Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Feb 9, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #4,893 of 12,086
I have been hearing wonderful things about the bass on these cans. Is the bass comparable to the he-400?

Bass on these are more powerful and rich. Bass in the 400i is faster and more detailed.
Edit: just saw you said he400, not 400i. Oops.

Feb 9, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #4,894 of 12,086
  I have been hearing wonderful things about the bass on these cans. Is the bass comparable to the he-400?

I have not had the HE-400 for almost a year now but from what I remember the He-400 bass was better (with the right amp H10). I will say IMO the TH-X00 is a better headphone over all,the bass may have slightly more definition and refinement on the planar but the mids, treble, comfort, and ease of ampping  go to the Th-X00.

Feb 9, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #4,895 of 12,086

The TH-X00 is like a less-refined Denon D2000, a bit forward and shouty for me. Might be the same headphone anyway, just all tweaked up.

Huh?

I compared a number of 'phones with my D2000 at the recent Philly meet, including and especially the TH-X00. My D2000 have the slightly older Dynamat Lawton DIY mod (they've since switched to a different damping material) and the old J$ pads. Both of these mods drastically improved the D2000 over the V-shaped, harsh and shouty stock sound. I love the low end of the D2000, and I hear details with them that have many people calling me a liar.

The TH-X00 in stock form was similar but better all around, without sacrificing anything. They were smoother, more luscious and spacious, without sacrificing any detail. They can be both analytical and fun simultaenously, just like a nicely tweaked AH-DX000. They were the ONLY headphone that I tried that I liked better than my D2000, with the Philips Fidelio X2 coming very close and only missing some of the Denon/Fostex low-end meatiness. Worth noting that I also tried the LCD-X and -XC as well at that meet, and while they were amazingly spacious and euphonic, they seemed to lack the revealing (and less forgiving) detail of the Denon/Fostex that I've valued for analytical listening. The Denon/Fostex is also more closed-in than the Audeze 'phones. This is a matter of taste and purpose, here. The Audeze are insanely enjoyable, but the Denon/Fostex seem more versatile, and better suited to my needs.

I'm struggling with the desire to sneak in to the Massdrop on this last day even though I can't technically afford it. They're simply a better version of what I already have. I don't NEED that. But man, it's a GOOD deal, that may not come around ever again... *wrings hands in indecision*

Feb 9, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #4,896 of 12,086

Huh?

I compared a number of 'phones with my D2000 at the recent Philly meet, including and especially the TH-X00. My D2000 have the slightly older Dynamat Lawton DIY mod (they've since switched to a different damping material) and the old J$ pads. Both of these mods drastically improved the D2000 over the V-shaped, harsh and shouty stock sound. I love the low end of the D2000, and I hear details with them that have many people calling me a liar.

The TH-X00 in stock form was similar but better all around, without sacrificing anything. They were smoother, more luscious and spacious, without sacrificing any detail. They can be both analytical and fun simultaenously, just like a nicely tweaked AH-DX000. They were the ONLY headphone that I tried that I liked better than my D2000, with the Philips Fidelio X2 coming very close and only missing some of the Denon/Fostex low-end meatiness. Worth noting that I also tried the LCD-X and -XC as well at that meet, and while they were amazingly spacious and euphonic, they seemed to lack the revealing (and less forgiving) detail of the Denon/Fostex that I've valued for analytical listening. The Denon/Fostex is also more closed-in than the Audeze 'phones. This is a matter of taste and purpose, here. The Audeze are insanely enjoyable, but the Denon/Fostex seem more versatile, and better suited to my needs.

I'm struggling with the desire to sneak in to the Massdrop on this last day even though I can't technically afford it. They're simply a better version of what I already have. I don't NEED that. But man, it's a GOOD deal, that may not come around ever again... *wrings hands in indecision*

they'll come around again, but it will probably be around November.  

I agree, while I completely respect the other person's opinion, I can't remotely fathom somebody hearing a stock D2000 and a THX00 and thinking the D2000 was better.  To me the THX00 is pretty close to my old D7000 or a Lawton modded D5000, not a D2000, in any configuration, but especially not stock (as his post seems to imply).

Feb 9, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #4,897 of 12,086

they'll come around again, but it will probably be around November.  

I agree, while I completely respect the other person's opinion, I can't remotely fathom somebody hearing a stock D2000 and a THX00 and thinking the D2000 was better.  To me the THX00 is pretty close to my old D7000 or a Lawton modded D5000, not a D2000, in any configuration, but especially not stock (as his post seems to imply).

I certainly hope that it'll drop again for the same price. I have other priorities right now, but oh man do I want a pair of these... :frowning2:

I also hope that I didn't com across as disrespectful in my response. It wasn't my intent. I just can't fathom how someone would find any form of the D2000 superior to the TH-X00, and I *LOVE* my D2000, which are considerably better than stock. I'm not being adversarial. I'm just confused. :p

Feb 9, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #4,899 of 12,086
I certainly hope that it'll drop again for the same price. I have other priorities right now, but oh man do I want a pair of these... :frowning2:

I also hope that I didn't com across as disrespectful in my response. It wasn't my intent. I just can't fathom how someone would find any form of the D2000 superior to the TH-X00, and I *LOVE* my D2000, which are considerably better than stock. I'm not being adversarial. I'm just confused. :p
check massdrops page, you have a few hours left until the thx00 drop ends so hurry. This drop is limited to 1900 units.

Feb 9, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #4,902 of 12,086
Has massdrop said anything about another drop in november?

Will said it would be longer than the break between the first and second drops. Didnt specifically say November but did indicate there'd be another but it would be significantly more than 4-5 months.

Feb 9, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #4,904 of 12,086
Joined the drop, really looking forward for them to arrive

The dac/amp I am currently using is Computer> (Optical cable)> Dr. Dacs DX from Audiotrak, I wonder do I need to save for an upgrade.
Cuz I notice the THX00 is relative easy to drive. Lower independence than the ATH-AD1000x that I am currently using. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back