Fostex TH900 MkII
Dec 27, 2023 at 11:36 PM Post #1,488 of 1,501
do i get the pearl whites or sony mdr z1r?

has anyone here listened to the Pearl White and Empire Ears Legend X? Curious how the sub bas compares of the 2
Can't comment on the legend x, but I've the EE Nemesis and it's like the IEM version of the TH900. I also used to have the mdr z1r but I sold it. The Sony is a darker headphone and the bass is there, but I like it better on the Fostex. Fostex is a very energetic headphone while the Sony is more mellow...

Dec 27, 2023 at 11:56 PM Post #1,489 of 1,501
Dec 28, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #1,490 of 1,501
Can't comment on the legend x, but I've the EE Nemesis and it's like the IEM version of the TH900. I also used to have the mdr z1r but I sold it. The Sony is a darker headphone and the bass is there, but I like it better on the Fostex. Fostex is a very energetic headphone while the Sony is more mellow...
Definitely agree with this statement. TH900 is much more energetic and fast while the Z1R is on the slow side but still hits very hard. I found the Z1R a bit more of an all arounder while the TH900 is more of a specializer that excels in a few things.

As someone who listens to a lot of vocal centric music I preferred the Z1R for that as they were more forward. For electronic both were pretty good but I think the TH900 wins due to the speed and subbass.

The one thing about the Z1R, is something about its tuning or the driver itself makes the music sound a little unnatural to me. It might be the slight peakiness that the Z1R has although the TH900 is definitely a brighter headphone, but the TH900 somehow sounds a bit more natural. Could be the biocellulose drivers which are known to have great timbre.

Mar 20, 2024 at 5:24 AM Post #1,492 of 1,501
When I first got my TH900’s, I almost immediately put Ori pads/ attenuation rings on. I was concerned about the hot treble mentioned by many reviews, and they immediately sounded bright coming from my Atticus, D7200’s. I did not have any issues installing the rings- you should be pinching the ring to the pad (index finger + thumb) as you lock it into place.

Fast forward a month or so later, I decided to A-B the stock pads. There really is no competition; the anemic donut stock pads are what make this headphone shine. In my experience, all other pads reduce the resolution, clarity, treble energy, and massive soundstage that makes the TH900 a masterpiece. I will mention Eikon solid Lambskin pads jacked up the mid-bass to a basshead wet dream level, but muffled the remaining frequencies.

Pads I tried with and without attenuation rings (all solid leather):

-Ori Lambskin
-Eikon Lambskin
-D7200 stock Sheepskin
-D7000 stock leather
-Dekoni Elite Sheepskin
-Drop TR-X00 stock leather
-E-MU Teak stock leather
-Brainwaves XL leather
What is the effect of using those Attenuation Rings exactly?
Do they even/flat out the frequency curve or do they just ease the bass a bit?

Mar 20, 2024 at 6:56 AM Post #1,493 of 1,501
What is the effect of using those Attenuation Rings exactly?
Do they even/flat out the frequency curve or do they just ease the bass a bit?
They actually bring up the bass and makes it somewhat more linear sounding. The attenuation rings can be an improvement depending on headphone.

Mar 20, 2024 at 12:31 PM Post #1,495 of 1,501
So these would only be needed for pads that lower bass right?
Dekoni Elite Sheepskin should be totally fine without them i guess, due to them chabging nearly nothing soundwise :)
Yes, although not a manufacturer direct replacement, I've had nothing but good luck using Dekoni pads on my headphones.

Mar 21, 2024 at 8:50 AM Post #1,497 of 1,501
Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #1,498 of 1,501

Users who are viewing this thread

Back