Fostex TH900 MkII
Jul 1, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #421 of 1,501
I just received the Dekoni Premium TH-900 fenestrated sheepskin
First impression ,, wow what a bass killer :expressionless:
The original non fenestrated , is more alive , grrrr ..

I agree. I tried driving the TH-900 straight from my DX200 dap and it sounded so lifeless. Full sized headphones benefit from more power, and if @AudioThief is using EQ like I am for BASSSSS, then more power is definitely needed.
For me the bass is more than enough with the Lawton pads , i just pump the EQ around 500hz few dB's

Jul 1, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #422 of 1,501
I just received the Dekoni Premium TH-900 fenestrated sheepskin
First impression ,, wow what a bass killer :expressionless:
The original non fenestrated , is more alive , grrrr ..

For me the bass is more than enough with the Lawton pads , i just pump the EQ around 500hz few dB's
Ooo no way, dont touch the bass. Ill pass on it.

Jul 3, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #423 of 1,501
I don't know how resolving the DFR is, but what I'm trying to say is that you will have a TOTL Fostex headphone, so having a higher end DAC and AMP would only benefit you more.

Usually, when you upgrade to a new price tier ($100+ vs $500+ vs $1k+), it's a good idea to upgrade your whole system. I'm not saying you need to drop $1k on a DAC and AMP, because there are great products out there that shoot way above their price point. The Schiit Jotunheim for example. Although that's definitely brighter than their other offerings, but it pairs great with dark or neutral headphones.

I went from using the internal Jotunheim DAC to the iBasso DX200 USB DAC, and it was a a pretty noticeable step up in quality.

You've been very helpful with your feedback. What do you think about the Burson HA-160 + DFR or an upgraded DAC?

I'm basically trying to look at the used options first, simply because its more bang for buck. I'm willing to spend somewhere around 600-700$ for the amp + dac.

Jul 3, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #424 of 1,501
You've been very helpful with your feedback. What do you think about the Burson HA-160 + DFR or an upgraded DAC?

I'm basically trying to look at the used options first, simply because its more bang for buck. I'm willing to spend somewhere around 600-700$ for the amp + dac.
Fostex Dac/Amp sounded great.

Jul 3, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #425 of 1,501

Fostex HP-A8 amp/dac is very nice option in your budget .. i have it and to my ears sound expensive and compete with the some of the best.

Jul 3, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #426 of 1,501
Fostex HP-A8 amp/dac is very nice option in your budget .. i have it and to my ears sound expensive and compete with the some of the best.
I tested the Fostex to seven other higher priced set ups and I preferred the sound from the Fostex.

Jul 3, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #427 of 1,501
Thanks for the suggestion guys. I read some reviews and found the Marantz HD-DAC1 tested favourably comparing it to the hp-a8. Here in Norway, the Marantz is around 1300$ while the marantz is 700$.

Jul 3, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #428 of 1,501
Thanks for the suggestion guys. I read some reviews and found the Marantz HD-DAC1 tested favourably comparing it to the hp-a8. Here in Norway, the Marantz is around 1300$ while the marantz is 700$.
too bad you cant do a real live test before buying. A review is part correct and part incorrect. Which HP they used, what music ? What style of music they enjoy ? I have been living in HK for 11 yes. I can demo every set up before buying it. Some shops has 15 different amps and w0 different dacs. Most of the time things will not actually march up to the reviews.

Jul 3, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #429 of 1,501

Not sure, as I haven't heard Burson amps. The HA-160 seems like an old model though. I think that got replaced with the Soloist models.

What about the Audeze Deckard?

Jul 3, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #430 of 1,501
too bad you cant do a real live test before buying. A review is part correct and part incorrect. Which HP they used, what music ? What style of music they enjoy ? I have been living in HK for 11 yes. I can demo every set up before buying it. Some shops has 15 different amps and w0 different dacs. Most of the time things will not actually march up to the reviews.

Your city has many million more inhabitants than my entire country :) Sucks to be interested in high end audio gear in Norway, unfortunately - especially for me because I live very very far north in a small town of only 60k people.

@ctaxxxx, yeah it was released in 2010 or 2011 I believe. The Deckard is a bit over my threshold - its 1000$ here.

Jul 4, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #431 of 1,501
get it from ebay with free shipping from japan ,, here
and it is very easy to convert it to 220v , just small cable switch inside it , only take 5min.

Jul 4, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #432 of 1,501
I tested the Fostex to seven other higher priced set ups and I preferred the sound from the Fostex.
yeh it is unknown gem,, so sad it is not popular here ..

Not sure, as I haven't heard Burson amps. The HA-160 seems like an old model though. I think that got replaced with the Soloist models.

What about the Audeze Deckard?
I have both ,, HPA8 have wider deeper sound stage , with much cleaner sound and darker background ..
Deckard is good alternative specially with mids ,, but should use the iPurifier with it to get the best of it ..

Jul 4, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #433 of 1,501
yeh it is unknown gem,, so sad it is not popular here ..

I have both ,, HPA8 have wider deeper sound stage , with much cleaner sound and darker background ..
Deckard is good alternative specially with mids ,, but should use the iPurifier with it to get the best of it ..
I think the Fostex amp/dac holds a SD card also has a remote.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #434 of 1,501
I think the Dostex amp/dac holds a SD card also has a remote.
yep + it has more inputs/outputs varieties ,, more advanced DAC ,, and the most important feature to me
a gain switch with 20 level from 0.5 to 20 which you can tailor the amp to any headphone you like,
the only disadvantage i see is that it is not good with high impedance headphones like the Beyerdynamic T1.

Jul 4, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #435 of 1,501
yep + it has more inputs/outputs varieties ,, more advanced DAC ,, and the most important feature to me
a gain switch with 20 level from 0.5 to 20 which you can tailor the amp to any headphone you like,
the only disadvantage i see is that it is not good with high impedance headphones like the Beyerdynamic T1.
I tried the 7100 , 7200 , and TH900 with it and its sound was better than all the rest. I didnt try Beyer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back