Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Feb 10, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #4,908 of 12,086
Feb 10, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #4,911 of 12,086
I had to sell some stuff on CL but I made it happened my only concern is the ear pad hole size won't be big enough for my ears but i'm sure it can't be worse then my cheap turtle beach headset.

Feb 10, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #4,913 of 12,086
Who also doesn't get tired of saying mahogany?
deadhorse.gif

Feb 10, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #4,914 of 12,086
Anyone listen to Rock on these beautiful cans?
My HE-400, while sounding extremely controlled, lack a bit of energy for rock.

How does this track sound on your X00?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ6A6GC_ki4

Thanks again, Kiss Hugg Hugg (XOO)

What do you mean by energy? Normally "too much energy" is the main criticism of the HE400i; that it's a bit too hyperactive and punchy. I'll say that I enjoy both cans very much with rock, with the HE400i being better with fast rock and the THX00 being better with heavy rock.

Feb 10, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #4,915 of 12,086
What do you mean by energy? Normally "too much energy" is the main criticism of the HE400i; that it's a bit too hyperactive and punchy. I'll say that I enjoy both cans very much with rock, with the HE400i being better with fast rock and the THX00 being better with heavy rock.

I can understand you read 400i as they are immensely popular and mentioned alot these days, but my original HE-400 (Rev2) lacks the 2-4khz energy needed to make rock come alive in my humble opinion. They sound really well controlled though, and Soundstage and separation leave little to be desired. I still enjoy them immensely on the track mentioned before, but they lack the bite needed for ultimate Rock pleasure. The HE-500 should be better for Rock right? This makes me wonder if the HE-500 gives the impression of a smaller soundstage compared to the HE-400 because of the HE-500's more upfront nature. 

Feb 10, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #4,916 of 12,086
Question:

Haven't heard much talking about isolation. I understand that the previous models th-600/900 don't isolate at all, the cups just kind of hang freely from your head, is this the case with the th-X00?

Ordered one for office use

Feb 10, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #4,917 of 12,086
Question:

Haven't heard much talking about isolation. I understand that the previous models th-600/900 don't isolate at all, the cups just kind of hang freely from your head, is this the case with the th-X00?

Ordered one for office use

It's not how the cups hang, it's that they have vented bass ports. That being said, unless you listen very loudly and/or have a completely silent office they don't leak sound out very much. But they do leak sound in.

For example my secretary, who sits 5 feet away, can't hear my music. But I can hear my phone ring and I can hear her if she says my name at medium/loud volume. I can't hear her type though.

Feb 10, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #4,918 of 12,086
It's not how the cups hang, it's that they have vented bass ports. That being said, unless you listen very loudly and/or have a completely silent office they don't leak sound out very much. But they do leak sound in.

For example my secretary, who sits 5 feet away, can't hear my music. But I can hear my phone ring and I can hear her if she says my name at medium/loud volume. I can't hear her type though.

lol you are pretty active on this thread, you sure you don't work for Massdrop or Fostex? :)

Feb 10, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #4,920 of 12,086
Unfortunately I don't contribute a lot to Head-fi.  I'm more of a consumer.  I feel compelled to chime in and state how much I love these headphones.  I haven't done a side by side comparison to all of my cans, and I have quite a few including Audeze LCD-2.2, AKG K-1000, Hifiman HE-500, Sennheiser HD-650, and Beyerdynamic DT-770 600 ohm with a balanced mod that I did.  My company recently moved to an open space office and I have been using the DT-770 with my Bottlehead Mainline in balanced mode and set to high impedance.  I like the Fostex a lot more.  They're less fatiguing with a richer and more enjoyable midrange.  I give a slight edge to the DT-770 on bass, but the Fostex also have plenty of bass.  The DT-770 while having very bright and crisp treble sound a bit thin compared to the Fostex.  Even though they aren't fully closed as people have stated, they're closed enough for an open space office and so far are my favorite sounding headphone for use in the office.  I HIGHLY recommend the Bottlehead Mainline with them.  The Fostex sound so good single ended on the Mainline, I don't have any urge to mod them with balanced cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back