Fostex TH900 MkII
Oct 6, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #661 of 1,501
These headphones becomes much better with power. I listened Asfar(Le Trio Joubran), which is great to test natural bass, with DX200 AMP9(korg nutube), then used DX200 just as a transport for Ifi Black. It is more airy, has bigger soundstage.
I used ultrashort adapters to convert 2.5mm balanced to 3.5mm unbalanced; then to 6.3mm for IFi black. I did not feel any loss.

In the midddle , there is S-EM9 with the same balanced cables attached for A/B test.

20191006_164457.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #662 of 1,501
These headphones becomes much better with power. I listened Asfar(Le Trio Joubran), which is great to test natural bass, with DX200 AMP9(korg nutube), then used DX200 just as a transport for Ifi Black. It is more airy, has bigger soundstage.
I used ultrashort adapters to convert 2.5mm balanced to 3.5mm unbalanced; then to 6.3mm for IFi black. I did not feel any loss.

In the midddle , there is S-EM9 with the same balancdd cables attached for A/B test.

Cayin N8 tube amp with TH900 epic sound.

Oct 6, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #663 of 1,501
Cayin N8 tube amp with TH900 epic sound.
I am thinking of buying LPGT. Did you listen TH900 with LPGT? LPGT with an optimized PMEQ is said to sound exceptional.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #664 of 1,501
am thinking of buying LPGT. Did you listen TH900 with LPGT? LPGT with an optimized PMEQ is said to sound exceptional.
Its pretty good , but for me the N8 with the th900 sounded better through the N8s solid state amp and better on the N8s tube amp. Plus the N8s balanced 4.4 is very transparent.

Oct 6, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #665 of 1,501
Its pretty good , but for me the N8 with the th900 sounded better through the N8s solid state amp and better on the N8s tube amp. Plus the N8s balanced 4.4 is very transparent.
Did you have a chance to try SP2000cu?

Oct 6, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #666 of 1,501
Did you have a chance to try SP2000cu?
I demoed it twice and , soundwise , I preferred the sp1000 and the AK amp , but I sold it cause Im enjoying the N8 and N6II. The Hifiman R2R sounds pretty good.

Oct 18, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #667 of 1,501
Dec 28, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #668 of 1,501
I just got mine yesterday for about 900USD it is a demo unit, but still in complete packaging and accessories.

The pads is already flaking due to usage and there are paint chips on the swivels not really that noticeable, but other than that the headphone still looks very good, which I think says a lot about the built quality of this hp.

I was originally planning to get the HE5se from HifiMan, but upon knowing the selling price of this, it is hard to pass on this especially if you know how much the price and how good the SQ of this HP really is.

But overall I am very glad that I got this instead of the HE5se, this sounds way better than the 5se and also since this is one of my dream headphones it is just that I am not that financially abled yet to afford the original price haha.

Just need to save up for the new pads and an XLR custom cable.

Also IMO this is easily one of the best looking headphones ever created.

Dec 28, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #669 of 1,501
I just got mine yesterday for about 900USD it is a demo unit, but still in complete packaging and accessories.

The pads is already flaking due to usage and there are paint chips on the swivels not really that noticeable, but other than that the headphone still looks very good, which I think says a lot about the built quality of this hp.

I was originally planning to get the HE5se from HifiMan, but upon knowing the selling price of this, it is hard to pass on this especially if you know how much the price and how good the SQ of this HP really is.

But overall I am very glad that I got this instead of the HE5se, this sounds way better than the 5se and also since this is one of my dream headphones it is just that I am not that financially abled yet to afford the original price haha.

Just need to save up for the new pads and an XLR custom cable.

Also IMO this is easily one of the best looking headphones ever created.
I have 6 , but MKI.
20190326_184337.jpg

Dec 28, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #670 of 1,501

In the midddle , there is S-EM9 with the same balanced cables attached for A/B test.

hmmm, actually they’re quite efficient and you can drive them perfectly practically from any decent clean amp.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #672 of 1,501

What pads is that? And how does it sounds compared to the stock pads?

Feb 26, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #673 of 1,501
Any advice / tips for increasing the clamping pressure? These fall of my head unless I keep completely still and my head upright!

Apr 21, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #674 of 1,501
Any advice / tips for increasing the clamping pressure? These fall of my head unless I keep completely still and my head upright!

Only real solution that I can think of is either bending the headband itself or try using a thicker pad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back