Fostex TH900 MkII
Mar 18, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #92 of 1,501
Yep, it was confirmed on page 2 that the only change was the removable cable. See below.

Quote:
I emailed Fostex in Japan regarding the driver with the MK2 - in Japanese of course, using Google Translate so not perfect. I asked if there was any difference in the driver of the MK2 and original TH900, since the specifications on the website were the same. Here is the answer I got just now from Fostex support.

Subject: TH900 MK2

Thank you for contact us.
My name is Fostex support team of SATO.

I would like answers for questions received TH900mk2.

The same thing in the TH900 and TH900mk2 drivers are no differences.
And changes in the TH900mk2 had become a removable system cable and
Purchase a balanced cable (sold separately) to the balanced connection is also available
I was like that.

Best regards.

So as per my suspicion since the specs (100 dB/mW, 1.8W max power on the driver & frequency response) were identical on the site and described the same exact way, there is no difference in the actual driver between the original and MKII.

Mar 18, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #94 of 1,501
@wavesound, thanks for finding that post, I thought I was loosing it
tongue.gif

Mar 19, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #96 of 1,501

Why's that? It's exactly the same, unless you're considering the removable cables as a negative.

Ha no problem.

Yes, the less connectors (interruptions) in the chain the better IMO.
That said, some headphones don't give you the choice (like Audeze, many Senns) but with the TH-900 you have the choice.
It does give the comfort if you frequently want to change cables though but if you only want to change it once I would hardwire it.
Some people do hardwire their HD800 for example.

Apr 15, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #98 of 1,501
  Yep, it was confirmed on page 2 that the only change was the removable cable. See below.

Quote:
I emailed Fostex in Japan regarding the driver with the MK2 - in Japanese of course, using Google Translate so not perfect. I asked if there was any difference in the driver of the MK2 and original TH900, since the specifications on the website were the same. Here is the answer I got just now from Fostex support.

Subject: TH900 MK2

Thank you for contact us.
My name is Fostex support team of SATO.

I would like answers for questions received TH900mk2.

The same thing in the TH900 and TH900mk2 drivers are no differences.
And changes in the TH900mk2 had become a removable system cable and
Purchase a balanced cable (sold separately) to the balanced connection is also available
I was like that.

Best regards.

So as per my suspicion since the specs (100 dB/mW, 1.8W max power on the driver & frequency response) were identical on the site and described the same exact way, there is no difference in the actual driver between the original and MKII.

So they added a removable cable and jacked the price $200? 

Amazing how in many other tech industries new products are released that build on the previous model and keep the same price point.

Apr 16, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #100 of 1,501
Yes... Sennheiser added a new cable, Beyer actually made the tuning better but kept the prices same. Fostex is a bit greedy. They could have at least tamed the treble peaks a bit.

Apr 16, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #101 of 1,501
mmm....my more than 1 year old TH 900 does not have that treble peak anymore. I guess you can credit that to burn-in (or perhaps I adjusted to the sound). All I can say is the TH 900 sounds much better than when I first bought it. But I agree that the MK II should have been re-tuned, even slightly, in the footsteps of Beyer in the case of the T1 and T1.2. I prefer the T1 (2. Gen)  over the T1 (although finding the right amp with the T1.2 is just as hard as with the T1). Can't seem to find just the right one.

Btt, for TH 900 Lawton level 3 modified owners: is it really that much better? I'm thinking of having mine done. Or should I just go for the MK II and find the right heapdhone cable? tia.

And my earpad is beginning to deteriorate (scaling).  Original replacement is USD80.00 plus shipping (out of their Singapore dealer). The earpads on my 2-year old ATH W3000 ANV is STILL PERFECT. Not happy.

Apr 16, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #102 of 1,501
  mmm....my more than 1 year old TH 900 does not have that treble peak anymore. I guess you can credit that to burn-in (or perhaps I adjusted to the sound). All I can say is the TH 900 sounds much better than when I first bought it. But I agree that the MK II should have been re-tuned, even slightly, in the footsteps of Beyer in the case of the T1 and T1.2. I prefer the T1 (2. Gen)  over the T1 (although finding the right amp with the T1.2 is just as hard as with the T1). Can't seem to find just the right one.

Btt, for TH 900 Lawton level 3 modified owners: is it really that much better? I'm thinking of having mine done. Or should I just go for the MK II and find the right heapdhone cable? tia.

And my earpad is beginning to deteriorate (scaling).  Original replacement is USD80.00 plus shipping (out of their Singapore dealer). The earpads on my 2-year old ATH W3000 ANV is STILL PERFECT. Not happy.

Or perhaps your ears aged?
tongue.gif

Apr 29, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #103 of 1,501
Moon Audio's product page also states the TH900 mk2 has a newly designed magnetic flux density 1.5 tesla driver unit in addition to the detachable cable.

Apr 30, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #104 of 1,501
  Moon Audio's product page also states the TH900 mk2 has a newly designed magnetic flux density 1.5 tesla driver unit in addition to the detachable cable.

This has been covered before. The wording for "newly designed magnetic flux density 1.5 tesla driver unit" is a copy-paste from the original Fostex TH900.

See below:

(from the Fostex main website: http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/TH-900.shtml)

Apr 30, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #105 of 1,501

This has been covered before. The wording for "newly designed magnetic flux density 1.5 tesla driver unit" is a copy-paste from the original Fostex TH900.

See below:

(from the Fostex main website: http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/TH-900.shtml)

Thanks. That is interesting that nothing changed except the cable being removable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back