Fostex TH900 mods
Nov 12, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #182 of 343
I just found these replacement pads on AliExpress @$18. They also have that inner plastic disc plates besides the holder ring.

Anyone with the TH900 or something (full wide open pads) or who wants replacement for their broken stock pads... here you go:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Replacement-Ear-Pads-Cushion-for-Denon-AH-D2000-D5000-D7000-D-2000-5000-7000-Headphones/32664645187.html?spm=2114.30010308.3.11.JqegAl&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_2_10037_10033_10032_10077,searchweb201603_1&btsid=022896b2-72e6-4b4b-ac3f-44adb51acf22

For those who need a bit wider (space for the ear D2000) pads, here's the $30 ones: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ear-pads-replacement-cover-for-DENON-AH-D2000-AH-D5000-AH-D7000-Headphones-Original-earmuffes-headphone/32396208389.html?spm=2114.30010308.3.19.JqegAl&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_2_10037_10033_10032_10077,searchweb201603_1&btsid=022896b2-72e6-4b4b-ac3f-44adb51acf22

Good news is these have those disc plates too. I guess these may be better material or something, hence the higher price.

I think these are the best options for a cheaper, non-leather way out.

Nov 30, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #184 of 343
Just got the Lawton Mod. Very nice. I didn't put in the foam for now and will do later. Main thing I notice is tighter base and clearer mids. The only downside was the buying experience. Pretty terrible. The guy sent the package to the wrong address even though I told him where to send it. He then wanted $20 USD to fix his own mistake. Needless to say I won't be completing the mod with the cups. 

Dec 2, 2016 at 6:44 AM Post #186 of 343
I just wonder will the mods change the sound signature of th900?I am afraid it may influnce the
sound just too much...

It depends on which level of mods you do. None of the mods really changes the sound signature from V-shape to flat, but make it less to much less V-shaped. Since the bass also improves in depth, clarity/transparency, slam, stage, the midrange improves a lot, and the treble is tamed, the perception is that you take the original TH900 sound and elevate it to the next level. In comparison, the original TH900 sounds muffled and limited in extension. In other words, the original TH900 is a bit overdamped, and the mods cure that in various ways while keeping measurements sane.

Unfortunately it is not a simple journey. While it is a colored sound, it is so pleasant to listen to - I don't think I want to change my modded TH900 to anything yet (for a closed headphone).

An Ether C might be an alternative, albeit with less bass than the TH900.

The 500 Hz notch is still a problem after the mods, for that one needs to change the cups. I will experiment more on what cups would eliminate that. Notably, some of the Massdrop TX00 variants have much less notch at 500 Hz, that seems to be mainly attributable to the wood type they are using, since the rest of the stuff seems to be the same.

Dec 11, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #187 of 343
OK, so I just got my TH900 - and while I didn't fall in love at first listen, I am becoming addicted to their sound. My only problem - and it seems a common malady - are the recessed mids, especially coming from a pair of AKG K550s, which had *beautiful* mids. I'm considering the earpad mod, but I'm not the biggest fan of the pads full stop. I don't like the way it's angled - mainly comfort reasons. I'd prefer a flat alternative that ALSO brings the mids forward.

I've seen a few people say the HM5 pads fit pretty well and "improve" the sound. Does anyone have any experience with them, or any other flat pads that fit the TH900 that also make the mids less recessed, while retaining the awesome bass, treble and soundstage?

Dec 11, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #188 of 343
  OK, so I just got my TH900 - and while I didn't fall in love at first listen, I am becoming addicted to their sound. My only problem - and it seems a common malady - are the recessed mids, especially coming from a pair of AKG K550s, which had *beautiful* mids. I'm considering the earpad mod, but I'm not the biggest fan of the pads full stop. I don't like the way it's angled - mainly comfort reasons. I'd prefer a flat alternative that ALSO brings the mids forward.

I've seen a few people say the HM5 pads fit pretty well and "improve" the sound. Does anyone have any experience with them, or any other flat pads that fit the TH900 that also make the mids less recessed, while retaining the awesome bass, treble and soundstage?

Dont get the HM5 pads.. not perfect fit at all ,,

best pads for mids are fostex lowton pads , but they are angled ,,

Hifiman HE 400 , 400i pads are flat and fit very will ( exactly same original  diameter ),,
but i dont like flat pads.. i just tested it because i have HE400 :)

i think you better EQ it ,, you will get good results ..

Dec 11, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #189 of 343
I have got the Dekoni Audio sheep-leather pads for the TH900 (www.earpadz.com). They are of very high quality (same or better than Stax), much better than the originals, and they  will likely outlast the originals 3 times or more.

They are a bit higher that the original, and also a bit thicker and softer (with memory foam filling). As with the TX00 pads, the inner opening is a tiny bit bit smaller than the original. The sound has more mids and more even highs, bass is also more even and more controlled as well. They sound at least as good as the Brainwavz pads, but fit the TH900 better and are of much higher quality. I am pretty sure many people would like them when listening to classical or acoustic music rather than EDM.

The advantage can also be counted as disadvantage depending on that angle: they sound more even, but also less explosive as the originals. What they do better in turn is less notch around 500 Hz, similarly to the TX00 pads. All in all a nice way to experience a different sound from the TH900, and they are moddable, too...

Since I prefer the sound of my own modded pads and don't feel the need to go and mod them, if anyone in Europe is interested in getting my like-new Dekoni pads, PM me. I will list them on the sales forum soon.

Dec 11, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #190 of 343
  I have got the Dekoni Audio sheep-leather pads for the TH900 (www.earpadz.com). They are of very high quality (same or better than Stax), much better than the originals, and they  will likely outlast the originals 3 times or more.

They are a bit higher that the original, and also a bit thicker and softer (with memory foam filling). As with the TX00 pads, the inner opening is a tiny bit bit smaller than the original. The sound has more mids and more even highs, bass is also more even and more controlled as well. They sound at least as good as the Brainwavz pads, but fit the TH900 better and are of much higher quality. I am pretty sure many people would like them when listening to classical or acoustic music rather than EDM.

The advantage can also be counted as disadvantage depending on that angle: they sound more even, but also less explosive as the originals. What they do better in turn is less notch around 500 Hz, similarly to the TX00 pads. All in all a nice way to experience a different sound from the TH900, and they are moddable, too...

Since I prefer the sound of my own modded pads and don't feel the need to go and mod them, if anyone in Europe is interested in getting my like-new Dekoni pads, PM me. I will list them on the sales forum soon.

How would you say the Dekoni pads compare to your modded TH900 pads? How can there be more mid presence if they are thicker than stock? I thought the whole purpose of the original mod was to increase mids by decreasing pad thickness, and therefore the distance between ear and driver, so I'm confused how the Dekoni has this property?

Dec 12, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #191 of 343
  How can there be more mid presence if they are thicker than stock? 

IMHO it is achieved mainly by choosing the filling material, and the different reverberation patterns in the cavity.

How would you say the Dekoni pads compare to your modded TH900 pads?

I haven't included that comparison since no one else has my modded pads. :)
They are very different from the Dekoni: the lower plate is plastic vs leather, the housing is thin and easily worn protein-leather vs real sheep leather, the filling is carbon foam vs memory foam, the foam shape is different, the earpad opening is larger, and the pads height is smaller. The Dekoni pads sound more neutral (with less colorations), but my modded pads sound more dynamic and more fun. If you go on modifying the original pads, it will likely not sound like mine, but they will change in similar direction. It's up to you how to fine-tune the sound based on instructions and experiences described in this thread.

Basically the Dekoni pads are recommended if someone wants more linear/less colored sound from their TH900, time to time, and doesn't want to go into modding the originals. As changing ear pads on the TH900 is matter of seconds when used with the cheap plastic locking plates available from your Fostex dealer, this gives a two-in-one solution, and IMHO it's better at that than with either Brainwavz pads (all of which I still have, too).

Dec 12, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #192 of 343
 IMHO it is achieved mainly by choosing the filling material, and the different reverberation patterns in the cavity.

Yeah I guess that makes sense. I've noticed with the original stock pads I currently have that you can get more bass punch (deep sub bass) just by rotating them (both, needless to say) a certain way. All my previous headphones have had flat pads so I don't really like this inconsistent sonic aspect of angled pads. Unless there's one standard way you're supposed to wear them, but then it's not like anyone tells you how.

It's up to you how to fine-tune the sound based on instructions and experiences described in this thread.

Think I'm gonna give it a go at some point. I'm clumsy as hell with DIY but the instructions seem logically well presented.

Jan 14, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #193 of 343
For the record, these days I am using the following, compared to the stock TH900:
- in the cups, instead of the polyfill, I use a small amount of Twaron Angelhair (http://www.twaron-angelhair.com/ ). Kudos to @playitloud . He uses the amount on the left, I am using the amount on the right.

- For the pads, I am still using the carbon foam filing described earlier in this thread. IMHO these make the biggest difference (for me). 

- For the damper ring, I alternate using the original foam damper and the felt damper described earlier in this thread. Both @playitloud and me are using slightly loose (trimmed) felt rings, for better transparency, clarity and extension. Right now I am using the original damper. This is the most tricky to get right, and the most personal tuning. The felt ring sounds more like the D7000 (softer and smoother), the foam ring like the stock TH900 (more bass, but better than the original because the pads filling).

Actually there is a lot of room for personal tuning for all these.

The Angelhair and the carbon foam pads both help with taming the treble. If you want more, then glue a thin self-adhesive felt ring (or even thick paper) on the driver magnet and the edges of the back side, but don't obstruct the holes.

Jan 14, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #194 of 343
  For the record, these days I am using the following, compared to the stock TH900:
- in the cups, instead of the polyfill, I use a small amount of Twaron Angelhair (http://www.twaron-angelhair.com/ ). Kudos to @playitloud . He uses the amount on the left, I am using the amount on the right.

- For the pads, I am still using the carbon foam filing described earlier in this thread. IMHO these make the biggest difference (for me). 

- For the damper ring, I alternate using the original foam damper and the felt damper described earlier in this thread. Both @playitloud and me are using slightly loose (trimmed) felt rings, for better transparency, clarity and extension. Right now I am using the original damper. This is the most tricky to get right, and the most personal tuning. The felt ring sounds more like the D7000 (softer and smoother), the foam ring like the stock TH900 (more bass, but better than the original because the pads filling).

Actually there is a lot of room for personal tuning for all these.

The Angelhair and the carbon foam pads both help with taming the treble. If you want more, then glue a thin self-adhesive felt ring (or even thick paper) on the driver magnet and the edges of the back side, but don't obstruct the holes.

Nice job! I might try swapping back to the foam rings soon for a little change in flavor.

Quick question: do you hear any ringing in your TH900s when you play extremely bassy music at moderate-loud volumes? I'm getting some ringing in mine, and I'm wondering if it's a driver  or enclosure issue. I'm using the first 8 seconds of the following track to test this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xQh13BxBUY

Jan 14, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #195 of 343

Quick question: do you hear any ringing in your TH900s when you play extremely bassy music at moderate-loud volumes? I'm getting some ringing in mine, and I'm wondering if it's a driver  or enclosure issue. I'm using the first 8 seconds of the following track to test this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xQh13BxBUY

On mine there is no ringing, even close to max volume, just clean, deep subterranean earth shaking bass, and aftershakes... wow. I wonder how the CD or high res version would sound...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back