Fostex TH900 MkII
Mar 25, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #301 of 1,501
Just checked—shipped on March 4, 2016 from Tal @ Digital DJ Gear. They had just become available... 

Apr 4, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #303 of 1,501
Hi All,
I am considering the MkII in a trade for my LCD-X.  I have no experience at all with Fostex.  I read thru this thread and David Mahler's review of the original TH900.  Seems like a good, closed can w/ many favorable comments out there.

All my current cans are open:  HD800, LDC-X, Ether Flow.  My only experience with closed cans were:  Ultrasone Ed-8 and LCD-XC.  Didn't really care for the closed experience, so sold/gifted those away.

Can y'all offer advice - would the MkII be a good addition to my HP line-up?  Thanks for your advice.

Cheers,
RCB

Apr 4, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #304 of 1,501
  Hi All,
I am considering the MkII in a trade for my LCD-X.  I have no experience at all with Fostex.  I read thru this thread and David Mahler's review of the original TH900.  Seems like a good, closed can w/ many favorable comments out there.

All my current cans are open:  HD800, LDC-X, Ether Flow.  My only experience with closed cans were:  Ultrasone Ed-8 and LCD-XC.  Didn't really care for the closed experience, so sold/gifted those away.

Can y'all offer advice - would the MkII be a good addition to my HP line-up?  Thanks for your advice.

Cheers,
RCB

It will give you a very different sound from the HD800 and Ether Flow, much more V shaped with bass that the other 2 can't touch but the highs can be sibilant for some since its not as smooth/refined like the HD800 and Ether Flow.  Also, they are not fully closed since they leak sound, not as much a an open back but its noticeable to someone sitting next to you but this also gives them a decent sound stage compared to most closed headphones.

Apr 4, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #305 of 1,501
Hi All,

Cheers,
RCB

If you are after one of the best sounding headphones ever created, then the TH900 is a sure bet. If your looking for the best dynamic audiophile can, that is engaging, polarizing, and physically fun... TH900. I expect those that comment on treble being too spicy, my be running at at levels that may be questionably safe (I'm completly guilty) because the TH will extend, punch, and go the distance if you wanna venture there.

Apr 5, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #307 of 1,501

Apr 5, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #309 of 1,501
Apr 5, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #310 of 1,501
I want to thank you all for your advice on the TH900 Mk2.  As always, Head-Fi friends are the best source of good information.

Cheers -
RCBinTN

Apr 6, 2017 at 6:29 AM Post #312 of 1,501
Gosh, they are beautiful.
Are them too heavy and/or not well padded on the headband? Cause they look hefty and heavy and was wondering if they would generate me headache by the pressure of their weight.
For me they feel very light and are very comfortable. My issue is I like it so much I am trying to use one of them outdoors on my commute. Yes they are closed hp but they are not fully closed. This makes them sound very airy with a wide sound stage but it doesnt help me when Im outside. My 3 hr commute I get 2 hrs of very good listening but 1 hr of noises entering my hp. One pair has stock pads the other has Mark Lawton angle pads. Stock seems to help cause it seems more bass. Im testing to see which works best outdoors.

Apr 6, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #313 of 1,501
For me they feel very light and are very comfortable. My issue is I like it so much I am trying to use one of them outdoors on my commute. Yes they are closed hp but they are not fully closed. This makes them sound very airy with a wide sound stage but it doesnt help me when Im outside. My 3 hr commute I get 2 hrs of very good listening but 1 hr of noises entering my hp. One pair has stock pads the other has Mark Lawton angle pads. Stock seems to help cause it seems more bass. Im testing to see which works best outdoors.

Oh, i see. So weight is not an issue.
What do you think of the headband padding, on the photos it seems to have a very thin or not at all.

Apr 6, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #314 of 1,501
Oh, i see. So weight is not an issue.
What do you think of the headband padding, on the photos it seems to have a very thin or not at all.
Trust me comfort is not even a thought when I have them on. Weight is evenly placed. I dont even feel any weight on top of my head. I have used it for my 3 hr journey. For indoors this is a perfect hp. The cups are pretty big, my elephant ears fits inside them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back