the frequency response certainly reads to another direction. That's the part confusing me. Also MD has been quite vague about what other tweaks may or may not have happened under the hood. I just do not want to risk it with almost $500

Apr 17, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #6,047 of 12,086
  " I would think they make the bass even more prominent"

Here is my experience searching for a pair of more comfortable ear pads: after trying two different kinds of HM5 and one pair of lamb skin Alpha pads, I went back to the original. The low end of the rumbles were (much) less prominent (with the velour HM 5 being the worst) than the factory pads.  YMMV.

Could be, I have only used the HM5 with the WS99 and they did seem to increase the bass. Now these are the angled leatherette pads so perhaps that is a contributing factor? I'm not sure as I really don't pad roll and only picked up the HM5 as they were strongly recommended to be used with the WS99 by a very passionate advocate for them who seems to really, like Whitigir, experiment and share his experiences.

Apr 18, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #6,048 of 12,086
So I purchased my x00's in the original MassDrop wave. I think they sound great, but I really want a set of cans with detachable cables and for that matter, a shorter length, so I can more easily take them traveling. I have a set of Ultrasone ED8's but I want a lower cost GOOD, closed, non-noise cancelling set that I can feel easier about tossing around and traveling with. I thought these X00's might be that, but they're far too fragile and the cable is just too long. Any other suggestions? I've been eyeing the Sony MDR-Z7's and it seems they can be had for marginally more than the X00's so it would almost be an even trade. Any other suggestions?

Apr 18, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #6,049 of 12,086
So I purchased my x00's in the original MassDrop wave. I think they sound great, but I really want a set of cans with detachable cables and for that matter, a shorter length, so I can more easily take them traveling. I have a set of Ultrasone ED8's but I want a lower cost GOOD, closed, non-noise cancelling set that I can feel easier about tossing around and traveling with. I thought these X00's might be that, but they're far too fragile and the cable is just too long. Any other suggestions? I've been eyeing the Sony MDR-Z7's and it seems they can be had for marginally more than the X00's so it would almost be an even trade. Any other suggestions?

Oppo PM-3. Excellent isolation, good looks, sound great. 

I had a pair, but would have kept them no question if I traveled more or used headphones on the go. Also I hear the new Audeze Sine is good too.

Apr 18, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #6,050 of 12,086

I had a pair, but would have kept them no question if I traveled more or used headphones on the go. Also I hear the new Audeze Sine is good too.

I agree on the PM-3. I auditioned a pair late last year for a week on the loaner program. When I travel internationally, the Bose Noise Cancelling are my goto. Nothing better on 14 hour flights. Traveling office to office, I really enjoyed the PM-3. They are relatively light, sound great, are easily driven from my HTC One M8 for Windows (although a FiiO e17 made them really open up), have the detachable cables you want, and come with a nice protective hard case. TH-X00 PH is on order for home and will look nice next to my HD-650 and 7xx's. I buy the right tool for the job, and the PM-3 is a great fit if you work from a backpack like I do. Hope this helps.

Apr 18, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #6,051 of 12,086

I would suggest you also consider either Bang and Olufsen H6 or Bowers and Wilkins P7. Both are less expensive than Z7 and have great sound quality. Personally I prefer the H6s.

Apr 18, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #6,052 of 12,086

I would consisider the Beyerdynamic dt-1350 too for your needs. No detachable cable, but it's a small on ear closed headphone with amazing isolation, great detail retrieval, and good extended bass. I have a pair and love them for travel and commuting, especially on planes. 80 ohm though, so you might want to consider a fiio e17 or something if you get them. Much better alternative to the sennheiser momentums if you ask me.

Apr 18, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #6,053 of 12,086

I can personally recommend the PM-3, the P7, and the MDR-Z7 as I own/have owned them all. The PM-3 is easily the most neutral of the bunch, but the P7 has a very rich, classy tone. The MDR-Z7 sounds absolutely massive. However, it's not sealed (there's a bass vent) so it bleeds sound out, and for the love of God are they ever gigantic.

Also consider the Sennheiser Momentum 2, and consider springing for the wireless version. Well built, great sound, handy features.

Apr 18, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #6,054 of 12,086

Don't buy Oppo PM-3, I had it, it's soo boring.

I recommend B&O H6 2nd Generation. I auditioned 1st gen and while it sounded very good, it was a bit bass light. 2nd generation has increased bass. It's also very easy to carry.

Apr 18, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #6,055 of 12,086

+1 for the PM3 as they are for certain a killer portable headphone that seems to tick the boxes for the OP. The Sine also seems to be as somebody else suggested another great option. Depending on sound signature the Sony MDR 1A is actually a pretty good option. The bass at loud volumes, or with bassy material can get loose, but overall it is a well done sound signature. I even liked the 1A's treble better than the Z7s treble and I owned both at the same time and used a PHA 3 with them. I like that the 1A is quite well made, looks great, and if I remember correctly also isolates well. Anyway, there are so many good portable choices these days.

Edit: what I don't remember is whether or not the 1A leaks sound out much? If so people must have hated sitting beside me on the bus as I did play music with them quite loud. The KEF M500 was actually the better headphone I found over the 1A and it certainly sealed well and apparently didn't leak much sound at all so that can be thrown in for consideration.

Apr 18, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #6,056 of 12,086

I recommend B&O H6 2nd Generation. I auditioned 1st gen and while it sounded very good, it was a bit bass light. 2nd generation has increased bass. It's also very easy to carry.

Not sure the PM3 is boring, but that is a personal thing, but yes they are treble rolled off. I moved from the PM3 driven balanced to the B&O H7 Bluetooth and I do prefer the H7 to the PM3 and it has more bass than the H6, but less than the H8. I don't think the H7 is suitable to be tossed around despite being well made I can't see it being a toss around headphone as the OP seems to want hence why I was suggesting something less expensive like the MDR 1A.

Apr 18, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #6,057 of 12,086
I've been listening to my TH-X00 at work a lot during the last few weeks, while my home rig (HD800) has been in storage.  Been loving the TH-X00..but once i hooked my HD800 up and listened to the same songs..no contest the HD800 blows the X00 out of the water in terms of sheer quality, basically everything outside of bass impact.

Much more detailed, textured, huge sound stage and separation.  TH-X00 is great, but dont forget the flagships are noticeably better

Apr 18, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #6,058 of 12,086

Not sure the PM3 is boring, but that is a personal thing, but yes they are treble rolled off. I moved from the PM3 driven balanced to the B&O H7 Bluetooth and I do prefer the H7 to the PM3 and it has more bass than the H6, but less than the H8. I don't think the H7 is suitable to be tossed around despite being well made I can't see it being a toss around headphone as the OP seems to want hence why I was suggesting something less expensive like the MDR 1A.

Well, I recommended the PM3's and honestly found them pretty boring as well. One of the reasons I kept my NAD HP50's over them, but a lot of that was the cost difference. 

With some EQ or a portable amp with a complementing signature, you could make them more lively. The technical prowess is there in the PM3's, no question in that.

Apr 18, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #6,059 of 12,086

H6 2nd gen has H7 level bass and it's not very expensive.

Apr 18, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #6,060 of 12,086
Mark me down as someone who found the PM-3s impressive but boring, and unfortunately I'm moving on.

I had originally been looking for a set of cans that I could use nightly while walking the dogs and for occasional air travel --- I really wanted to go the passive isolation route. I even splurged and got the HA-2, because I'd gathered that it was a potent combo.

It DOES sound good. But I found myself thinking "does it really sound '$700 good'?"...and at times I felt myself wanting a little more bass impact and excitement in the music. I have nothing but compliments for the build/quality/neutrality/etc...but at the end of the day, I found myself feeling that $700 was overkill for those uses UNLESS the signature was so great that it made me smile on every song. And that just wasn't happening.

So I'm actually looking at downgrading the investment into these (again, strictly for walking the dogs and occasional air travel). Currently I'm noodling this random list:

1. Thinksound On-1
  2. I-MEGO MAZE
  3. U-JAYS
  4. Beyerdynamic T-51i
  5. Audeze Sine
  6. Sony h.ear MDR-100AAP
  7. Sony MRD-1A

Users who are viewing this thread

Back