Fostex TH900 MkII
Nov 3, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #736 of 1,501
You are just in the beginning of the road... Think in pads, cables and a match DAC and AMP for the beast :wink: ... Are the red ones?
Pads, probably yeah. At first I was fine with the TR pads but now I hate them. Should be ok with the stock cable and plan to run them off my RME. We will soon find out :D

Nov 3, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #737 of 1,501
You are just in the beginning of the road... Think in pads, cables and a match DAC and AMP for the beast :wink: ... Are the red ones?

I've just seen... The blue, I prefer them :smile:
I got lucky and found a shop with a few new blues in stock. My wallet does not consider himself so lucky though :frowning2:

Fostex 03.png

Nov 3, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #738 of 1,501
I got lucky and found a shop with a few new blues in stock. My wallet does not consider himself so lucky though :frowning2:

Fostex 03.png
Wow. That's all I can say. :heart_eyes:

Truly, this is one of the best-looking headphones made better, thanks to a more alluring color scheme (I've always preferred blue to red). Congrats!

Nov 3, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #739 of 1,501
Wow. That's all I can say. :heart_eyes:

Truly, this is one of the best-looking headphones made better, thanks to a more alluring color scheme (I've always preferred blue to red). Congrats!
Thanks. I wanted the greens but didn't find any in Europe. @Fegefeuer suggested a shop that might have Fostex limited editions and sure enough, they had the blues.

And last night while I was going over my accounts and waiting for this to arrive (sitting in DHL Germany over the weekend) I found Tyll's review of Fostex variants where he wrote about the TH-900 "these suck!"

Wow, I hope not :D

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #740 of 1,501
Thanks. I wanted the greens but didn't find any in Europe. @Fegefeuer suggested a shop that might have Fostex limited editions and sure enough, they had the blues.

And last night while I was going over my accounts and waiting for this to arrive (sitting in DHL Germany over the weekend) I found Tyll's review of Fostex variants where he wrote about the TH-900 "these suck!"

Wow, I hope not :D
I've disagreed with many of Tyll's assessments; for example, I love the MDR-Z1R, but he dislikes it. He loves the HD 800, but I hate it. Oh well, it's the subjective nature of the hobby rearing its head again.

In any case, I love the TH900 Mk2, and I hope you'll like it too. Do share your impressions once you've had a good run with them! :)

Nov 3, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #741 of 1,501
I've disagreed with many of Tyll's assessments; for example, I love the MDR-Z1R, but he dislikes it. He loves the HD 800, but I hate it. Oh well, it's the subjective nature of the hobby rearing its head again.

In any case, I love the TH900 Mk2, and I hope you'll like it too. Do share your impressions once you've had a good run with them! :)
I'm with you on this one. These definitely don't suck. I have been listening to songs I know really well, some I have been listening to for 30 or 40 years. I'm hearing them in ways I haven't heard them before. For instance I can heard studio echo or added reverb that I don't think I noticed before. I think it's because they're so fast, you just get a different sense of the music than with other cans I have. The V is almost non-existent. I'm running them out of my RME with EQ off, and vocals are almost perfect. TR-X00 sounds very V shaped compared at least if I remember right. I usually can't listen to vocals on the TR-X00 without some boost in the mids.

Stock cable must go! Looks well-built but horribly microphonic.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #742 of 1,501
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but has there been any conclusions with regards to how different mods compare amongst each other or to other biodynas? (Eg Emu Teak or Denons.) I'm tantalized by getting more bass but I doubt I could handle the treble issues.

EDIT: I consider EQ a mod here haha I just want to get the good part of the Th900s without the bad anyway I can haha

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #743 of 1,501
These definitely don't suck. I have been listening to songs I know really well, some I have been listening to for 30 or 40 years. I'm hearing them in ways I haven't heard them before. For instance I can heard studio echo or added reverb that I don't think I noticed before. I think it's because they're so fast, you just get a different sense of the music than with other cans I have. The V is almost non-existent. I'm running them out of my RME with EQ off, and vocals are almost perfect. TR-X00 sounds very V shaped compared at least if I remember right. I usually can't listen to vocals on the TR-X00 without some boost in the mids.

Stock cable must go! Looks well-built but horribly microphonic.
The thing I love most about the TH900 Mk2 is the sheer energy it exudes. It is probably the most engaging headphone in my collection. It fits like a glove with EDM (my preferred genre), blending an energetic treble section with thunderous, but very-well-textured bass. It immediately gets me into head tapping mode.. but alas, the clamp is so weak, it almost feels like it might fall off my head anytime! :sweat_smile:

Nov 4, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #744 of 1,501
They hurt my head! I need to figure out some method of padding the headstrap. I should have remembered this from my TRs. I need to find some special double sided tape where one side is designed to be removable.... 3M makes something but I only found it by the roll for like 150 UK pounds + shipping :frowning2:

My head is average size but I have these either closed or open one notch...

Nov 4, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #745 of 1,501
They hurt my head! I need to figure out some method of padding the headstrap. I should have remembered this from my TRs. I need to find some special double sided tape where one side is designed to be removable.... 3M makes something but I only found it by the roll for like 150 UK pounds + shipping :frowning2:

My head is average size but I have these either closed or open one notch...
I would recommend the ZMF Pilot Pad. I use one on these and also on my Denon D7000s and it makes them both very comfortable.

Nov 4, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #746 of 1,501
I would recommend the ZMF Pilot Pad. I use one on these and also on my Denon D7000s and it makes them both very comfortable.
@gimmeheadroom
I have a Pilot Pad on the way, too. In fact, I'm intending to use it with my TH900 Mk2, as I need to find a way to increase the "clamp". I'll report in again once it's here. :)

Nov 4, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #747 of 1,501
Beyer has something but even though I'm one country over they don't ship here. I'll see if I can source it. I think it's made from leather and is probably around 10 euros. I'll update if I have any news.

Really, my idea was to stick an HD 600 headpad to the headstrap. I bought one and have it here but I don't know of a non-destructive way to attach it aside from the unobtanium 3M tape I found on their site. BTW 3M support is a disgrace, they ignored several emails from me.

Nov 14, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #749 of 1,501
What's the blue plastic cover on the headphone plug? It seems obvious it's just for packing from the factory but as soon as I tear it off somebody will tell me I destroyed the cable and lost 500 euros in collector value :D

Dec 7, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #750 of 1,501
Hi All,
New member to the Fostex TH900-MKII family here. You can read my journey that lead me to these HP's here.... it was quite fun..... a lot of work, but worth it.

I have the red cup version. I love the sound of these HP's. I listen to primarily metal and rock, and secondarily EDM and classical, and these just sound great across all genres. I couldn't be happier with the sound.

I'm not optimistic I'll find another pair that sound better than these to my ears (the Denon d9200 also sounds great... but not better..., more like an equal). However, I noticed these pearl white MKII's at Moon Audio. Anyone know if the sound signature is different than the red ones I have?

edit 12/8: I've been searching and saw in a post somewhere that these new pearl white are the same tuning as the older sapphire ones..... anyone on here have both the red and sapphire? I'm curious as to the differences.?

edit 12/9: I've been looking into it, and I'm going to try to order a pair of the pearl white.

edit 12/11: Pearl white ordered!

Anyone using Dekoni earpads? Any impression for the leather version with holes Vs the one without?

I know you posted this a while ago @musicday so maybe no longer relevant. So FWIW, yes, I use Dekoni ear pads. I didn't care much for the stock pads, and I tried probably 10 different pads before settling on these..... all the Dekoni ones, Brainwavz, etc and even different brands like Audeze and others. Most of these pads altered the sound substantially. To my ears, all of them - save one - changed the sound for the worst..... usually by either mudding the bass or treble, two aspects that make these HP's so attractive to begin with. The ONLY ones I found to actually improve the sound were the "Dekoni Audio Memory Foam Replacement Ear Pads Compatible with Fostex TH-X00 Series Headphones (Elite Sheepskin)". Comfort is only ok, but it's not bad.... still better than stock IMHO. The sound is fantastic.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back