Fostex TH900 MkII
Sep 13, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #1,472 of 1,501
Cross posting from the Summit thread, not enough Fostex love in the world :)

It's that time of year again. Onyx Black this time around, looks nice and subdued. Very evocative of the TRx Ebony in a good way.

1694054603697.png

1694054618057.png

1694054632839.png

1694054644560.png

1694054657645.png

1694054684287.png

They are up for pre order at Fostex vendors (MoonAudio, Audio46 etc).

Description mentions urushi, but the pics look very wood grain still. No circular groove on the cup either, really lets the wood show :) Quite different than prior black Anni 900s I've seen before.

Sep 14, 2023 at 1:56 AM Post #1,474 of 1,501
The TH900 original and the TH900 MKII sounds the same or there are differences?
The only difference is the detachable cable on the MKll. Some of the special editions like the Sapphire Blue and Pearl White have a different tuning, with less bass.

Sep 26, 2023 at 6:28 AM Post #1,476 of 1,501
To follow up on @Bret Halford calls for more Fostex love; I can thoroughly recommend these MMCX adaptors to open up a whole new dominion of cable choice.

IMG20230910104742.jpg
Beautiful headphones!!!

I was sceptical when I saw them on the website. Now I can see the real pictures of them. Perhaps the most beautiful headphones when it comes to classical style. How are they compared to other headphones regarding the bass? I know they have an excellent bass response, but how does it fare in comparison to the Denon D9200 or Sennheiser HD820? (I have them, and they have pretty good bass, unlike HD800S).

I'd like to have headphones with a really slam bass. Are these like that? I was thinking of Sony MDR Z1R, but they can't be bought in Europe. I am now between Denon and Fostex. Looking at these, I am even more keen on them. If they have a noticeably bigger, slammer bass than HD820, they will definitely be number 1 on my list soon.

I've just ordered Fostex's 50th anniversary; I'll get them probably tomorrow or Thursday.

Enjoy!

Cheers!

Sep 26, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #1,477 of 1,501
Beautiful headphones!!!

I was sceptical when I saw them on the website. Now I can see the real pictures of them. Perhaps the most beautiful headphones when it comes to classical style. How are they compared to other headphones regarding the bass? I know they have an excellent bass response, but how does it fare in comparison to the Denon D9200 or Sennheiser HD820? (I have them, and they have pretty good bass, unlike HD800S).

I'd like to have headphones with a really slam bass. Are these like that? I was thinking of Sony MDR Z1R, but they can't be bought in Europe. I am now between Denon and Fostex. Looking at these, I am even more keen on them. If they have a noticeably bigger, slammer bass than HD820, they will definitely be number 1 on my list soon.

I've just ordered Fostex's 50th anniversary; I'll get them probably tomorrow or Thursday.

Enjoy!

Cheers!
Don't know about the 50th anniversary edition specifically, but regular MK2 does slam harder than 820, and has better bass quality too.

Sep 27, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #1,478 of 1,501
To follow up on @Bret Halford calls for more Fostex love; I can thoroughly recommend these MMCX adaptors to open up a whole new dominion of cable choice.
^This is brilliant. I never use custom cables with mine because of the unique connector. Where did you find the adaptors?

Oct 3, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #1,480 of 1,501
@JollyJ picked them up from this seller on eBay. You can choose a combination of either black or transparent, and MMCX or 2 pin.
And now something completely different :) But seriously...I see you have a custom cable. I'd need an XLR. Do you have any recommendations for where to buy one?
Preferably around 100 euro.
Thanks!

Dec 13, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #1,481 of 1,501
Anyone gotten their hands on the onyx model? I tried the classic MK2 reds and even with the yaxi pads the highs were killing me. Otherwise I loved everything else about it. I was curious if those pads on the anniversary tuning would be a good fit to smooth out the top end. I see folks say it’s supposed to be tuned to mellow out the top but all of the graphs suggest it’s has higher peaks than the reds so I am confused 🙃

Dec 14, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #1,482 of 1,501
Anyone gotten their hands on the onyx model? I tried the classic MK2 reds and even with the yaxi pads the highs were killing me. Otherwise I loved everything else about it. I was curious if those pads on the anniversary tuning would be a good fit to smooth out the top end. I see folks say it’s supposed to be tuned to mellow out the top but all of the graphs suggest it’s has higher peaks than the reds so I am confused 🙃
Not yet. I’ve had my eye on it, but having a hard time justifying the expense while already owning the red.

My suggestion is to change your source and amp. Even though I’m sensitive to treble, the sound is perfect coming out of my Gold Note DS-10 Plus. I use the stock pads since every other pad took away the magic.

Dec 20, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #1,484 of 1,501
Have you tried th610 pads on th900? They bring up the mids and smoothen the treble. Slightly less subbass as well but there's still more than enough.

Dec 20, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #1,485 of 1,501
From personal experiences none of the pads are able to fully tame the highs. My favorite combination have been the yaxi pads with custom attenuators but even then the treble is still a bit too much.

I recommend trying the new ZMF Bokeh. The sound signature is somewhat similar but with less pronounced highs and bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back