Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 29, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #3,571 of 12,086
But should it vibrate like that neither the LCD 2, HD 800 or DX 1000 does it not any organ I heard irl. I have the 20-bit binaural recording with pasadena Symphony and jorge mester. First hit on Spotify was the same issue though if it was karajan or London Orchestra

Dec 29, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #3,572 of 12,086
But should it vibrate like that neither the LCD 2, HD 800 or DX 1000 does it not any organ I heard irl. I have the 20-bit binaural recording with pasadena Symphony and jorge mester. First hit on Spotify was the same issue though if it was karajan or London Orchestra

nah, that vibration is there, I can literally see it when I import the track into garage band.  You're literally hearing the sound pulse of a ~60Hz tone

we may not be talking about the same things though.  But I am hearing it as the exact same as I hear it out of reference quality speakers and subs with well tuned crossovers.

Dec 29, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #3,573 of 12,086
Give more time for burn in. You should burn in minimum 24 hours.

I bought them used, so they should have burned in.

I'm just chalking it down to me not liking the sound signature of Fostex more than anything.

Dec 29, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #3,574 of 12,086
what recording of AST?  There's like 30 bajillion different versions of greater and lesser sound quality.

The vienna philharmonic version on the official soundtrack sounds like garbage and *is* distorted.  The Berlin Philharmonic version 1993 Deutsche Grammophon sounds perfect.  I had jacked it to the sky to check for you and almost blew out my eardrums when the first horns hit, haha.  You can clearly hear the pipes actually vibrating clearly on that ultra low intro note.  

I would like to listen to the track you are referring but not sure this to find it. Is it on tidal? I like classical, but know virtually nothing about it.

Dec 29, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #3,575 of 12,086
Essentially any of the version on spotify but you can try the 95 Karajan version with berliner symphony orchestra.

It´s more controlled on the LCD-2

Dec 29, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #3,576 of 12,086
  I'll also add - the Velour HM5 pads are a REALLY bad match for the thx00. Destroys the bass and the treble is bad... shifts their balance very wrongly. Also sounds bad with my 900's. Maybe it's cause they are velour? I'm not sure.

Have to listen a little more with my TH900 pads, but I think stock TH600/TH900 pads are a very good option to change the sound signature a bit closer to those phones as others have suggested. 

Still, I think the stocks have a very nice/pleasing sound with these x00's and I find them comfortable too.

HM5 velours have eaten up bass on every single pair of headphones I've ever put them on. The leather HM5 pads are picky as well and don't match with about half of the headphones I've tried them on. Surprisingly the HM5 leather pads go extremely well (very tightly tho) on the HD598's. It bumps up the bass quite a bit and makes them more balanced overall.

Sorry for going off topic. 

I've tried other pads on my TH series headphones and nothing really seems to do any better than stock. I really need to look into getting some backup pads when these indefinitely end up going bad.

Dec 29, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #3,577 of 12,086
Essentially any of the version on spotify but you can try the 95 Karajan version with berliner symphony orchestra.

It´s more controlled on the LCD-2

don't know what to say, I hear it the same with every pair of headphones I have, it's certainly louder on the THX00 than anything else, and more noticeable, simply because the THX00 has louder bass, but I wouldn't say it's any less controlled than any other headphone I have.  If anything I can actually make out the vibration a bit more distinctly on the HE400i, as I think its bass is a bit more textured.  I don't have access to an LCD2 to compare, but I can compare it to a HD650 over the weekend.

But I definitely don't hear anything I would call "distortion" on any headphones I own, just variation of clarity and loudness, and if anything I would say the more clear the vibrations on the note are, the more correct they are, not the reverse.  

Dec 29, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #3,578 of 12,086

don't know what to say, I hear it the same with every pair of headphones I have, it's certainly louder on the THX00 than anything else, and more noticeable, simply because the THX00 has louder bass, but I wouldn't say it's any less controlled than any other headphone I have.  If anything I can actually make out the vibration a bit more distinctly on the HE400i, as I think its bass is a bit more textured.  I don't have access to an LCD2 to compare, but I can compare it to a HD650 over the weekend.

But I definitely don't hear anything I would call "distortion" on any headphones I own, just variation of clarity and loudness, and if anything I would say the more clear the vibrations on the note are, the more correct they are, not the reverse.  

Probably a dose of paranoia but yes it certainly have the most db there of any headphone I ever heard I believe which make it clearer..But yes don´t think it´s distortion should hear it otherwise as well if so I would think if something is getting loose. I think HD 800 may compete in db here but you don´t feel it´s bass the same way. 

However one thing I really need to do is get my SPL metre out so I can get an idea at what volume I listen to.

Dec 29, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #3,579 of 12,086
  Probably a dose of paranoia but yes it certainly have the most db there of any headphone I ever heard I believe which make it clearer..But yes don´t think it´s distortion should hear it otherwise as well if so I would think if something is getting loose. I think HD 800 may compete in db here but you don´t feel it´s bass the same way. 

However one thing I really need to do is get my SPL metre out so I can get an idea at what volume I listen to.

yeah, I know what you mean with the paranoia, that "oh no, did I break something?!?!?! OHNONNONONO" feeling, then you realize it's in the track you just never noticed it before.  Definitely experienced that before.  

Another one that gets me is when I think I somehow screwed my hearing up when engineers abruptly cut one mic off in a live recording and you get that sucked out feeling that's disorienting.  I've listened to the intro to So What by Miles Davis probably a thousand time, and every single time the cymbals "move" from right center to right, around 2 minutes in, it throws me off.  Still can't figure out what caused that to happen in the stereo recording.

Dec 29, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #3,580 of 12,086

I have not tried alpha pads so I cannot comment on that, but I agree with regard to the slam and slower decay of the bass with stock pads.

I really enjoy that slower, warm decay of the THx00 bass, almost like a bloom.

It adds warmth and body to my music, which combined with the smooth mids, makes for a very pleasing listen.

I do find these to be pretty intimate/closed sounding... different than the more spacious TH-900 but very enjoyable in its own right.

yea the alpha pads tighten up that decay a good bit an shove a little extra sub bass in there, but these are some what intimate, 

what recording of AST?  There's like 30 bajillion different versions of greater and lesser sound quality.

The vienna philharmonic version on the official soundtrack sounds like garbage and *is* distorted.  The Berlin Philharmonic version 1993 Deutsche Grammophon sounds perfect.  I had jacked it to the sky to check for you and almost blew out my eardrums when the first horns hit, haha.  You can clearly hear the pipes actually vibrating clearly on that ultra low intro note.  

ahhh love that label

yeah, I know what you mean with the paranoia, that "oh no, did I break something?!?!?! OHNONNONONO" feeling, then you realize it's in the track you just never noticed it before.  Definitely experienced that before.  

Another one that gets me is when I think I somehow screwed my hearing up when engineers abruptly cut one mic off in a live recording and you get that sucked out feeling that's disorienting.  I've listened to the intro to So What by Miles Davis probably a thousand time, and every single time the cymbals "move" from right center to right, around 2 minutes in, it throws me off.  Still can't figure out what caused that to happen in the stereo recording.

I had that happen to me yesterday, it wasn't my headphone but rather my amp [the PB2 is actually quite noisy out of it's SE jack]  -.- an in part the song 

Dec 29, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #3,581 of 12,086
My pair hasn´t changed whatsoever with burnin.
I wonder if you owners could listen to the Also sprach Zarathrustra intro? Can your X00 hold the organ note straight or do you get what sounds like distortion?

I am double on the bass boom. When not booming like crazy I guess they may add some pleasantless and warmth but when they go really booming it just sounds cheap and it does drown out the mid range some.

I am currently listening to my Trafomatic Audio Head One. They work well on this too. Similar signature as my solid states don´t really change much. I got virtually no hiss I may hear some but not sure :)

My recording of AST from the Berliner Philharmoniker sounds much better on my X00's than on my Q701's. On the Q's I've noticed that most things sound more rich and "real", specifically like Steve Perry, who sounds tinny on the 701 by comparison.

Dec 29, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #3,582 of 12,086
My recording of AST from the Berliner Philharmoniker sounds much better on my X00's than on my Q701's. On the Q's I've noticed that most things sound more rich and "real", specifically like Steve Perry, who sounds tinny on the 701 by comparison.

Do you mean it sound more rich on the X00? 

Dec 29, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #3,583 of 12,086
I would like to listen to the track you are referring but not sure this to find it. Is it on tidal? I like classical, but know virtually nothing about it.

yeah, it's on tidal:

Dec 29, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #3,584 of 12,086
Here is the cd I got http://newportclassic.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=150

Certainly sound better then the Spotify offerings :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back