Fostex TH900 vs Senn HD800
Sep 21, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #46 of 96
Well since it seems like you're going to EQ it anyways I would go with the HD800s. They sound great with just about anything. The TH900s have great bass that sounds great with music with a lot of bass but if your music preference is something else, you won't be enjoying it as much as you would. The two headphones are almost compliments, completely different from each other. You can think of the HD800s as very neutral sounding headphone (although not perfectly neutral). If you're familiar with the Denon ah-d7000, just think of that as the Th900s except the 900s are better in terms of bass and treble. Soundstage isn't too shabby either.

Sep 23, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #47 of 96
Do you guys think the HD800 would play nice with the Fostex HP-A8C?

Thinking of picking up the HP-A8C for my TH900's and also thinking of getting a pair of HD800's later on in the future.

Sep 24, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #48 of 96
  Do you guys think the HD800 would play nice with the Fostex HP-A8C?

Thinking of picking up the HP-A8C for my TH900's and also thinking of getting a pair of HD800's later on in the future.

No, you will need better headamp than the Foxtex.  I would run the HD800 in balanced and you should be set for a long time unless you start checking out the Stax-SR007 or SR009.

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #49 of 96
My experience with Senheiser is that...they are boring for my tastes.  They lack that emotional attachment I crave in my music.  They're not fun to listen to and when I listen to music I want the music to grab my attention and pull me in.  Senheiser headphones don't do that for me.

I have owned the Denon D7000 for years and they were an absolute joy to listen to any type of music.  They were also the most comfortable headphone I have ever owned. They are considered to be very similar to the TH900s.  I am going to be buying the TH900 in November, because I just love that sound signature and nothing comes close to it.

The Philips Fidelio X1 offers that too.  I have them now and they have quickly become one of my favorite headphones I have ever owned.  I would look into them as well.

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #50 of 96
My experience with Senheiser is that...they are boring for my tastes.  They lack that emotional attachment I crave in my music.  They're not fun to listen to and when I listen to music I want the music to grab my attention and pull me in.  Senheiser headphones don't do that for me.

I have owned the Denon D7000 for years and they were an absolute joy to listen to any type of music.  They were also the most comfortable headphone I have ever owned. They are considered to be very similar to the TH900s.  I am going to be buying the TH900 in November, because I just love that sound signature and nothing comes close to it.

The Philips Fidelio X1 offers that too.  I have them now and they have quickly become one of my favorite headphones I have ever owned.  I would look into them as well.

And this is why there are so many successful headphone models out there. I have completely different likes to you (I want to actively interact and push myself into the music, with as much neutrality and detail as possible, and with a large soundstage- I do not like the feeling of being pulled in)

Ultimately, remember that you are the listener. At this level of hardware, determining what is "better" or "worse" gets silly. Choose what fits you.

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #51 of 96
I had the HD 800 for thousands of hours but in the end I kept the TH-900 and sold the Sennheiser. On a technical level the HD 800 trumps all headphones I encountered (no idea about SR-007/009), not only due to its famous soundstage but also due to how it didn't flinch with the most complex music and seperated everything like a Russensäge. Never needed the Analixus mod (18xxx S/N) or let's say I found the tales of its brightness rather exaggerated.

I gave its technical abilities up for fun and euphony in the end, the very core of why I listen to music. The reference level is interesting and exciting to explore but it doesn't suit all genres and needs.

TH-900 always gives me a huge smile with its signature and it proved to be the better allrounder for all my needs. Music, Gaming, Movies. I can't comment on how much influence the wood cups have but I wish it was less expensive so more people could enjoy its beauty.

Oct 30, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #52 of 96

This is similar to my initial experience with Sennheiser HD 800 and HD 380 Pro. They can be unengaging with low toe tapping and goosebumps factor.

I discovered that this depends on the headphone amplifier. Given the right amplifier they are indeed engaging with good/high toe tapping and goosebumps factor. I haven't found out exactly what characteristics the amplifier must have to give this, but it isn't necessarily expensive. I have so far experienced it with AudioQuest DragonFly, Lynx Hilo, and EAR/Yoshino HP4. Grace Design m903 and Benchmark DAC1 HDR unfortunately is in the other camp.

I have a Denon AH-D7000 and like it very much with Grace Design m903. Quiet a few have reported Denon AH-Dx000 + Grace Design m90x as a good combination.

I consider Denon AH-D7000 a good allround headphone, especially if you are more about the music as a whole instead of the tiniest details. It does have details, but it doesn't necessarily shine a spot or flood light on them.

beyerdynamic T 1 is good as well. A Norwegian hi-fi magazine wrote that it's somewhere between Sennheiser HD 800 and Denon AH-D7000. They do have a point or two.

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #53 of 96
i honestly think its a stupid idea to compare a closed headphone to an open headphone. hd800 automatically wins on soundstage, the rest, like treble, or bass or mids, all depend on personal preference, for example, music choices and what the user likes in their sound. another huge factor is what is driving the headphone, the hd800 is not a headphone that is driven easily, and it does not ever act like one. the th900, on the other hand, sounds pretty good off any low level source. 

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #54 of 96

This is similar to my initial experience with Sennheiser HD 800 and HD 380 Pro. They can be unengaging with low toe tapping and goosebumps factor.

I discovered that this depends on the headphone amplifier. Given the right amplifier they are indeed engaging with good/high toe tapping and goosebumps factor. I haven't found out exactly what characteristics the amplifier must have to give this, but it isn't necessarily expensive. I have so far experienced it with AudioQuest DragonFly, Lynx Hilo, and EAR/Yoshino HP4. Grace Design m903 and Benchmark DAC1 HDR unfortunately is in the other camp

+1.

Oct 30, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #55 of 96

+1.

Yep. Driving both the TH900 and HD800 from my ZDSE (known to be a stellar pairing with both, btw)-I found the HD800 to be both more musical and more technical than the TH900. Easy choice for me to turn around and sell the Fostex at that point. :wink: I'm sure third_eye can relate with the Stratus/HD800 combo.

-Daniel

Nov 24, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #56 of 96
My experience with Senheiser is that...they are boring for my tastes. 

If and when you do buy the TH900 please post your thoughts here. I've had the D7000 for a while and just got a TH900 a few days ago. They are so close to each other I'm not yet sure if it's worth keeping both. I may look at a HD800 but am concerned the bass may be non existent for me (I run all my music out of vintage amps so have plenty of grunt).

Nov 25, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #57 of 96
If you prefer the TH900, you're going to find the HD-800s too thin-sounding for sure, especially in immediately comparison.

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #58 of 96
If you prefer the TH900, you're going to find the HD-800s too thin-sounding for sure, especially in immediately comparison.

That's what I was afraid of. I'm demoing a HD700 in a few weeks to get a sense of what an open Sennheiser sounds like.

Nov 25, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #59 of 96
   I'm sure third_eye can relate with the Stratus/HD800 combo.

Not choosing sides with regards to the headphones, but I read somewhere that the bloke who makes the Stratus, Donald, was so impressed with the Stratus-TH900 combo that he ended up buying a TH-900 for himself. Really wish I had the opportunity to try a Stratus for myself. From what I've read here and on other forums, it sounds like a true end-game amp that'll make any headphone sing.

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #60 of 96

Depends on the rest of the rig, as usual. In direct A/B on my ZDSE/DP1-I didn't think the HD800 was thinner at all. Just better really in most aspects, both technically and *gasp* musically. The TH900 is definitely the more euphonic/fun headphone-but isn't technically on the same page as the HD800. On most any other rig I've heard the Senn on-I might vote for the Fostex, as it is easier to please.

Not choosing sides with regards to the headphones, but I read somewhere that the bloke who makes the Stratus, Donald, was so impressed with the Stratus-TH900 combo that he ended up buying a TH-900 for himself. Really wish I had the opportunity to try a Stratus for myself. From what I've read here and on other forums, it sounds like a true end-game amp that'll make any headphone sing.

I'd wager Donald is impressed by a number of headphones  on the Stratus, and owns them as well. All I gleaned from that comment was that he probably hadn't heard the Fostex before (at least on his Stratus), and once he heard the synergy, he found another can to add to his stable. *shrugs*

-Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back