Fostex TH900 MkII
Oct 24, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #722 of 1,500
Comfort-wise, I'd rate the following headphones in order -
  1. Sony MDR-Z1R
  2. Sony MDR-Z7M2
  3. Fostex TH900 Mk2
  4. Denon AH-D9200
Thanks for the ranking.!

I'm currently using Yaxi pads with my Fostex, and it feels a little better than the stock ones.
I found these measurements for the Yaxi pads: Inner Diameter: 53mm*66mm. Is it accurate? the same measurement as the stock ones?

Thanks

Oct 24, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #723 of 1,500
Anyone using Dekoni earpads? Any impression for the leather version with holes Vs the one without?

Here are my comparisons, using TH-610 pads as reference:

Dekoni hybrid - bass is not as perfect, doesn't hit as hard and as deep.
Dekoni Fenestrated - better than hybrid, but still not as good as 610
Dekoni TH900 Sheepskin - very similar to 610, better than 900 originals. Bass rumble is slightly worse than 610. Other than bass, possibly sounds better.
HD9999 thick pads - bass is as great as 610, sounds a bit darker and less clarity in the mids
TH900 original pads - bass rumble isn't good, doesn't sound as coherent as 610, slightly airier presentation with more recessed mids

Oct 25, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #725 of 1,500
Then I think I will be getting the sheepskin for the TH900. I will be using them for the Monitor 5. Thanks for taking your time to write the comparisons above.
This , Dekoni Audio Elite Fenestrated Sheepskin really opened the soundstage and made it a bit less bass canon. I liked it , but I like the canons too.

Oct 25, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #726 of 1,500
Thanks, but don't worry, I only use non-alcoholic wipes on my headphones (and IEMs). :)
I'm not worried about you, I'm worried about guys who are not experts like you who will read your post and not figure it out until they remove paint from their cups :frowning2:

Oct 25, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #727 of 1,500
I'm not worried about you, I'm worried about guys who are not experts like you who will read your post and not figure it out until they remove paint from their cups :frowning2:
I wouldn't call myself an expert, but more of a veteran, perhaps?

In any case, you're right - it is important to highlight the use of wipes that are alcohol-free. I actually learned this the hard way many years back, when I attempted to clean dust off of my Audio-Technica ATH-PRO700MK2, with tissue soaked in alcohol. The end result? Parts of the rubber coating actually peeled off, resulting in an an uneven surface across the exterior of the cups. The headphones looked diseased after that, and they've been home-bound ever since.

Oct 25, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #729 of 1,500
Have you tried the sheepskin not fenestrated? Also do you think pure silver cable will work best for it? What cable do you use of I can ask?
I tried many cables and I liked the stock cable and the cable from Lawton Audio. If you want a wider soundstage and less V Shape then the Fens , the other one is nice and pretty much keeps the stock sound.

Oct 29, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #730 of 1,500
I tried many cables and I liked the stock cable and the cable from Lawton Audio. If you want a wider soundstage and less V Shape then the Fens , the other one is nice and pretty much keeps the stock sound.
Not sure how to read this. Did you mean the fenestrated have wider soundstage and less V shape, and the normal sheepskin is closer to stock?

Oct 29, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #731 of 1,500
Not sure how to read this. Did you mean the fenestrated have wider soundstage and less V shape, and the normal sheepskin is closer to stock?
Yes

Nov 3, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #733 of 1,500
You guys are costing me a lot of money :D

Fostex 02.png

Nov 3, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #734 of 1,500
I almost forgot to show the outside of the box.

Fostex 01.png

Nov 3, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #735 of 1,500
You guys are costing me a lot of money :D

You are just in the beginning of the road... Think in pads, cables and a match DAC and AMP for the beast :wink: ... Are the red ones?

I've just seen... The blue, I prefer them :smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back